switching from street to a park bike

Related:
Create New Tag

9/28/2020 9:38 AM

Hello guys,

after lots of years I would like to build up a park bike.
At the moment I am riding a street bike which has the same components:

- Fork R25 Odyssey
- Frame Cult ollie 21 TT 13.2 cs
- Shadow Vultus 8.75
- Thunderbolt crank 175mm
- 2 wheels with profile hubs and gsport rims

Question is: where should I start?

I would like to build a park bike as I am having lot of fun on ramps and trails while street is not in my interest anymore (so far).

Would you build a new bike or would you just change some parts?

Thank you!

|

9/28/2020 9:41 AM

Your street bike is pretty much a park bike.

|

9/28/2020 9:54 AM

mattiabmx wrote:

Hello guys,

- Fork R25 Odyssey
- Shadow Vultus 8.75

I would like to build a park bike as I am having lot of fun on ramps and trails while street is not in my interest anymore (so far).

Thank you!

I think your main concern should be determining why you need different parts for park riding.

I think the biggest change you could make here would be to swap frames, but I know people who ride park on sub 13" chain stays. It's all preference, you'll be a little more loopier with a short CS, but it can be done.

If you want to ride trails, get something stable, if you want to ride park, determine if a longer CS will actually help you or not. I think going down the road where you get into a mindset of "I can only ride this type w/ this frame" is an expensive way of thinking.

If you absolutely do want to change parts though, I think you'll get the most bang for your buck with a frame change, than anything else.Maybe find something in the middle ground of "not too short, not too long" like 13.5-7" cs.

Additionally, if you wanted to run brakes, you could determine if screw ins will be better for you, or go all out and get welded mounts. That would also help narrow down some choices.

|

Come back with a warrant.

9/28/2020 10:23 AM

mattiabmx wrote:

Hello guys,

- Fork R25 Odyssey
- Shadow Vultus 8.75

Thank you!

Dad_Im_Pregnant wrote:

I think your main concern should be determining why you need different parts for park riding.

I think the biggest change you could make here would be to swap frames, but I know people who ride park on sub 13" chain stays. It's all preference, you'll be a little more loopier with a short CS, but it can be done.

If you want to ride trails, get something stable, if you want to ride park, determine if a longer CS will actually help you or not. I think going down the road where you get into a mindset of "I can only ride this type w/ this frame" is an expensive way of thinking.

If you absolutely do want to change parts though, I think you'll get the most bang for your buck with a frame change, than anything else.Maybe find something in the middle ground of "not too short, not too long" like 13.5-7" cs.

Additionally, if you wanted to run brakes, you could determine if screw ins will be better for you, or go all out and get welded mounts. That would also help narrow down some choices.

Hello!

why you need different parts for park riding ---> because in my mind with a park bike tricks are easier and more comfortable.

I think the biggest change you could make here would be to swap frames --> I don't think running something shorter will be better..what do you think? for trails and park you need longer CS..right?

At the moment my frame doesn't alllow me to use brakes..and actually I don't know how to use it and if will be harder to ride with a brake (for sure I will get a Gyro as I like doing barspin).

Another thing that I don't know if will actually help it's the offset of the fork as at the moment my fork has 25mm offset which is designed more for street.

Thank you!

|

9/28/2020 11:16 AM

Its all in the head. Have you tried using this bike at a park?
These changes are so minor that i dont think they make a difference
Ride Bikes - Have fun.

|

Husky Nation Member

9/28/2020 11:26 AM

Just to add, your bike is kinda all around setup, kinda good for street, kinda good for park.. Your Cs isn't super short, your forks aren't super steep..

|

9/28/2020 1:42 PM

mattiabmx wrote:

Hello guys,

- Fork R25 Odyssey
- Shadow Vultus 8.75

Thank you!

Dad_Im_Pregnant wrote:

mattiabmx wrote:

Hello!

why you need different parts for park riding ---> because in my mind with a park bike tricks are easier and more comfortable.

I think the biggest change you could make here would be to swap frames --> I don't think running something shorter will be better..what do you think? for trails and park you need longer CS..right?

At the moment my frame doesn't alllow me to use brakes..and actually I don't know how to use it and if will be harder to ride with a brake (for sure I will get a Gyro as I like doing barspin).

Another thing that I don't know if will actually help it's the offset of the fork as at the moment my fork has 25mm offset which is designed more for street.

Thank you!

Yes lighter frame would help.

|

9/28/2020 3:54 PM

I dirt jump my btm brakeless with two pegs if that’s what I feel like riding, I’ll ride street on my 13.9 cs ccr also... you’re going to ride park better on a “street bike” you’re used to than a fresh “park bike” build that you aren’t used to...

|

9/28/2020 4:42 PM

Honestly any bmx can be used for any type of riding, dirt, park, street, vert etc. Just go with geo that you like best and you're good to go for all of them.

|

9/28/2020 8:43 PM

Yeah, I don’t know how people can ride two different BMXs. I have enough trouble going on a MTB ride. Even the relatively steep 69deg HA, seems slack in comparison. And those wagon wheels...

|

9/28/2020 9:35 PM

It’s fun to change it up now and then. Sometimes I like the mid school feel, sometimes I want the lighter weight and responsiveness of a modern ride. I’d probably be a more skilled rider if I wasn’t on a different bike like every other day, but I like building, disassembling, changing things up, and seeing the difference it makes. I don’t do it out of necessity though. If I feel like riding park, street, trails or whatever I do it on the bike I’m on. Sometimes it’s fun to do more than one type of riding on the same day/ same ride.

If I’m looking at the right thing, the chain stay on your frame is spec’d at 13.5, no? Is your wheel slammed or close to it? If not you can probably throw a link in the chain and push the wheel back a little to see if you like the feel. That aside, unless you have a particular issue with one of your parts or some characteristic of the bike is hindering your riding, I wouldn’t feel the need to change it.

|

9/28/2020 10:21 PM

Honestly street & park bikes, when it comes to modern geometry, aren’t that different.

I have a setup as park as can be, loud cassette, pegless, short & low frame, but still find myself riding ledges all the time lol.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

9/28/2020 10:29 PM

Just messing around at the park I’d say your bike is fine but if you’re riding legit trails I’d say a different frame and maybe fork would t hurt. Slightly longer tt and cs and maybe fork offset would probably feel nice

Slightly longer stem reach might help a tad bit too

|

9/29/2020 9:19 AM

What kind of park are you wanting to ride?

If youre wanting to flow around and air high and shit:

Long frame 21.25 tt, big wide bars, 13.5+ back end, low bb, small tires with high psi.

If you’re wanting the parkrat whip everything and flairs etc:
Short tt, short cs, low seat, small light tires with high psi, no pegs, light everything

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

9/29/2020 9:51 AM

Dr Sarcophagus wrote:

Yeah, I don’t know how people can ride two different BMXs. I have enough trouble going on a MTB ride. Even the relatively steep 69deg HA, seems slack in comparison. And those wagon wheels...

Dude I love riding. Different geo for different tricks...

|

10/3/2020 11:11 PM

jboozer4 wrote:

I dirt jump my btm brakeless with two pegs if that’s what I feel like riding, I’ll ride street on my 13.9 cs ccr also... you’re going to ride park better on a “street bike” you’re used to than a fresh “park bike” build that you aren’t used to...

I can totally agree with this!

|

10/3/2020 11:19 PM

thank you so much guys for your help.

Maybe I am totally wrong but I thought in my mind that having a park frame (which has a different geo), and other parks parts would help me to increase faster my skills and let me feel more comfortable but, like some of you said, having a totally different bike probably would be worst than just using my current one.

I really like how a park bike looks (no pegs, frame with gyro, female hubs) and I don't know if I will keep riding street as in the last couple of months I went to ride street probably 2 times..that's why I would like to have a different setup. Sometimes you like to try new things..maybe I can try to buy atleast a park frame as I will be able to put a brake and feel more safer.

|