stems..

Related:
Create New Tag

6/20/2021 2:51 PM

i'm back to the market for stem..

I noticed casted stems are way cheaper and lighter, also has a cool shape compared to cnc'ed
how weak are they and are there any pros who ride's them?
where do they tend to break usually?

how is the cold forging manufacturing process compared to the two?

|

6/20/2021 5:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/21/2021 1:46 AM

Forged is strongest, cast is weakest, machined looks the best.

Edit: when I said machined, I meant machined from billet.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

6/20/2021 8:21 PM

Quoting user Sean_Goff from this thread:
"Forged stems are done by pounding a block of metal into the shape you want using pressure to create a uniform grain structure in the metal that is less prone to fatigue and then machining away the excess material till it's in its final shape. Both products are machined, forged stems just have an extra step that actually makes the metal stronger so in general are stronger than a stem of similar metal that has only been CNC Machined."
|

I get big airs off small things

6/20/2021 8:39 PM

crispyoldcraig wrote: Quoting user Sean_Goff from this thread:
"Forged stems are done by pounding a block of metal into the shape you want using ...more

I was actually going to say, forged, cast, and CnC billet, are all machined to arrive at the final product. The crystalline grain structure is what is different between them.

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

6/20/2021 10:24 PM

since my front is heavy and casted type stems are really light compared to the two, i really don't care about how they make em, i just wanna know how bad is to ride with casted stems since they are only a stem and i never seen one failing but if they do, it sounds scary so i'm asking also where it usally happens just to be prepared haha..

|

6/20/2021 11:14 PM

Stems generally only break from either poor design (very rare these days), or user error. Don't overtighten the bolts and you'll be fine

|

6/21/2021 6:43 PM

something ive noticed for the weight watchers:
when a company has a topload and frontload stem available, the frontload is usually about half an oz lighter
...and since there is no strength measurement, i go with the lighter of the two.

also it makes no sense to run frontload as a drop stem just to get taller bars to rise it up.
just flip your front load stem 'upside-down' to use as a riser stem

|

wallride a bus everyday

6/21/2021 7:07 PM

buttmeate wrote:

something ive noticed for the weight watchers:
when a company has a topload and frontload stem available, the frontload is ...more

I think the idea against front loads is that the bolts take impact perpendicular to their length so they have a higher chance of snapping/shearing. Top loads are less at risk of that particular breakpoint. That's the argument as I know it at least, devil's advocate.

|

6/22/2021 12:01 PM

Personal fav's are CNC'd from 6061 Aluminum billets. Riding a Demolition top load rn. Riding for 15+ years, never seen anyone snap a stem 🤣 Stripping out bolts yes but simply snapping, no. Beyond unlikely.
On a side note , the Odyssey elementary stem's calmp is so powerful I had a friend that ovalized his handlebar clamping area by over tightening it.

|

6/22/2021 2:56 PM

Whatever Profile does with the Push stem is perfect.
I sprocket cased testing a pretty big jump at the trails hard enough for my forks to bend forward, and handlebars tweaked crooked, the stem bolts didn't give in any directions. The bars literally bent from me hanging on, but no slipping forward, or slipping at the steer tube. I'll be buying those stems for every bike as long as they keep making them. They are a lil pricey but can take a serious beating.

|

6/23/2021 6:44 AM

surrealsickness wrote:

Personal fav's are CNC'd from 6061 Aluminum billets. Riding a Demolition top load rn. Riding for 15+ years, never seen anyone ...more

Never seen a snapped stem? I've seen a few. Back around 07 when stuff was getting light, loads of stems had a lot of weight reduction machining, and a snapped stem was pretty common. More recently, I've seen a couple of the s&m race XLT stems snapped. Granted, they weren't being used to race, and shouldn't be expected to hold up to roof drops.
Even cracks, or warped top/face plate due to overtightening still happens.

|

6/23/2021 8:31 AM

"Forged stems are done by pounding a block of metal into the shape you want using ...more

Forgot to add in that note ^^^ that cast stems are made by pouring molten metal into a mold(cast). Its the most brittle and prone to breaking of the available options.

|

6/23/2021 11:06 AM

Sean_Goff wrote:

Forgot to add in that note ^^^ that cast stems are made by pouring molten metal into a mold(cast). Its the most brittle and ...more

Yeah I really hope OP doesn't go with a casted stem like they're talking about doing. Not worth the weight savings.

|