strongest cassette?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/17/2018 2:09 PM

been away for awhile
im still rocking the OG primo cassette

wondering if theres a stronger or better one out there yet?

i just ordered a odyssey clutch freecoaster and will be running that for awhile

|

3/17/2018 2:51 PM

I'd say the Shadow BTR and the Odyssey Antigram are two bad ass cassette hubs..

Also, I have a Clutch V2, and its probably the best coaster out there dude! Did you get the Clutch V1 or V2?

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/17/2018 2:53 PM

The Primo Mix is one of the best hubs ever made! If it's still in good shape, keep it.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/17/2018 3:13 PM

Antigram for sure. Beefy axle and bolts with the switch drive system. Great sound too. I love mine.

|

Ride for yourself and have fun

3/17/2018 3:54 PM

G Sport Ratchet.

|

3/17/2018 4:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/18/2018 4:24 AM

Anything with a 14mm female axle and 4 pawl will be strong
Correction: 3 or 6 pawl is actually stronger but 14mm female is still the best.

|

Hmmm

3/17/2018 4:08 PM

Edman123 wrote:

Correction: 3 or 6 pawl is actually stronger but 14mm female is ...more

4 pawl usually only carries the force on 2 pawls at a time. 3 pawl is actually stronger...

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/17/2018 4:17 PM

Edman123 wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

4 pawl usually only carries the force on 2 pawls at a time. 3 pawl is actually stronger...

Yeah, 3 pawl is where is at.

|

3/17/2018 4:19 PM

jbales wrote:

G Sport Ratchet.

They discontinued those. The antigram is the closest thing to the ratchet.

|

3/17/2018 4:32 PM

jbales wrote:

G Sport Ratchet.

Anthony Loves Subrosa wrote:

They discontinued those. The antigram is the closest thing to the ratchet.

Yeah. it's the best hub I've ever had. I had one in 2009 if i recall. It looked much beefier than the Antigram.

|

3/17/2018 4:37 PM

Edman123 wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

What about 6 pawls?

|

3/17/2018 4:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/17/2018 4:44 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

What about 6 pawls?

6 pawl usually distributes the force between 3 pawls at a time but I did come across an MTB hub before(probably a Novatec) that distributed between 2 at a time for extra "clickiness".

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/17/2018 5:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/17/2018 10:55 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

What about 6 pawls?

6 pawls are annoying sounding (imo) and engage too quick for fakie tricks like big 180s. More drag too if anyone cars about that.

|

3/18/2018 1:33 AM

BSD backstreet pro

|

3/18/2018 5:48 PM

I rode a proper magnalite v2 hub for over 3 years, I really liked how they use a bushing for the driver instead of a sealed bearing I think that made the internals a little bit stronger, the only thing is Proper bike co is out of the u.s so finding somewhere that sells them costs. Also proper rims seem strong enough to handle any type of riding

|

3/19/2018 6:30 AM

I used to have a proper magnati hub modded to run 6 pawls , titanium axle and driver with a magnesium hub shell body , that hub was so sick , don’t know why magnesium never caught on for hub shells , now I’m on a profile elite

|

3/19/2018 7:41 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I used to have a proper magnati hub modded to run 6 pawls , titanium axle and driver with a magnesium hub shell body , that ...more

My magnalite came with a titanium colored axel but it wasn't titanium, but for sure a good quality axel. And wow that is cool how did you mod your driver to accept 6 pawls??

|

3/20/2018 10:57 AM

the original shadow cassettes where the shit. I had one a few years ago, miss it

|

It’s all bmx

3/20/2018 7:34 PM

No guys I'm talking about the primo before the freemix

Primo pro cassette

|

3/21/2018 12:23 AM

The Stranger Ballast should be very strong. I don't the thickness of the flanges on that thing could be any thicker without needing custom spokes. And it uses the Primo Mix internals (big bearings). Of course its heavy for a cassette though.

|

3/21/2018 12:46 AM

Beamex wrote:

The Stranger Ballast should be very strong. I don't the thickness of the flanges on that thing could be any thicker without ...more

the Stranger uses Primo Remix (v1) internals actually... the hub shell bearings are 6802 which are smaller than 6902 bearings the Mix uses... driver is still the same though.

I think the Cult Match/Primo Mix was one of the strongest cassettes, can't speak for the Primo Pro though... don't know enough about it besides it was the predecessor to the Mix. The G-Sport Ratchet was a super strong one too but discontinued now... The Anti-Gram is close, but I don't like that it uses an aluminum center axle (regardless of the helicoils)

|

3/21/2018 2:33 AM

^Damn, thats not as good. I bought mine thinking it was the bigger bearings. That was one of the main reasons I got it.

|

3/21/2018 7:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/21/2018 8:00 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

the Stranger uses Primo Remix (v1) internals actually... the hub shell bearings are 6802 which are smaller than 6902 bearings ...more

The antigram does not have an aluminum center axle for 14mm (the one everyone buys)
The antigram axle is 4130 chromo for the 14mm option.
The 3/8ths version has an aluminum axle.
Photo

|

3/21/2018 8:35 AM

eskimojay wrote:

I used to have a proper magnati hub modded to run 6 pawls , titanium axle and driver with a magnesium hub shell body , that ...more

Shredkink9 wrote:

My magnalite came with a titanium colored axel but it wasn't titanium, but for sure a good quality axel. And wow that is cool ...more

One of the guys at transition in Edmonton did it for me years ago , that was a cool shop

|

3/21/2018 11:19 AM

Anthony Loves Subrosa wrote:

The antigram does not have an aluminum center axle for 14mm (the one everyone buys)
The antigram axle is 4130 chromo for the ...more

oh wait yeah you’re right I was thinking of the front hub being aluminum option only

|

3/21/2018 11:36 AM

Any 14mm chromoly Axle Cassette should be fine- Cassettes by design are very sturdy due to their simplicity.

I had a United Cassette that took lots of metal peg abuse, can't go wrong with the Cult Match-Proven Internals

|

3/21/2018 11:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/21/2018 12:01 PM

Beamex wrote:

The Stranger Ballast should be very strong. I don't the thickness of the flanges on that thing could be any thicker without ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

the Stranger uses Primo Remix (v1) internals actually... the hub shell bearings are 6802 which are smaller than 6902 bearings ...more

Whoops someone already answered. Only thing I dont like about the antigram is the bearings seem to not be as burly as the rest of the unit. Very maintenance friendly design though!

|