stupid headset

Related:
Create New Tag

7/1/2013 10:33 PM

i just bought a black label head set a little while back and have been riding it for i think about a month now i think. now the problem is that when the bike is held up on its back tire and the bar a pulled upward the forks go back into place but when let got a bit the fall back to a slanted position does anyone know whats happening im quite positive ive installed the headset properly its an intergrated headset by the way
[img]http://mirrabikeco.com/gallery/p.php?a=V14/SVZLT0BBXiZSRlZRR0dVW0hNJUBSQCpobWBnajgnJC0mMjw/NzI9LiIoODsuOzoyOSc/Mg==[/img]
heres the specs

Integrated Headset
1-1/8”, full 6061 T6 alloy
1-pc. top cap design with integrated compression ring
Two different top cap heights: 8mm and 15mm
45/45 degrees Campy type angular contact bearings
Three alloy spacers included (1 at 3mm, 2 at 5mm)

Weight: 2.1 oz. (60g)
Colors: Black, Silver, Purple, Gold and Red
im guessing they're a subsidiary of marrico as i see a lot of their parts on completes from them
ps the bearings fit perfectly its weird i used to have a premium headset but i broke the bearing in the bottom part of my head tube and my friend fucked up the dust cap making it stick out and expose the bearings on one side so long story short apparently my local bike shop only has stock sizes for headsets and would have to order one in my size so instead of fighting with the idiots i just bought a whole new headset even though i'm pretty sure they all come in one size

|

Give props if deserved but know respect is earned.
-Anthony Flores
My Kinky Setup

7/1/2013 10:40 PM

Take pics of the headset. Pull it apart set by step and take a picture post them so we can see if you e done something arse about.

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

7/1/2013 10:43 PM

I'm not quite sure what your saying. But what I got from that, make sure your not putting on the race if your forks already have one on it. Another thing is make sure your putting enough spacers in there. There should be some space from the top of the steerer to the top of the stem. This last one probably isn't it but maybe your head tube is ovalized? Oh, and make sure everything is being tightened properly.. Clean out your head tube, and clean off the bearing of any dirt. Then grease it up. Hope I helped...

|

| Temper Tantrum | Instagram | Tumblr | Xbox - Slow Miatas |

7/1/2013 10:43 PM

also its was a battle for me to get the forks to the place where they only move a little tiny i have to hold the forks while i screw on the stem its an awkward position for me since my back isn't the best so it makes my back hurt like a bitch but if i just throw on the forks and stem normally it will move and the top bearings will pop up along with the dust cap its really fucked up and is starting to really get on my nerves

|

Give props if deserved but know respect is earned.
-Anthony Flores
My Kinky Setup

7/1/2013 10:44 PM

Don't sit on your bike while your doing it also^^

|

| Temper Tantrum | Instagram | Tumblr | Xbox - Slow Miatas |

7/1/2013 10:48 PM

ii Krxfted wrote:

I'm not quite sure what your saying. But what I got from that, make sure your not putting on the race if your forks already have one on it. Another thing is make sure your putting enough spacers in there. There should be some space from the top of the steerer to the top of the stem. This last one probably isn't it but maybe your head tube is ovalized? Oh, and make sure everything is being tightened properly.. Clean out your head tube, and clean off the bearing of any dirt. Then grease it up. Hope I helped...

i currently have no spacers on it the fork cap fits flush with the stem also ill start taking it apart and posting pics of it step by step be warned the quality might be shit im useing my bros ipod

|

Give props if deserved but know respect is earned.
-Anthony Flores
My Kinky Setup

7/1/2013 11:31 PM

Photo
right side of the head set

Photo
left side of the head set

Photo
center



Photo
without the fork cap as seen it fits quite nicely with out the spacers i'm currently using the stock topload stem of the haro z1 bike its in real shitty shape but its only a temp since i bent my old forks and the stem that i used to use wont fit these forks and its a temp till i get one im buying off a buddy of mine whose loafing on me hard with it

Photo
dust cap without the stem



Photo
without the dust cap

Photo
bottom of the head set its quite dirty

Photo
top part of head set without forks

Photo
bottom part of the dust cap with the integrated compression ring

Photo
here's everything that came with the head set but the spacers i think they are in my garage somewhere the third next to the small dust cap is the one part im not to sure of at first i thought it was for the bottom part of the head set but when i put it on i still got the same wobble problem so im not sure what it is
|

Give props if deserved but know respect is earned.
-Anthony Flores
My Kinky Setup

7/1/2013 11:48 PM

I think that it might be made for a bigger fork size?

|

I ride for my papou.
Cats got 9 lives I got four.

7/1/2013 11:54 PM

SickDude wrote:

I think that it might be made for a bigger fork size?

it could be i think the sizes for the forks are 31.8- 28.6mm Tapered O.D. Blades, Hi-Ten Steerer, 320mm, A/C, 3/8" axle

|

Give props if deserved but know respect is earned.
-Anthony Flores
My Kinky Setup

7/1/2013 11:58 PM

It may be possible that your top cap is bottoming out when you tighten it,

Try adding a spacer between your dustcap and stem.
And does your fork have the built in bearing race? It seems you are not using it.

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
.
.
.
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

7/2/2013 12:02 AM

Tweetz wrote:

it could be i think the sizes for the forks are 31.8- 28.6mm Tapered O.D. Blades, Hi-Ten Steerer, 320mm, A/C, 3/8" axle

Put your dustcap on on shake it. Does it rattle against te fork?

|

I ride for my papou.
Cats got 9 lives I got four.

7/2/2013 12:09 AM

one try kid wrote:

It may be possible that your top cap is bottoming out when you tighten it,

Try adding a spacer between your dustcap and stem.
And does your fork have the built in bearing race? It seems you are not using it.

Photo
i dont think i have one
|

Give props if deserved but know respect is earned.
-Anthony Flores
My Kinky Setup

7/2/2013 12:16 AM

SickDude wrote:

I think that it might be made for a bigger fork size?

Tweetz wrote:

it could be i think the sizes for the forks are 31.8- 28.6mm Tapered O.D. Blades, Hi-Ten Steerer, 320mm, A/C, 3/8" axle

SickDude wrote:

Put your dustcap on on shake it. Does it rattle against te fork?

the big one does just a little bit the small one fits on snug

|

Give props if deserved but know respect is earned.
-Anthony Flores
My Kinky Setup

7/2/2013 12:18 AM

Tweetz wrote:

the big one does just a little bit the small one fits on snug

Shit, does your old one rattle too?

|

I ride for my papou.
Cats got 9 lives I got four.

7/2/2013 12:24 AM

SickDude wrote:

Put your dustcap on on shake it. Does it rattle against te fork?

Tweetz wrote:

the big one does just a little bit the small one fits on snug

SickDude wrote:

Shit, does your old one rattle too?

no it fit on quite smoothly but its pretty fucked i got it off a friend who offered it to me for my old stock mission dust cap and bearings along with the bearings so my color scheme wouldn't look weird when i put it on i noticed it was fucked im not sure what he did to it but it sticks out on the side exposing the bearings a little

|

Give props if deserved but know respect is earned.
-Anthony Flores
My Kinky Setup

7/2/2013 12:28 AM

These forks did they come with this frame?

Just thinking you could be running the headset with out the lower race. Sort of look like your missing it in the photo

If these fork came with the frame and you didn't remove the race from them Id be adding a very small spacer above the top dust cap. Cause the forks could be bottoming out on the compression bolt

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

7/2/2013 12:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/2/2013 12:46 AM

Gump wrote:

These forks did they come with this frame?

Just thinking you could be running the headset with out the lower race. Sort of look like your missing it in the photo

If these fork came with the frame and you didn't remove the race from them Id be adding a very small spacer above the top dust cap. Cause the forks could be bottoming out on the compression bolt

no these are a pair that came from my snake friends gt air there pretty much temp forks till i can get a proper set since i bent the forks i had a while ago that where from a trade i made with said friend for my forks that where on this bike when i bought it i asked him if he would trade me back these ones for my old ones but he was being dense and like a week after i asked him he apparently did a did a roof jump from a what he says 4 story building and completely fucked his bike i haven't seen him in like 2 weeks so i'm assuming there's some truth to the story since everyone i ask hasnt seen him riding since he said he did it and if its true i dont think i would really want the forks back unless they survived

|

Give props if deserved but know respect is earned.
-Anthony Flores
My Kinky Setup

7/2/2013 10:53 AM

Missing the upper race? Looks like it is gone unless it is part of your top dust shield. Do you have a compression bolt for your fork?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/2/2013 11:56 AM

Tweetz wrote:

no these are a pair that came from my snake friends gt air there pretty much temp forks till i can get a proper set since i bent the forks i had a while ago that where from a trade i made with said friend for my forks that where on this bike when i bought it i asked him if he would trade me back these ones for my old ones but he was being dense and like a week after i asked him he apparently did a did a roof jump from a what he says 4 story building and completely fucked his bike i haven't seen him in like 2 weeks so i'm assuming there's some truth to the story since everyone i ask hasnt seen him riding since he said he did it and if its true i dont think i would really want the forks back unless they survived

I wouldn't want anything that came off a 4 story roof...I call BS unless he blew out his legs, spine, ribs and arms. He would not be walking away from a 40+foot drop without landing on a massive ramp/roller/hill with a huge transition to absorb the impact slowly.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura