starting a new workout.

Related:
Create New Tag

2/9/2015 3:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2015 4:05 AM

maybe this should have gone into the non-bmx talk, but whatever. it fits in both...

starting a new workout regimen,i just did 2 miles on my indoor bike, and my legs are on fire. i think im just gonna start getting up earlier in the morning and do 2 or 3 miles on the recumbent bike in the morning before i shower and get ready for work and stuff. any recommendations for exercises to build up leg strength, drop weight and build some core strength, i've started to look on freecycle and craigslist for weight sets (not that I really have room for any, but a couple dumbbells i could shove somewhere.

im at 275-260ish area, its up and down, if i can get down to 220, or 210 i'll be a happy camper...
so specifically im looking at...
weight dropping-cuz my real bike is already light enough at 26.12
core strength- for endurance
leg strength, for pumps and whips
arm strength, for pulling up and handplants and stuff.
specific foods, and drinks to have, and avoid and their benefit.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/9/2015 5:38 AM

squats don't even need weights

ive been doing 100 every other day with some push ups and some rotator cuff muscle exercises with light weight dumbbells

i also know a great core exercise call the ladder where you get in a push up position and walk on your hands side ways about 10 feet back and froth for a minute or two, when i was in therapy for my shoulder this is one of the things they had me do to me it felt like i got the best results from this ecexercise compared to all the other stuff they had me doing, they actually had some ladder looking thing they layed on the floor but i don't think its necessary

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

2/9/2015 6:45 AM

Just riding your bike will help you the most to build the muscles you need.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

2/9/2015 7:21 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Obviously the more you ride, the better you'll get, but there is nothing wrong with working out to help make riding easier.

Palladis helps. I am in a class that we do a lot of that stuff in and it honestly balances me more and makes riding more comfortable. I used to suffer from foot pain after work and now that i'm more balanced i don't. ALL movement on a bike uses your core (although it may not feel like it.) So doing that actually helps your back, and the rest of your muscles. Don't knock it til you try it.

Plus Palladis doesn't use weights and mixed with yoga stretches it makes you feel so much better. Not while you're doing it though, it hurts like a bitch but once you're used to it you start to feel better.

I lifted weights back when i hit puberty XD. It's actually a good thing to do because if pumped me up a little faster than it would've back then and helped my muscles develop in a stronger way! Lifting weights and indoor bikes won't drop pounds as fast as some serious cardio. Running certain ways, go for a jog if you get the chance. It's not about how fast you run, it's about consistency and keeping your heart rate up.

Eating healthy is HUGE. Instead of a bowl of Fruity Pebbles, eat a banana and a spoonful of peanut butter. Or a good soy protein shake. Just make sure you don't rely on protein shakes to kill cravings. They can actually mess stuff up. Soy has estrogen in it though, but is better for your body so don't have too much of that ever. Just when you absolutely need it.

Water is a big factor in my weight. If i drink a lot of water i start to slim down. It's a natural cleanser for your body and can really help detoxify your systems. So instead of a soda (even if it's diet) just have a bottle of water. It may not be as exciting, but getting a fine girl to look at you differently because you have a better body, is more exciting than any soda!!

So yeah. Weight is all about making better choices. There is this factor on how to lose weight and should always work. If you balance your caloric intake with your activity, you won't lose weight. If you eat less and work more, you'll lose weight. SImple as that. Muscle build up will come and usually in the process of losing weight you'll gain some muscle!

Good luck dude. Pain is only weakness leaving the body. No matter how hard it gets, keep going. it's worth it!

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

2/9/2015 7:23 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

not true i use to think that now my body is messed up and i have to work on muscles that biking didn't help

like my chest abbs and certaicertain shoulder muscles

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

2/9/2015 7:26 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

not true i use to think that now my body is messed up and i have to work on muscles that biking didn't help

like my chest abbs and certaicertain shoulder muscles

Yeah. Biking wont work your chest much at all. Push ups will.

You'll gain skill on bikes but if you don't exercise all your muscles it may even keep you from learning tricks. haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

2/9/2015 7:33 AM

I don't really work out. Just riding is enough for me. It is my workout, especially when my bike is 30 pounds.

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

2/9/2015 7:47 AM

Mtb if you want to really get a bike workout. Bmx is good on the chest if you pump a lot I've found. If I'm bored I use strength bands while watching top gear or something.

|

2/9/2015 8:36 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

You should do a little extra exercising to stay ahead of the injuries. Strengthen your muscles up and you will do a LOT better.

Plus if you are a big dude like me, riding a few times a week for a couple hours isn't enough to lose 30-40 lbs. You gotta do more.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/9/2015 9:50 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

You should do a little extra exercising to stay ahead of the injuries. Strengthen your muscles up and you will do a LOT better.

Plus if you are a big dude like me, riding a few times a week for a couple hours isn't enough to lose 30-40 lbs. You gotta do more.

It may not be the most healthy way, but it sounded like he wants to get fit just for bmx. If that is true you might as well just ride.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

2/9/2015 9:56 AM

If you just want to loose weight do a HIIT workout every morning.

Simply warm up your body and then you start doing intervals where you run for 30 seconds as hard as you can and then relax for 2 minutes going slow. Do ten intervals if you can and it will work.

For strength just focus on the 3 main exercises: Bench Press, Squats and Deadlifts. Then add exercises for the muscle you want to work on.

But for the legs i would do more like balance exercises and things that will help your leg to be stable, because working out with heavy weight wont help, because you dont need that type of muscle for riding a bmx over a long period of time.

For food just eat clean and try to eat the things you NEED not the things you WANT.

|

Instagram: @bjoernkrg

2/9/2015 10:08 AM

You weigh more than my couch lmao

|

13 years old

2/9/2015 10:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2015 10:32 AM

When I was playing hockey me and my team would do dry land training once every week for 2hrs and we did a lot of box jumps and those things made my legs feel on fire! And made them a lot stronger! so there's a good leg workout

|

2/9/2015 11:13 AM

Krooked wrote:

Sounds like a really shitty couch...

Thanks everyone else who actually wants to help me change!
@blah. I do want to get fit for bmx, and I'll be riding my bike and my indoor bike as much as possible, but dropping the weight comes first, then building up the muscles (minus the legs Ofc)

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/9/2015 11:38 AM

Low weight, high rep.

Change your workout a lot. Never do the same thing too much or your muscles will get used to it and you won't get as great of results.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

2/9/2015 12:28 PM

This off topic but I'm 133 lbs and 5'6"

good or bad?

|

2/9/2015 12:41 PM

Krooked wrote:

dkTechEthan wrote:

Sounds like a really shitty couch...

Thanks everyone else who actually wants to help me change!
@blah. I do want to get fit for bmx, and I'll be riding my bike and my indoor bike as much as possible, but dropping the weight comes first, then building up the muscles (minus the legs Ofc)

In Krooked's defense, I move couches for my job, and unless they are sleepers or power recline, they're like 200 pounds tops.

Good luck on losing weight dude. I'm around the same weight as you, but at 6'6" I'm only trying to drop like 15 or 20 pounds. In addition to riding and lifting, watching what you eat can help a ton. I lost 10 pounds last summer just by not drinking soda and building trails all day. I unfortunately stopped eating so well and gained all that weight back pretty quick, so it's important to keep healthy habits once the weight is off.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

2/9/2015 1:42 PM

If you want to get fit enough for BMX, just fucking ride your bike, workouts are meant to get you fit for the things you'll be doing, why waste your time you could be riding getting ready to ride, when you could just ride.

You should NEVER be "practicing" for BMX, BMX isn't a team sport, just ride and have fun.

|

2/9/2015 1:45 PM

I'm so lazy right now in winter , I should work out but fuck it , ride my ass off in the spring and get a bottle of muscle relaxants , 3 or 4 weeks and I'll be back in riding shape after riding 5 or 6'hours a day

|

2/9/2015 2:27 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

In Krooked's defense, I move couches for my job, and unless they are sleepers or power recline, they're like 200 pounds tops.

