tennis elbow

Related:
Create New Tag

9/12/2016 4:16 AM

Anyone ever get this and did you have to lay off the BMX to get it to heal? I have looked online and think i have tennis elbow, there is a better name for it but it's way to many letters. The #1 prescription for it is resting it for up to SIX WEEKS! Even if I lay off the bike I still have to work, so anyone else have any success with this? and if so did you use the straps or what?

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

9/12/2016 5:46 AM

I have a sprained wrist and I'm still playing basketball, riding bike, running, carrying heavy things. My wrist will probably never heal, lol

|

9/12/2016 6:09 AM

They have good mesh-like elbow sleeves that help support your joints and stuff. Maybe try something like that?

|

Ride Until The Day I Die

9/12/2016 7:38 AM

yea your best bet will probably be wearing sleeves or something of that sort.

|

9/12/2016 10:47 AM

Shadow recently came out with a new line of slim safety gear I would look into it.

http://shadowdev2.com/shop/riding-gear-gloves.html

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

9/12/2016 10:57 AM

Compression sleeve, alternate Ice and heat, the occasional anti-inflammatory medicine and REST.

I am going through the same thing right now, and heat so far has been the best helper. I plan to heat it in the morning and ice in the afternoon.

For me it makes it UBER hard to hop or grip, so transition riding is about my only option.

I would suggest take a riding break and film your homies for a bit and let it rest up.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/12/2016 4:09 PM

allright thanks guys!

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

9/13/2016 3:39 PM

Yeah, I posted in Dave's thread about this the other day.

Stretching rubber bands with your fingers helps a ton.

Also, use the thickest grips you can find.

|

5/14/2021 12:04 PM

Bringing this one back up because I'm going through it. Lol.

I see a lot of compression recommendations. Just curious if I tightened my pro tec elbow pad tighter would it mimic the effects of compression sleeves.

|

5/14/2021 1:08 PM

WiteMic wrote:

I see a lot of compression recommendations. Just curious if I ...more

Doubtful. You won't get a consistent amount of compression and your elbow pad is still going to slide around.....you might even over tighten it and restrict blood flow to an area that's still healing. Just buy an elbow sleeve if you think you need compression.

|

5/14/2021 1:11 PM

WiteMic wrote:

I see a lot of compression recommendations. Just curious if I ...more

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

Doubtful. You won't get a consistent amount of compression and your elbow pad is still going to slide around.....you might ...more

Just did. Was asking for the time being. Gonna just biofreeze it & do hot to cold for a little while.

|

5/14/2021 2:58 PM

Serious answer is no tennis for six weeks sorry bud

|

5/14/2021 3:03 PM

Massage is the key and clean eating to reduce inflammation , quick method is two aleve before a session but things will continue to get worse . Google search for massage and lateral epicondilitis you should be able to find a video

|

5/14/2021 4:02 PM

dirtbomb74 wrote:

Serious answer is no tennis for six weeks sorry bud

Dammit. My back swing is killer. Welp. I guess I can't be the next Rodger Feder

|

5/14/2021 4:05 PM

dirtbomb74 wrote:

Massage is the key and clean eating to reduce inflammation , quick method is two aleve before a session but things will ...more

Today was my last day of eating like shit (wings & fries) anyway so I'm taking care of that. Gonna show my wife those videos and see if she can hook it up. And I take aspirin usually. It's what we have. Lol. But the bio freeze slightly helps. From what I read though tennis elbow is one of those things that comes & goes as it pleases. You can get it just from leaving your arm on a seat arm for too long.

|

5/15/2021 5:08 AM

KT tape or something similar works well for me. Don't take too much aspirin, or anything else for that matter. If you take it too often your body just builds a tolerance to it and it doesn't work when you really need it.

|

5/15/2021 10:07 AM

go barless?

|

5/15/2021 10:47 AM

Tennis elbow is caused by one certain action you're doing. Probably whipping bars as hard as you can. Stop whatever that one thing is for a while and it'll go away.

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

5/15/2021 11:57 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Tennis elbow is caused by one certain action you're doing. Probably whipping bars as hard as you can. Stop whatever that one ...more

I was gonna say that. I get tennis elbow in my ankle when I practice crashing whiplashes too much

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?
Instagram: @theothermaj

5/15/2021 12:11 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Tennis elbow is caused by one certain action you're doing. Probably whipping bars as hard as you can. Stop whatever that one ...more

MJbmx wrote:

I was gonna say that. I get tennis elbow in my ankle when I practice crashing whiplashes too much

Wouldn’t you get tennis ankle in your ankle?

|

5/15/2021 4:20 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

It honestly doesn't hurt when I ride. When I'm done though and I'm just relaxing it's annoying af

|

5/15/2021 7:57 PM

MJbmx wrote:

Tendinitis

|

smile

5/16/2021 8:54 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

MJbmx wrote:

PastaIsLitty wrote:

Tendinitis

This was mostly a joke to reinforce BSG's comment.

If it's not too bad, just keep riding but avoid things that stress that joint. Otherwise, take it easy for a while and let it heal. Tennis elbow - tendonitis in the elbow - would be pretty hard to not aggravate with every hop while riding. Maybe try for more flow and less hop? Since it sounds like it hurts after the session not during, it's probably not full tendonitis and just some inflammation. Go easy for a week or two, drink water, and maybe take some anti-inflammatories and avoid sugar. (Not a doctor.)

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?
Instagram: @theothermaj

5/16/2021 9:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/16/2021 9:37 AM

For what it's worth..

My tennis elbow doesn't hurt while I'm doing the action that causes it, only afterwards.

For example, if I arm wrestle someone who is really good at it, my elbow won't hurt till it's over. Then the next two days it feels like a cross between a toothache and a smoldering fire in my elbow. If arm wrestle again before it heals, it can take 3 weeks to heal instead of a few days.

I've also gotten tennis elbow from swinging a badmitton racquet at carpenter bees lol (stupid I know)

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

5/16/2021 10:02 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

For what it's worth..

My tennis elbow doesn't hurt while I'm doing the action that causes it, only afterwards.

For example, ...more

I've been letting it heal the best I can. I take care of my mother in law so lifting her might aggravate it. I've been putting bio freeze on it. I only take aspirin if it hurts bad (only had to once but only as a test).I still move the joint so it doesn't get stiff. Ain't much I can do right now though. Might just try the compression sleeves & hope it works.

|

5/17/2021 4:21 AM

So I found a way to relieve it in a few days. The pain is usually in my elbow and close to it. I learned the spot (for mine anyway) to put pressure and massage it out for me is about 3-4 inches away from my elbow down my forearm. There is a muscle that knots up and I massage the knots until they go away. Hurts like a mofo, makes my hands tingle etc, but after 2-3 days I am back to riding.

Similar to what these guys suggest:

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/25/2021 1:42 AM

Alright listen up. I may not be a very good BMX rider, but damn I am a great rock climber, who's been doing that for most of my life, and for that time, tendinosis of the medial epicondyle has been a fucking villain to me.

Massage doesn't do much. Anti inflammatorys don't do much. Various drugs, remedies, stretching don't do much. Rest and "healing time" doesn't do shit. If you "rest" the scar tissue in the tendon just builds up and it gets worse. Tendons like to be loaded and they rot if you don't use them.

What will actually fix it, is loading those tendons with targeted strength training. You trained your way into it, you have to train your way out. Get a dumbbell, take the plate off of one side (so it's just a weight on a stick), wrap the handle in tennis grip tape or road bike bar tape, and begin the Dr Saunders Dodgy Elbow program. http://drjuliansaunders.com/ask-dr-j-issue-223-dodgy-elbows-revisited/

|

5/25/2021 1:59 AM

Photo

This is my weight-on-a-stick. I'm doing my external rotation sets right now. Of all the dumbest things to do to your body, I like permanently scarred my elbow tendons, and have to do this for as long as I want to climb and ride.
|

5/25/2021 4:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/25/2021 4:36 AM

CaseALot wrote:

Alright listen up. I may not be a very good BMX rider, but damn I am a great rock climber, who's been doing that for most of ...more

Ok, if massage doesn't work, explain why every time I have an issue and massage the muscle/tendon in my arm/elbow, my pain is gone and I am back to normal by the next day with my diagnosed tendonitis? But also explain why when I would just work my arms and use them, it would get WORSE?

I get strengthening your muscles etc as a PREVENTATIVE method, and even maintenance between issues, but when there is already an issue, you should be properly caring for it. Overworking a knotted up/cramped muscle and inflamed tendon is a pretty solid way to do more damage-which I have done to my shoulder and is entirely why I can pop it out of socket easily/have chronic random pains. I overworked it when I should have let it rest/heal.

I'll go ahead and take my medical advice from those who are actively and properly educated in the subject.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/25/2021 11:27 AM

You know what caused the tennis elbow , you keep that up your going to go blind

|