steep headtube angles

Related:
Create New Tag

12/23/2009 1:19 AM

i think i might by a fly luna (dunno 100% yet) but i want to get the 20.4" tt. but if i get that, the headtube is 75.5 degrees. does that make a huge difference. will it affect manuals and stuff like that

|

PSN - TheNunPoacher

12/23/2009 1:21 AM

why would it affect manuals? itd affect nose manuals but not manuals. and itd make them easier

|

Bikes. Cameras. Cars. Beer. NYx845

12/23/2009 1:26 AM

Ressler711 wrote:

why would it affect manuals? itd affect nose manuals but not manuals. and itd make them easier

wicked

|

PSN - TheNunPoacher

12/23/2009 1:38 AM

Strictly based on geometry, the headtube angle will affect "regular" manuals. The "closer" your front wheel is to the rear wheel will make it that much easier to "pop up" the front end. It's an angualr momentum/leverage thing. Though I submit the difference is negligible and WILL be offset by how much your rear end is slammed or extended. For my $.02, where your rear wheel sits in the dropout (slammed, extended) will mean more.

Take it to its logical extreme: Imagine you have a super-long rake on your front end, like a low-rider bike. The front wheel being out that far will make it, again, that much harder to pull up the front end. Once more, it's an angular momentum/leverage thing.

Both of these things will also affect how quickly - and easily - you can spin your rear end. A low-rider-like geometry will be much harder to spin than will be a bike with a "tighter" geometry, the kind of geometry you would find on, say, a flatland frame.

|