standard headset weight

Related:
Create New Tag

2/19/2014 5:59 PM

okay So, I'm going to switch my forks to Shadow Vultus, which has a 26mm offset...

in order to do this, I'll need to remove my current headset, and install a Mechanic S.T.I
which weighs 4.1oz

I was hoping maybe somebody has a run of the mill el-cheepo complete standard headset they could weigh for me? I'm trying to do some estimations....

Changing the forks will drop by bike from 26.94 pounds (dk lied when they said 26 pounds...) to 26 pounds dead... I'd like to drop it to 25 if possible, cranks are most likely the next thing to change.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/19/2014 6:04 PM

nope.

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]

follow me on instagram! @neck_brace
also go like my media page on facebook! jiraffe media
also follow jiraffe media on insta! @jiraffe_media

2/19/2014 6:06 PM

Oh god, get the popcorn..

|

2/19/2014 6:10 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Oh god, get the popcorn..

LOL this.
inb4 people calling him a weight weenie

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

2/19/2014 6:10 PM

i'm waiting to see who throws the first stone...

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

2/19/2014 6:14 PM

know whats funny, my bike stock weighs closer to 27 pounds... and i've been practicing with pegs.... so its 28.04 pounds... how much do your bikes weigh stock? 25? hmm? call me a weight weenie >;3

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/19/2014 6:18 PM

Lol i have put 110 dollars into my bike and it weighs 26 without pegs.. and that is tioo light for me.

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

2/19/2014 6:28 PM

Headset ( pos) weight 6.6 oz

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

2/19/2014 6:29 PM

Brian_Griffin wrote:

Headset ( pos) weight 6.6 oz

thank you helpful person!

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/19/2014 6:34 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

know whats funny, my bike stock weighs closer to 27 pounds... and i've been practicing with pegs.... so its 28.04 pounds... how much do your bikes weigh stock? 25? hmm? call me a weight weenie >;3

I started on a 30 something pound Mongoose then transferred to to a 30lb Haro, then to my original Sunday with a bunch of stock parts which weighed 28lbs for almost 2 or 3 years & I did not care. My current, all custom bike weighs just over 25lbs.

You're dropping 2.5oz & acting like that's a huge deal, it is not. You won't even notice it. Take the change out of your pocket before you go ride, that'll probably drop some more weight. Also, get a haircut. That'll shave off a small fraction of weight too. While you're at it, just ride a scooter. They're significantly lighter!

|

2/19/2014 6:47 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I started on a 30 something pound Mongoose then transferred to to a 30lb Haro, then to my original Sunday with a bunch of stock parts which weighed 28lbs for almost 2 or 3 years & I did not care. My current, all custom bike weighs just over 25lbs.

You're dropping 2.5oz & acting like that's a huge deal, it is not. You won't even notice it. Take the change out of your pocket before you go ride, that'll probably drop some more weight. Also, get a haircut. That'll shave off a small fraction of weight too. While you're at it, just ride a scooter. They're significantly lighter!

honestly i dont really care about the weight. but i've got cash coming and I care about making my bike more responsive(where the 26mm offset comes in) the weight is just a little thing I'd like to know cuz why not.

what change? just got a haircut... I like my beard so lay off, scooters suck, unless its a mo-ped and oh yeah scooters suck.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/19/2014 6:50 PM

Time to buy some weights

|

2/19/2014 6:52 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

honestly i dont really care about the weight. but i've got cash coming and I care about making my bike more responsive(where the 26mm offset comes in) the weight is just a little thing I'd like to know cuz why not.

what change? just got a haircut... I like my beard so lay off, scooters suck, unless its a mo-ped and oh yeah scooters suck.

A head of hair can weigh a couple ounces, quick google search tells me about 1-4 ounces.. Shave your head bald, you'll save a lot of weight that way! Shave your beard too, that'll probably shave off (pun intended) another ounce if you're lucky. If you're a leg hair-heavy guy, shave them too. that could result in another ounce or 2 of weight savings!

|

2/19/2014 6:57 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

A head of hair can weigh a couple ounces, quick google search tells me about 1-4 ounces.. Shave your head bald, you'll save a lot of weight that way! Shave your beard too, that'll probably shave off (pun intended) another ounce if you're lucky. If you're a leg hair-heavy guy, shave them too. that could result in another ounce or 2 of weight savings!

haha, I've got allot more then that I can get rid of(and am in process of) COULD TAKE A LEG OFF TOO! I sooo dont need them... wait... nvm..

=====this thread has no been officially ended by the poster(on the wall)=====

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/19/2014 7:03 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

haha, I've got allot more then that I can get rid of(and am in process of) COULD TAKE A LEG OFF TOO! I sooo dont need them... wait... nvm..

=====this thread has no been officially ended by the poster(on the wall)=====

A leg weighs about 15%-22% of your whole body weight, so you probably should.. if you weigh say, 150lbs, that's roughly 27 & 3/4lbs, round up to 28lbs.. that would be like your whole bike and you wouldn't even notice the weight anymore!!

|

2/19/2014 7:04 PM

Just think things through before you start buying parts.. You can spend $500 just to shave off a few lbs. What that will bring your bike to 25 lbs. You can get a sick ride and be done 4 that price.. see what i mean

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

2/19/2014 7:11 PM

Brian_Griffin wrote:

Just think things through before you start buying parts.. You can spend $500 just to shave off a few lbs. What that will bring your bike to 25 lbs. You can get a sick ride and be done 4 that price.. see what i mean

No yeah, I do... trust me I'm the kind of guy who will think of everything 5 times before trying it. I like my bike for what it is the same steel and all would have cost me triple what I paid for my bike, even though it would still weigh less. considering I got my bike for about 160 bucks and its Chromoly with a mid bb I'm not looking at another bike unless the frame brakes. which probably wont be any time soon....

Thanks Brain for being helpful smile

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/19/2014 7:18 PM

I was watching Dave Mirras bike check and he said that his bike only weighed 20lbs, how do you even get a bike that light?

|

2/19/2014 7:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2014 7:22 PM

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/19/2014 7:23 PM

BMXSkater wrote:

I was watching Dave Mirras bike check and he said that his bike only weighed 20lbs, how do you even get a bike that light?

Buy light parts? I've dicked around on Danscomp just for the hell of it & made the heaviest bike I could, lightest, most expensive & cheapest, and I remember the lightest was around 18 or 19lbs, I forget if that was titanium added into the mix as well. Could probably drop it a little more adding race parts.

Light bikes just don't feel that great, they're too easy to to swing around & TOO light of a bike always feels like it'll break. I rode around a 12lb mini racer bike at the shop before just making sure it rode okay, and just riding that light of a bike I felt like I would shatter it to pieces simply riding it.

|

2/19/2014 7:46 PM

Weight shouldnt be a factor, I ride for exercise, so the heavier the better

|

2/19/2014 7:51 PM

BMXSkater wrote:

Weight shouldnt be a factor, I ride for exercise, so the heavier the better

Weight makes a difference but to a certain degree. heavier bikes make it seem a lot harder to start with, but you learn on that & gradually transfer to a lighter bike, things will be a lot easier to pull off. But that doesn't mean a light bike will give you instant skills or simply riding a heavy bike, not learning anything, then going to a light bike will either.

if you're riding for exercise, have you thought of changing your gearing up?

|

2/19/2014 8:11 PM

Seriously, you are such a weight weenie.. Real good parts have to weight average or heavier. Anything too light is not prone to last unless there are certain circumstances. You might as well go get thin Demolition Momentum's or Machete's for tires, ultra light tubes, cut down your bars to like 26" wide, cut down the seatpost to like 75mm long, stick to fully plastic pegs, get a thinner sprocket and in the lowest possible tooth count, a fully plastic seat, and get 48H rims and lace 36H hubs to them so that there are extra spoke holes left to shave off all that weight!!!!

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

2/19/2014 8:11 PM

I ride 28/9, which is perfect cause my neighborhood is full of hills, I ride the whole neighborhood non stop just to get warmed up, its like a big obstacle course jumping stair sets, gaps, and then I go practice flat at the basketball court

|

2/19/2014 8:15 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Seriously, you are such a weight weenie.. Real good parts have to weight average or heavier. Anything too light is not prone to last unless there are certain circumstances. You might as well go get thin Demolition Momentum's or Machete's for tires, ultra light tubes, cut down your bars to like 26" wide, cut down the seatpost to like 75mm long, stick to fully plastic pegs, get a thinner sprocket and in the lowest possible tooth count, a fully plastic seat, and get 48H rims and lace 36H hubs to them so that there are extra spoke holes left to shave off all that weight!!!!

I think I might do that to my wifes bike lol, shes a weight weenie

|

2/19/2014 11:50 PM

Bikes are getting flimsier because kids are getting flimsier. Try pumping some Iron. The weight of a Stem is not going to make or brake your bike. Personal I would get a stem that does not have any cutouts in the clamp area, they F-up your bars. I have the Animal MR TL Stem, which has no cut outs in the clamp area and It looks awesome. Its not to bad on weight either. I also have S&M Grand Slam XLT's which go awesome with the Animal stem.

|

2/19/2014 11:52 PM

For some reason I replied about a Stem, oops. Get an Animal Headset.

|

2/20/2014 12:40 AM

michael.eckhart wrote:

Bikes are getting flimsier because kids are getting flimsier. Try pumping some Iron. The weight of a Stem is not going to make or brake your bike. Personal I would get a stem that does not have any cutouts in the clamp area, they F-up your bars. I have the Animal MR TL Stem, which has no cut outs in the clamp area and It looks awesome. Its not to bad on weight either. I also have S&M Grand Slam XLT's which go awesome with the Animal stem.

Yeah.. My Animal Jumpoff Remix stem has like almost the whole entire middle of the stem hollowed out.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

2/20/2014 5:34 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

dkTechEthan wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Hahahahahahah

|

2/20/2014 5:46 AM

Who gives a Fuck about headsets weight?

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx