steeper headtube angle with forks

Related:
Create New Tag

10/6/2015 10:46 PM

so traditional forks are like 33mm offset
now say if you have a 75 degree headtube and add 33mm offset what is it then?

or say a 13mm fork on 75 degree headtube will it make it around 75.5 or higher?

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

10/6/2015 11:09 PM

It doesn't necessarily make the head tube steeper. It makes your front wheel more under the bike. Like if you take 2 frames and one has a 74 head tube and the other has a 76 you can actually see the difference if you build them up with the same exact parts. In the 76 degree you'd clearly be able to see the front wheel is closer to the down tube.

Now when it comes to forks, it's a different thing. I think 75 head tube with around 25mm forks is perfect. It needs no change. Just easy enough to pop the stuff onto the front wheel and barspins are nice and all that. You bring the wheel however many millimeters closer to the "under" of your bike. Closer to the down tube basically.

It's a fairly difficult thing to grasp for some people but this is how I explain it. I actually like the steeper forks mainly due to the fact that they barspin better in my opinion. I think if you have 75.5 and 25 it's pretty wild. Now that they're making frames with 76 head tube angles it'd be bonkers and twitchy as a chinchilla on crack.

The overall handling of the bike will be more as well. It'll be significantly easier and noticeable to turn. Before you're used to it its almost like when you put a video game controller's full sensitivity up. It's horrifying and difficult due to neuroplasticity or whatever. But you do get used to it pretty quickly. You mainly notice it becomes easier to carve.

The main reason the head tube matters more than the forks though is in the air it's different. The forks have very little to do in the air but the head tube is the angle that makes it easier to push the bars forward when you dip a three or dive into a transfer. Forks matter once you're landing. So like a 74 with 10mm of offset would be really weird and sluggish while flying but once you land its squirrel city.

There is a lot of complicated math that probably goes into it but you mainly can feel what is better.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

10/7/2015 3:28 AM

75.5 upwards and 25mm fork =responsive tech ,twitchy as hell
75 below and 32mm fork super stable and harder to pop into nose manuals etc

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

10/7/2015 11:13 AM

I'm liking 75 with 13 mm offset forks, nose dives real nice

|

10/7/2015 11:32 AM

MaximusBikes wrote:

It doesn't necessarily make the head tube steeper. It makes your front wheel more under the bike. Like if you take 2 frames ...more

no i totally understand all of that and i want a twitchy bike, but atm im stuck with something with a 75 degree headtube. and wondering if a set of primo hd pro forks (13mm) would make it handle like a 76 degree headtube, idc about twitchy i rode a 3 wheeler on the limits for years haha im just not the best at putting things into words.

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton