streetland

Related:
Create New Tag

1/3/2014 8:04 PM

So can I have a good definition of steetland? And what would be a good frame and forks if I were to invest in such a concept. And I would like to popos a stickied thread called "ask topsey" because he seems to know everything bmx.

|

1/3/2014 8:18 PM

It's freestyle. plain and simple.

and because it's freestyle, you're going to get more than one definition.

Street + Flatland = Freestyle.

from my perspective, the term streetland is not warranted/needed because almost every trick (that doesn't include grinding) is a flatland trick. a manual is a flatland trick. a bunny hop is a flatland trick. they are both freestyle tricks.

a simple, general definition might be 'technical' street riding. So, bunny hoping down a set of stairs wouldn't fall under the streetland heading but nose wheelie would.

|

1/3/2014 8:21 PM

pnj wrote:

It's freestyle. plain and simple.

and because it's freestyle, you're going to get more than one definition.

Street + Flatland = Freestyle.

from my perspective, the term streetland is not warranted/needed because almost every trick (that doesn't include grinding) is a flatland trick. a manual is a flatland trick. a bunny hop is a flatland trick. they are both freestyle tricks.

a simple, general definition might be 'technical' street riding. So, bunny hoping down a set of stairs wouldn't fall under the streetland heading but nose wheelie would.

Makes sense. Thanks.

|

1/3/2014 8:25 PM

your very smart indeed big buggy

|

1/3/2014 8:33 PM

Half lashes

|

1/3/2014 8:36 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Half lashes

feeble to half lash to forward rope-a-roni to backwards peg wheelie to decade off the same ledge that was feebled.

|

1/3/2014 9:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/3/2014 9:30 PM

I think generally the main focus of "streetland" is more flatland specific tricks but performed on or mixed with street obsticals as apposed to just on flatground.

Its in its early stages tho so I'm sure it will develop over time into something more defined, but at its core its just blending street riding with flatland.

Check the utopia stuff over @ wethepeople.com

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

1/3/2014 9:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/3/2014 10:09 PM

The thing with the term "Freestyle" It brings up memories of older riders in the late 80's doing shows around the states doing every genre of BMX imaginable on one Bike & then You hear "Streetland" It's NEW, It's a Fresh perspective on riding! When actually You ARE Right it IS Freestyle! I have been riding Streetland for about 3 years now & obviously with the degeneration of My shoulder I have slowly tapered off! But You will look at the majority of Riders riding "Streetland" or "Flat/Street" They will concentrate on ONE aspect of the New Genre! There will be Street Riders who learn the bare minimum of Flatland Tricks, You will see Hang 5's/10's/Nothings, Nose Wheelies, Half/Whip Lashes etc & then they will go all out Street, Grinds, Big Drops etc! & then the Flat/Street Guys like Matthias Dandois for example, He could NEVER be classified as a Street Rider with how He rides now. Yeah Big Deal He's on a Longer Frame than "Normal" for Flatland, BUT He might do a Hang 5 into a Bank & maybe a Hop Bars! There is NO-ONE that I know of who could literally merge a Flatland Link into a Street setting! Dork-Whopper landing in a Hang 5, into an Elbow Glide & then off a drop, jumping back onto the Bike & landing in a Smith/Feeble etc! It's just not being done! Right Now I'm concentrating on My Flatland because I'm a little rusty! I want to be the Rider that merges SERIOUS Flatland Links into Street! As For a "Streetland" Bike It doesn't actually have to be too specific tbh...

For A Frame:
19.5" to 20.5" Top Tube Length, Lower Stand Over Height, 13"ish Chain Stays, (Slightly Shorter/Slightly Longer = No Biggy!)

The Set Up:
Minimal Offset Fork 13mm to 25mm
Shorter Reach Stem 35mm to 48mm
Bars with a little more Upsweep 3+ & DEFFO Less Backsweep 6 to 9
Longer Seat Post
Smaller Gear Ratio -22t/23t - 9t
Shorter Crank Arms - 160mm/165mm
Narrower Tyres - 1.95" to 2.10"
FREECOASTER HUB!
4 Pegs

Taaa Daaah!! You Have Yourself A Freestyle/Streetland/Flat/Street Bike!

|

1/3/2014 9:43 PM

Examples of My Streetland Bikes....

The Current Ride, Thanks To The Hook Up From We Make Things! More Updates To Come For This One! Some Have Already Happened Since This Photo Was Taken! I Will Post Some Updated Photos In My Bike Check Tomorrow!
[LINK TO IMAGE]
Wethepeople Utopia Frame, Fork & Bars.

Before The Utopia Arrived, My Custom FBM...
[LINK TO IMAGE]

My Autum Razzia That Will Be Re-Built To This Spec When The Wethepeople Is Finished!
[LINK TO IMAGE]

Finally, My 20" Fit Benny L...
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

1/3/2014 10:04 PM

Thanks topsey, I was looking to see if I could get away from my park and try something different, and it looks like I might just pick up some pegs,stem, a freecoaster, f25s, I could try. I know it's gonna be hard but I will try. Maybe it'll turn out like me and my saxophone, who knows. But I got a couple pairs of four piece bars with all the upsweep in the world so yay.

|

1/3/2014 11:03 PM

Get pegs and go for it. Streetflat looks fun. (YES I call it streetflat , not streetland , sue me)

i'd get into it , but I can't even manual great so being able to do backwards upside spinning manuals really makes no sense to me.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/3/2014 11:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/3/2014 11:11 PM

Freestyle to me is a progression of tricks done on a bmx bicycle. Progression being that it's constantly evolving. What was a 'pro' level trick 5, 10, 20 years ago becomes an intermediate trick as the progression continues.

People were doing this type of stuff in the late 1980's. Mark Eaton did half of the link I mentioned above in 1989 or so. That style of riding never caught on until recently.

Look at nose wheelies. People were doing them very well 20 years ago. (with brakes but they were doing them long and smooth) and it's only been in recent years that they've caught on for many riders.

hang 5/10/nothings, whiplashes and half lashes are all 80's freestyle tricks. So to me, 'streetland' isn't new. It's just freestyle.

I can dig people wanting to call it something new so it can be separated from 80's freestyle but I haven't seen anything new so far. It's the same tricks being done in new* ways/places.

*new to me = progression. (which is freestyle smile)

|

1/3/2014 11:20 PM

I just got some s&m fast pitch forks haven't rode them but should be fun adjusting to the 13 mm offset from the 33 mm offset on my guerra

|

1/3/2014 11:40 PM

Topsey wrote:

The thing with the term "Freestyle" It brings up memories of older riders in the late 80's doing shows around the states doing every genre of BMX imaginable on one Bike & then You hear "Streetland" It's NEW, It's a Fresh perspective on riding! When actually You ARE Right it IS Freestyle! I have been riding Streetland for about 3 years now & obviously with the degeneration of My shoulder I have slowly tapered off! But You will look at the majority of Riders riding "Streetland" or "Flat/Street" They will concentrate on ONE aspect of the New Genre! There will be Street Riders who learn the bare minimum of Flatland Tricks, You will see Hang 5's/10's/Nothings, Nose Wheelies, Half/Whip Lashes etc & then they will go all out Street, Grinds, Big Drops etc! & then the Flat/Street Guys like Matthias Dandois for example, He could NEVER be classified as a Street Rider with how He rides now. Yeah Big Deal He's on a Longer Frame than "Normal" for Flatland, BUT He might do a Hang 5 into a Bank & maybe a Hop Bars! There is NO-ONE that I know of who could literally merge a Flatland Link into a Street setting! Dork-Whopper landing in a Hang 5, into an Elbow Glide & then off a drop, jumping back onto the Bike & landing in a Smith/Feeble etc! It's just not being done! Right Now I'm concentrating on My Flatland because I'm a little rusty! I want to be the Rider that merges SERIOUS Flatland Links into Street! As For a "Streetland" Bike It doesn't actually have to be too specific tbh...

For A Frame:
19.5" to 20.5" Top Tube Length, Lower Stand Over Height, 13"ish Chain Stays, (Slightly Shorter/Slightly Longer = No Biggy!)

The Set Up:
Minimal Offset Fork 13mm to 25mm
Shorter Reach Stem 35mm to 48mm
Bars with a little more Upsweep 3+ & DEFFO Less Backsweep 6 to 9
Longer Seat Post
Smaller Gear Ratio -22t/23t - 9t
Shorter Crank Arms - 160mm/165mm
Narrower Tyres - 1.95" to 2.10"
FREECOASTER HUB!
4 Pegs

Taaa Daaah!! You Have Yourself A Freestyle/Streetland/Flat/Street Bike!

Interesting stuff, my riding is a bit weird because about 30% of my riding is super flowy bowl stuff but the rest is a mix of everything:

Of the rest of my riding, about 40% is also park and 30% Street but:
Be it Park or Street I try to be creative and technical as possible and for both it's mostly Bank, Flat Ledge, Low Rails and smaller Stairsets and stuff, so in that way It's kind off like Streetland, but a lot of it is at parks purely because there is plenty of parks around me with a lot of street features so why not ride them? However I do very little actual Flatland stuff.

My bike sort of meets your criteria, sort of doesn't;
I ride a 21" Frame with 13.5 Chainstays, and an 8.5" Standover, but I choose for it to be bigger as I also do flowy bowl stuff.
I have 32mm offset forks at the moment but I want some F25s
I have a 52mm Stem at the moment, I;d prefer 50mm
I have Bars with 2 degree upsweep, and 10 degree backsweep, but I'd prefer them with 4/5 Upsweep
I do have a longer seatpost; I have 5-6" of post showing
I definitely don't have a low gear ratio as I ride 28/9, but I have really long legs and ride my bike everywhere and I never have any problems with it when doing technical stuff so I like it.
I have 175mm Cranks and it's what I prefer, again i have long legs and I don't think my bike would feel to great with 28/9 and 165mm Arms.
I have a 2.1" GLH up front and a 1.95" GLH in the back so I definitely agree with this one.
I have a cassette at the moment but I will get a freecoaster some point soon.
I have 4 Pegs, and I love it.

Also I ride Front and Back Brakes, and I ride a straight cable rear brake, which isn't really great for Flat, but I rode gyro before and I have found I prefer a straight cable.

|

1/4/2014 8:02 AM

I prefer more offset than less for flatland. I have more control. I rode zero offset for a bit and didn't like it at all.

|

1/4/2014 8:05 AM

BMX_Forever You're the kinda Guy I'd LOVE to Ride with! You're making the most of the situations presented to You!.. There isn't any decent street obstacles around You so why bother setting up a Brakeless, 4 Piece Bars, 4 Pegs, 4 Hub Guards, Guard Sprocket, Fat Seat, etc, etc, etc!.. Street Bike! I think it's awesome that You're doing everything on one Bike! Obviously Flowing round a bowl, Over massive Ramps etc isn't going to be fantastic on a Street Ready Flatland Styled Frame!!

I'm not 100% Sure if You said You were down for the Vital UK Meeting/Filming/Photography sessions this year? I'm finishing off My Utopia over the upcoming months & when it's done & I have a Definitive answer on whats going down with My Shoulder & Rehab etc... I want to get out riding & make the most of whatever I have left!

|

1/4/2014 9:37 AM

Topsey wrote:

BMX_Forever You're the kinda Guy I'd LOVE to Ride with! You're making the most of the situations presented to You!.. There isn't any decent street obstacles around You so why bother setting up a Brakeless, 4 Piece Bars, 4 Pegs, 4 Hub Guards, Guard Sprocket, Fat Seat, etc, etc, etc!.. Street Bike! I think it's awesome that You're doing everything on one Bike! Obviously Flowing round a bowl, Over massive Ramps etc isn't going to be fantastic on a Street Ready Flatland Styled Frame!!

I'm not 100% Sure if You said You were down for the Vital UK Meeting/Filming/Photography sessions this year? I'm finishing off My Utopia over the upcoming months & when it's done & I have a Definitive answer on whats going down with My Shoulder & Rehab etc... I want to get out riding & make the most of whatever I have left!

Haha cheers.

I'd definitely be up for it but as I'm only 15 I can't drive so I won't really be able to go that far so it depends where.

|

1/4/2014 9:45 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Get pegs and go for it. Streetflat looks fun. (YES I call it streetflat , not streetland , sue me)

i'd get into it , but I can't even manual great so being able to do backwards upside spinning manuals really makes no sense to me.

i cant manual any more than like a parking space but i could balance for some flat tricks. IT seems to be more side to side balance than anything. try it. It's fun. I dont really do it anymore. I only tried it for a couple weeks and got some rocket bar lines down.

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

1/4/2014 10:39 AM

BMX_Forever wrote:

Haha cheers.

I'd definitely be up for it but as I'm only 15 I can't drive so I won't really be able to go that far so it depends where.

Some of Us Old Farts could make the trip to You?.. If Your Parents are chill with it, We could pick You up & bring You along for the whole trip?!

|

1/4/2014 11:10 AM

Topsey wrote:

BMX_Forever wrote:

Haha cheers.

Topsey wrote:

Some of Us Old Farts could make the trip to You?.. If Your Parents are chill with it, We could pick You up & bring You along for the whole trip?!

I'll see closer to the time.

|

1/4/2014 12:32 PM

BMX Forever take that deal yo !! That's killer , nice of Topsey it he'd actually do that. Wish we had that jam in Canada

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/4/2014 12:37 PM

BMX Forever take that deal yo !! That's killer , nice of Topsey it he'd actually do that. Wish we had that jam in Canada

Haha well it's if I can not do I want to; I've got a lot of important things like exams this year and it's also whether I'll be allowed and if I have the money.

|

1/4/2014 1:23 PM

I just kinda thought of it as techy as fuck street riding

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

1/4/2014 3:33 PM

BMX_Forever wrote:

Haha well it's if I can not do I want to; I've got a lot of important things like exams this year and it's also whether I'll be allowed and if I have the money.

You're in Weymouth, Well I really wanted to stop off at Bournemouth for a couple of days. There's obviously the unbelievable beach & bits for like Holiday kinda stuff BUT!.. There is actually a SHITE LOAD of decent Street in Bournemouth! Weymouth is only what a couple/few hours East/West depending on which way You look at it. We could pop down to Weymouth & spend a couple of days with You riding Your spots? Dorset is a seriously nice place! I wouldn't mind spending a few days there haha!

I'm hoping to move to Southsea in the next year/18 months & going to Bournemouth also I had kinda an Idea....It's literally a short boat trip to the Isle of Wight!!! It will be 2015 I'm in at Southsea, So If We just do our very best to hook up this year & then 2015 We all get together, plan out a date that EVERYONE can get together & we have a week/10 days in the Isle of Wight! Everyone gets to My Home In Southsea & then We can just ride to the Docks! Get some of those MAHUSSIVE Travel Back Pack things so We can get a shit load of clothes etc & Obviously for Me A LOT of Meds! We could do a Vital UK IOW Road Trip Edit!!!

What Do The UK Guys Think To That?!

|

1/4/2014 4:43 PM

I always saw streetlanding as more of an extreme techiness. Like someone that will combine grinds with all kinds of peg manuals and hang five hang ten like tricks. haha Like there is tech street where you link all your tricks together and then there is legit streetland. haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

1/4/2014 4:46 PM

its one of the sexiest styles out there… now we need dirt land. hang five a 2 set

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

1/4/2014 7:25 PM

180 a Massive Double, Land Fakie & This could be absolutely insane haha, Hit the next set backwards & 180 back to face forwards!

|

1/5/2014 12:36 AM

BMX_Forever wrote:

Topsey wrote:

You're in Weymouth, Well I really wanted to stop off at Bournemouth for a couple of days. There's obviously the unbelievable beach & bits for like Holiday kinda stuff BUT!.. There is actually a SHITE LOAD of decent Street in Bournemouth! Weymouth is only what a couple/few hours East/West depending on which way You look at it. We could pop down to Weymouth & spend a couple of days with You riding Your spots? Dorset is a seriously nice place! I wouldn't mind spending a few days there haha!

I'm hoping to move to Southsea in the next year/18 months & going to Bournemouth also I had kinda an Idea....It's literally a short boat trip to the Isle of Wight!!! It will be 2015 I'm in at Southsea, So If We just do our very best to hook up this year & then 2015 We all get together, plan out a date that EVERYONE can get together & we have a week/10 days in the Isle of Wight! Everyone gets to My Home In Southsea & then We can just ride to the Docks! Get some of those MAHUSSIVE Travel Back Pack things so We can get a shit load of clothes etc & Obviously for Me A LOT of Meds! We could do a Vital UK IOW Road Trip Edit!!!

What Do The UK Guys Think To That?!

The Bournemouth/Poole area has some amazing places to ride! I should be able to make it to there for a day as well.

There is also a lot to ride in Weymouth, including a decent park, and there is a really good park in Dorchester as well.

|

1/5/2014 7:07 AM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

I think generally the main focus of "streetland" is more flatland specific tricks but performed on or mixed with street obsticals as apposed to just on flatground.

Its in its early stages tho so I'm sure it will develop over time into something more defined, but at its core its just blending street riding with flatland.

Check the utopia stuff over @ wethepeople.com

To me it is basically doing what Rodney Mullen does on a skateboard, but on a bike.

Flatland tricks on street stuff/mixed in with street riding.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/5/2014 12:27 PM

It's all freestyle man

|

fack off