Good luck on losing weight dude. I'm around the same weight as you, but at 6'6" I'm only trying to drop like 15 or 20 pounds. In addition to riding and lifting, watching what you eat can help a ton. I lost 10 pounds last summer just by not drinking soda and building trails all day. I unfortunately stopped eating so well and gained all that weight back pretty quick, so it's important to keep healthy habits once the weight is off.

This. Last year with hitting the gym and doing 15-30 mins of cardio and around 15-30 of everything else about 4 times a week I managed to lose 25 lbs in around 3 months. I was also eating fruit smoothies for breakfast. Not that store bought crap either. We bought raw fruits and veggies, divided them into single servings, and froze them. I would blend up about an apple, a bunch of spinach, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, kiwi and raspberries (among other stuff usually) and that was my breakfast. Felt super good too, finally getting healthy stuff in my system.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/9/2015 2:28 PM

If you're any younger than 16, don't lift. Compresses your spinal disks. Do things like mountain climbers and pushups, running. Lots of cardio. And if you want to put on muscle after losing weight, eat more lean proteins ie: eggs, lean meat, turkey. Eating more carbs before riding is a good idea too. Water and bread is a good before riding meal.

|

2/9/2015 2:32 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

If you're any younger than 16, don't lift. Compresses your spinal disks. Do things like mountain climbers and pushups, running. Lots of cardio. And if you want to put on muscle after losing weight, eat more lean proteins ie: eggs, lean meat, turkey. Eating more carbs before riding is a good idea too. Water and bread is a good before riding meal.

This is aimed towards people my age. If you're older than 16 or 17, idk what to do. My dad is a triathlete so he helps train me.

|

2/9/2015 2:40 PM

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

squats don't even need weights

ive been doing 100 every other day with some push ups and some rotator cuff muscle exercises with light weight dumbbells

i also know a great core exercise call the ladder where you get in a push up position and walk on your hands side ways about 10 feet back and froth for a minute or two, when i was in therapy for my shoulder this is one of the things they had me do to me it felt like i got the best results from this ecexercise compared to all the other stuff they had me doing, they actually had some ladder looking thing they layed on the floor but i don't think its necessary

Just so you know doing 100 squats with no weight has no benefit to you whatsoever

|

Insta: @thenoahrolf
Refs: Hatebreeder, vinum
Bike Check

Wrong! Russia doesn't even have gays! America is 80% homosexual! - mantaymark

the word n****r actually means ignorant in its original definition it wasn't until the internet became popular and it was changed to mean black people - OneGuyIlluminatiEye

2/9/2015 2:43 PM

If all you want to do is lose weight, just run or swim for increasingly longer every day.
If you want to build lean muscle, lift on the side
If you want to powerlift, skip the running and lift a lot of weight

|

Insta: @thenoahrolf
Refs: Hatebreeder, vinum
Bike Check

Wrong! Russia doesn't even have gays! America is 80% homosexual! - mantaymark

the word n****r actually means ignorant in its original definition it wasn't until the internet became popular and it was changed to mean black people - OneGuyIlluminatiEye

2/9/2015 9:24 PM

If you go to high school, try taking weights. I have gained a lot of muscle since taking the class. Probably one of the best LEG/THIGH workouts are stair sprints! It's better if the stairs are like a foot high from each other. If you push yourself extremely hard, you WILL see results! Also set a realistic goal, and write down your excercises and workouts on a notepad etc. No junk food and soft drinks! Best of luck to you mate!

|

2/9/2015 11:36 PM

I started lifting weights probably 3 days ago and no shit I've already noticed a decent difference. My dad gave me his old weight set which is 2 sets of 1.5kg, 2 sets of 3kg, 2 sets of 5kg and 2 sets of 7.5kg. I've started with 1 1.5k on both sides and a 3kg on both sides. My left arm is almost as big as my right arm now so this is quite good im enjoying it.

|

bicycle more like bikecycle