share your stories of P A I N

Related:
Create New Tag

6/27/2020 4:35 PM

lol, so I decided to fix up my bike since I plan on selling it to have money for a new one, but after I fixed it, I decided to hop on and get back in the saddle. I havent rode in a LONG time cause I've been a bit too big for this bike for almost a year now. (iss a lil boi I got when I was arounf 12, not the right geometry for someone whos 5'7). anyway, I fucking DESTROYED my hands, my calluses have suffered immesely sicne I've stopped riding, and I have 2 blisters, 2 more that are ready to blister, and I tore the skin right under my thumb knuckle. so now theres a big ass hole, and to make things even better, i havent worked out in months due to not being allowed to leave the house (quaranine + i got in a bit of trouble) so i have the absolute WORST acid buildup everywhere in my body. so now I'm back on vital waiting a day or two for my body to rebuild muscle before I get back out there. Tell me your worst stories about soreness and destroying your skin! I'd love to hear them seeing as I can't ride atm lmao.

|

Speed, I am speed... -Lightning McQueen
Fuck money get bitches... I think?

6/27/2020 10:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/28/2020 10:28 AM

Life is pain...my lifes story is too long so I will leave you with a short list of my significant injuries.

Broken ribs x4 times
Broken left clavicle
Broken left wrist
Broken left shoulder
Dislocated left shoulder
Broken fingers/toes/knuckles (many)
Complete meniscus tear
Torn labrum
Torn ligament in right shoulder
Torn ligament in left shoulder
Crushed shoulder ball joint
Ruptured right foot ligaments
Fractured right foot
Ruptured eardrum
Left knee laceration
Right hand laceration
Rusty nail through foot
Multiple dog bites from being a letter carrier, Pitbull bit my foot and crushed something years ago (still hurts in the area)...

Thats off the top of my head not including other things I didnt go get checked out and confirmed...lol

|

6/27/2020 10:15 PM

Once, I hit my little toe on a wall corner

|

6/27/2020 11:13 PM

Francky wrote:

Once, I hit my little toe on a wall corner

One of the worst things to have happen...

|

6/28/2020 1:15 AM

I’ve been super lucky all these years, even though I don’t push my riding too much, I’m injury-free. Knock on wood. XD

For me, it’s probably trying pull-up bars with a brake lever. My right side thumb on the inside was so raw for a couple days I could barely touch it without it stinging.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

6/28/2020 4:12 AM

I guess...
- Handful of concussions
- broken left clavicle x3
- broken left tib/fib
- dislocated ankle
- broken cervical rib
- fractured sinuses
But the most traumatising-
When I was 12, I was riding a little dirt jump near my parents house. It’d rained overnight, so the jump was a little soft. I ended up endoing off the lip and going over the bars. At some point, my brake lever went through my jeans and boxers and pierced my scrotum. Needed half a dozen stitches to get it all back together

|

6/28/2020 7:27 AM

Was hitting some local dirt jumps like 2010ish when I was 15 or 16, didn’t walk them first, landed one of the doubles back pretty far and rode down the landing straight into a sand patch where apparently kids had been running into the woods from the soccer field through the trees. Front end washed out hella quick, hands stayed with the bars, chest and chin planted the face of the next double and knocked myself out for like thirty seconds (helmet on), came to and couldn’t breathe for a while that sucked. All that ended up happening is shoulder road rash because no shirt, split my chin open and had a huge headache the rest of the day which I assume in hindsight might have been a concussion. And that’s really the worst injury I’ve had everything else is just gnarly shinners, road rash, swollen elbows and knees and sprains and pulled muscles

|

6/28/2020 8:34 AM

Other than a couple of broken fingers and sprains I did OK during the mid school. I rode 96-2001 with no serious injuries. Just the regular missing skin etc.

I got engaged in 2000, and my first ex wife wasn't happy about me riding. So I agreed I would just get a race bike and ride for fitness. So I grabbed a NOS 1985 PK Ripper and had it flown out to NJ.

When it arrived one of the lock nuts was missing for the rear wheel. Weather was so good though I just wanted to ride so I sent it. Took off up the driveway wearing nothing but shorts and sneaks. Man that bike flew. Turned into the street and really gave it some. Got up to full speed and went until I was out of breath. Just as I was about to ease off the pedals the back wheel twisted, locked, the chain snapped and I went flying head first over the bars. It all seemed like slo mo, and the first thing I thought was "Gotta cover my face". So I wrapped my arms over my head.

I landed, all 196 lbs on my right elbow. On a road in rural NJ designed for tractors in the winter. So it was like sharp stone thrown into asphalt.

My elbow literally exploded. There was no skin left on it at all. I cracked a bone and literally scraped grooves into it. I just remember lying in the street after kicking the bike out from under me and groaning a lot. I was totally winded too, as I had literally given it everything I had before the crash.

My wife's neighbour came out and scraped me up off the road. Put me in her car with help from her husband and drove me back to the house. I wrapped a wash cloth over it and we went to the hospital. I had to have immediate surgery. They cut away all of the ragged skin, stuck their fingers down inside my arm with iodine and cleaned it up as best they could. Then they put my arm straight, stretched the skin from the underside over and stitched it shut with a rubber tube stitched in that went about 5" down into the inside of my arm. It was for any residue or infection to come out of.

I had to leave that thing in for weeks. So every time I showered I had to wrap my arm in Saran wrap. My ankle was scalped too, and overall it took me about three months to recover. I also had to have a second surgery to get the tube removed and have it sewn up.

It was all so ironic. Like, really really ironic. I had spent nearly four years doing idiotic things on bikes and thinking my beanie would save my head if I wrecked. Then I was doing nothing but literally riding a bike and suffered the worst crash of my life. I ain't gonna lie, it scared me. It scared the absolute shit out of me and all of the confidence I had built over so many years was gone overnight. I sold the PK and bought a Supergoose SGX thing, but I got on it hit one jump and shit my pants.

I stopped riding then for many years. It also taught me a lesson in life, that as you get older it hurts more, hurts for longer, takes much longer to heal and you kinda realise your mortality.

I do still ride, but nothing like before.

Good thing I was insured tbh. The medical bills were about $9000. I would have been screwed from the get go (I had just moved out there for good).

|

6/28/2020 9:59 AM

ACBMX wrote:

Other than a couple of broken fingers and sprains I did OK during the mid school. I rode 96-2001 with no serious injuries. ...more

that sounds pretty shitty. that feeling of freedom and speed rushing through your veins and hair as you full send on a new bike. Some of these other injuries seemed really FUCKED up but I can actually sympathize with you on this one, a simple mistake sucking that feeling of joy and what you love right out the window. I know mine definetly isnt as bad as most of these, but back in may 2019 Iz was going for one of my daily cruises. Left at around 5:00 since i stayed up late playing video games and woke up late. I wanted to stay out till 10:00 since most parts of vegas have a lot of personality at night. My first mistake was wearing sweatpants. My second mistake was wearing one of those 32 degree cool undershirt/shirt things. I bolted across the street and my phone fell out of my pocket in the middle of the most awkward uphill intersection ever, and I was already crossing where there wasnt even a sign. So I picked it up, hopped back on and proceeded to bomb the hill as usual(The buildup is fucking massive and going over it every day gave me huge thighs)

Anyway I went full send until my legs physically couldnt keep up with the bike anymore, sat, and took my hands off. Honestly one of my favorite parts of the ride and one of those things like you said, going full speed until ou can't anymore. I fucked up when I stopped looking and I hit a rock, and going like 30 mph I fell of the bike BACKWARDS (most pathetic moment of my life, and didnt have time to properly brace since I was awkward from hitting the rock. so I landed full force on my left wrist, bounced off the ground and slid on my entire right side until I stopped.

At first I couldn't tell what the fuck had really happened other than I fucked up. My entire right side was gone and my right sleeve no longer existed, but who cares about skin and blood? I limp-rode over to the park and layed down, and realized that the pain in my wrist was not only getting worse, but sharper. the real giveaway was the feeling of shock that you dont get unless you break something. I had to ge back on the bike regardless but there was no way I was riding back up that massive hill or trying to walk up it, so i rode to my girlfriends house, which was farther but easier. stumbled in and waited to get picked up. went to some ghetto ass hospital and the lady who was just trying to get off her shift told me it was my elbow and that my wrist hurt from a pinched nerve... That was a fucking lie...

For a week (and a school fieldtrip to a beach in cali) I had this stupid splint that was supposed to be for my elbow that kind helped my wrist stay still. turns out it was broken BAD when we got it xrayed legit. almost had to get plates and rods in my wrist. My entire summer was ruined and I couldn't even go outside because sweat uder cast=infection. Fell into a bit of a depression from lack of talking to people and going outside. ruined my plans for the rest of the year becuase even after the cast I still couldn't put much stress on it.

So that's the story of how my bmx dreams were shattered and i swear the eventes that played out after are still affecting me today. I struggled so hard to remake my fucking friends that year and keep my grades up without any motivation to do what I loved. got caught up in some shit that still wont stop following me, but I've honestly learned so much from my experience this year, and im better than ever, but winning back the trust of a mother and father is hard. Pretty wild how something so trivial and stupid ruined everything lol.
Also the back of my phone shattered when I landed on it but thats not important cause cases and who gives a fuck.

I think the one of the other bad parts was, i was still around 5'3 at the time and hit a huge growth spurt recently and im 5'8 now. really thought I could put some real use to my favortie childhood bike before it wasnt suitable anymore, but here I am about to sell it to buy a new bike. sad

honestly I haven't told anyone what really happened cause I don't want to seem like a little bitch for eating shit bombing a hill, but clearly I'm not the only one whos had to take it on the chin for some dumb shit lmao.

on a side note I tore a tendon in my tumb because my dog yanked while I was tying my shoe becuase a fedex driver decided not to listen and walked up my driveway while I didnt have the dog secured, but that just gets better the more I ride.

|

6/28/2020 10:01 AM

jboozer4 wrote:

Was hitting some local dirt jumps like 2010ish when I was 15 or 16, didn’t walk them first, landed one of the doubles back ...more

concussions suck ASS. what's it like to be knocked out and come too I've never had that happen before. It sounds less terrifying than it does confusing but idk lol.

|

6/28/2020 10:05 AM

BrodieB wrote:

I guess...
- Handful of concussions
- broken left clavicle x3
- broken left tib/fib
- dislocated ankle
- broken cervical rib
- ...more

I think getting pierced in the scrotum by a break lever is pretty strange. I had a friend split his balls open once. He was a kid and was balancing on the back of one of those trailers you can pull with a pickup truck. As he as walking across he slipped and the metal split his shit. One ball to the left, one to the right. some pretty gnarly shit getting pierced or sliced, I think I would've thrown up if that happened. Guess that'll put some hair on yer chest

|

6/28/2020 10:06 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Life is pain...my lifes story is too long so I will leave you with a short list of my significant injuries.

Broken ribs x4 ...more

okay but how the hell does that happen. You wild bro.

|

6/28/2020 10:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/28/2020 10:29 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Broken ribs x4 ...more

Fried_Eggs wrote:

okay but how the hell does that happen. You wild bro.

Lol

I dirtbiked/rockclimbed as a teen
Played airsoft/worked construction as a young adult
Ride bmx/work for usps as me now. wink

|

6/28/2020 11:46 AM

my list isn't as bad as bulletpups but it's close..

i'll never ride a bike again because of injuries.. specifically a broken back. 2 surgeries so far and i'm meeting a surgeon this week to talk about having a third one.

|

6/28/2020 12:40 PM

Go to 1:36

|

6/28/2020 1:55 PM

pnj wrote:

i'll never ride a bike again because of injuries.. specifically a broken ...more

Oh man, that’s so heavy, I’m sorry to hear that. Hopefully whatever happens is successful as it can be

|

6/28/2020 1:57 PM

Fried_Eggs wrote:

concussions suck ASS. what's it like to be knocked out and come too I've never had that happen before. It sounds less ...more

It is definitely confusing, super disorienting as well. I’ve had concussions where I don’t remember entire weeks though, so I’d take the confusion of coming to over that any day

|

6/28/2020 9:48 PM

pnj wrote:

i'll never ride a bike again because of injuries.. specifically a broken ...more

Shit brother that’s tough.. you’ll find new passions though for sure. Hang in there and best of luck to you and who knows but you could be riding again someday. Sending good vibes your way

Only BMX injury I’ve had besides stubbed toes and bumps and bruises is breaking my arm but it was Only a hairline fracture.. was driving home from the park cause I knew the session was done and almost passed out lol knew something was wrong then

|

6/29/2020 1:16 AM

Shit all these injuries are making my balls ache. Fuck that.

I haven't really had any major injuries biking other than major road rash 3 weeks ago when trying to manual down a hill in the woods. Gravel track cut through my jeans and shredded my knee and my right hand all cut up.

Skateboarding is what fucked me. I've snapped my wrist, fractured my forearm, broken fingers, cracked a rib, many concussions, twisted my back and many cuts & bruises. Though the worst is tearing my ligaments in my right ankle 9 years or so ago. Its never been the same and I cant walk on uneven ground without the risk of it buckling under my weight. I'm waiting on the x-ray appointment and MRI scan to determine if I need Brostrom surgery. That would suck as it would mean 6 months or more off a bike and not driving. Though I'd rather not ride or drive for 6 months if it meant another 60 years without problems.

Humans are fragile.

|

Bit of a slut for Fit & Primo.

6/29/2020 1:55 PM

Brimson wrote:

I haven't really had any major injuries biking other than major ...more

humans aren't that fragile, but we push ourselves to limits no other species ever has. It's amazing that tou've endred all of that and still find a way to hop on a bike and ride. Good vibes for you my man, hope you can recover well.

|

6/29/2020 2:49 PM

I've had 3 ACL surgeries that all started after getting blasted by a van, my bike stuck to the front of the van because my bar end went through the grill.. (9 months total on crutches)

I was riding a wheely on a 1970s Schwinn 10 speed and I snapped a chain, the pedals (the kind that pretty much had serrated knives for grip) flung around in a lightning fast crank flip and caught the back of my ankle, literally cut my Achilles's tendon straight in half.. (another 3 months on crutches)

Never broken a bone except my pinky toe, yep, caught on the corner or the woodwork, I was hulling ass running away from my older brother who was about to give me something I probably asked for lol...

|

6/29/2020 2:49 PM

Brimson wrote:

Fried_Eggs wrote:

humans aren't that fragile, but we push ourselves to limits no other species ever has. It's amazing that tou've endred all of ...more

Yeah man it’s pretty shitty but what can we do? We play with the concrete!

|

6/30/2020 12:07 PM

Brimson wrote:

TBH fella I was lucky to even walk again, let alone ride !

In 1982 it was the middle of summer and bloody hot. I was 8 years old. My brother was 10, and my cousin was 13. A whole mob of us headed off to a local paddling pool. To the Americans.. hmm, it's kinda like a swimming pool but about 2ft deep. Big, like. We used to have one in lots of our local parks.

Any way, I was never too good at crossing the road. We got to the last road crossing and kids being kids they all crossed without me. So at some stage I must have just thought "bollocks" and went for it. I got hit by a car. Not just a bit either. Now there are parts of it I remember, and parts I don't. I just remember getting up and running, before collapsing. The next part I remember is lying on the road with a blanket over me and a cushion under my head. I don't remember the ambulance. Then I remember feeling like, stupid tired. And wanting to go to sleep, but them not letting me.

The long and short? shattered left femur. Broken right leg. 22 stitches to right leg. Broken right arm. Fractured skull, third degree burns on my back from road rash (all I had on was shorts).

This was 1982. So no pins. I laid in a hospital bed for three months in "traction". Basically they strap your leg to a pulley, hang weights on it and pull the femur bones away from each other, then slowly reduce the weight so that your bone goes back to where it belongs.

After that I had to do physio therapy for another three months. They pretty much told my mother I would never walk again properly and would likely have a limp for the rest of my life.

That is why I don't really like old school BMX. Mostly because I couldn't race or do what every one else was doing, and I was never truly fit again until I was about 18 by which time I was out partying and taking lots of pills lol.

Once I got those years done I returned to BMX and had the best days of my life TBH.

|

6/30/2020 7:10 PM

A lot of mine are on video

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

7/1/2020 1:16 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

A lot of mine are on video

Fuuuck you're an animal.

|

7/1/2020 10:21 AM

haha I had a crash like that once. I rode down a 200ft high fire escape. There was a big divot in the dirt before the steps and I knew I would have to pull up hard. Like an idiot though I didn't take the severe vibration of riding down a massive set of steps so my front wheel went right into the divot at the bottom.

I sprained both wrists and got a lovely green grass stain on my face lmao. Hilariously the headset snapped. Like, the bearing cup just disintegrated but my Standard fork and head tube (Shorty) held in beautifully :D

It wasn't even as close to as insane as that, but man looking back I really smile.

|

7/1/2020 5:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/1/2020 5:53 PM

I've been lucky so far bike riding, mostly bunch of sprains and bruises and things that heal in a month. Broke my arm and ankle when I was a kid.

Worst story as an adult, actually rock climbing in a gym. I was lead climbing and my fucking belayer let go of the rope when I fell. I was 6-8m up (like 20 feet?) complete freefall through the air from the roof and landed on my back. The sound when I hit the ground was incredible apparently, a huge resonating BOOM and the whole place went dead quiet. Got carried out in a back brace and rushed to hospital it was scary for a while. Absolutely amazingly I was pretty much ok and didn't break anything, aside from being just generally beat to hell with whiplash and a sore back.

|

7/1/2020 7:06 PM

saw the surgeon today. back surgery number three is schedule for a few weeks out..

this is THEE worst pain i have ever had and at its most worst, the pinched nerve cuts off all feeling to my left leg making it paralyzed. meaning, I can't actually walk at all.

|

7/1/2020 9:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/1/2020 9:38 PM

I've had lots of injuries towards my joint ligaments, but never anything broken. Never had insanely huge crashes where I was out cold or something like that. Living in my prime years right now, I'm not afraid at all to get hurt, but I worry for my parents sake as I dont want them paying huge bills and worrying over me for accidental injuries. It kinda sucks, I always push myself, but sometimes I gotta slow it down so I wouldn't get badly hurt. I wish i can just huck everything lol.

|

Иди сюда и поцелуй меня

7/2/2020 4:44 AM

I only huck myself when I am pissed off, and it helped me learn some things. One was flyout 540s. I got em figured out cause I was angry and didn't care about getting hurt, so I BLASTED out of this weird berm thing and cranked a ton of em.

Curt you are insane. I would give up after so many of those. And I know now, I would have one crash and be done.

Just a week or so ago I went to my local, tried to fufanu a little ledge thing out of a bank, and managed to slip off, fall and rail my head enough to make my eyes cross a bit. Ended my session.

Good to see a helmet though-you would have had some pretty bad days without one.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura