stem and fork slipping

Related:
Create New Tag

11/22/2013 8:46 PM

i thought i would ask if anyone has had there fork slip sideways with there stem. I have always tightened my stem as tight as i could possibly get it, but a little while ago my fork slipped about 20-30 degrees to the right when i was comming out of a manual. has this happened to anyone?

|

11/22/2013 8:53 PM

Do you have enough spacers on your steerer tube? check that, if you don't then the tip of the steerer tube could be popping out and not getting tight enough.

Also are you greasing the steerer tube by any chance? some people do that, it's not really necessary and could cause slipping.

|

11/22/2013 8:54 PM

No siree. Tighten that thing to the MAX. I mean don't go with a ratchet and tighten it to the end of the day and have something snap, but tighten it till it's snug and do it some more after that. If you can still torque with a regular hand allen key, it's not tight enough. And take out all grease from where the stem makes contact with the bars and with the fork steerer tube.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

11/22/2013 9:03 PM

i have a stock bike (specialized p20 pro 2013) but there is i a spacer and there is some grease is there. i just use standard Allen keys and tighten them till my fingers hurts and it wont move any further, this happened a month or so back and hasent happened since. thanks for the help.

|

11/22/2013 10:12 PM

bmxthomasbmx wrote:

i have a stock bike (specialized p20 pro 2013) but there is i a spacer and there is some grease is there. i just use standard Allen keys and tighten them till my fingers hurts and it wont move any further, this happened a month or so back and hasent happened since. thanks for the help.

Wipe off the grease from the steerer tube and from the Stem.

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.

11/23/2013 6:14 AM

Wipe the grease off your steerer tube/stem, tighten them down with an allen key + something for extra leverage (piece of piping, a wrench, etc.) Also make sure your steeree tube isn't deformed.

Worst comes to worst, I did this to my friends stem with success, take a file and use the edge of it to put a few small "cuts" or indents inside the stem.. this will cause more friction but I can't guarantee it will fix it.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx