the legend of future rust

Related:
Create New Tag

1/13/2016 7:48 PM

After messing around for a few hours tonight I noticed scuffs and scratches starting to appear on the handlebars. I think the paint job must suck, because I only leaned it a few times against a rough wooden deck while adjusting things (brakes still all over the place, but it's coming together. they go EEEEee...EeEe...Eeeeee hahah)

I don't really care about it getting banged up, it's gonna happen if it's being ridden, but at what point should I do maintenance to prevent rust? I don't ride in the wet, but this place is like Dagobah on its own. Yoda chillin in my backyard and everything, so some exposure to moisture is inevitable.

and what do you think about just applying a little clear nail polish on larger scuffs when they show? think that'll be enough to seal it off?

|

I can't upload a photo for my sig. it's that guy puking really hard, except it's coming out of his ears and eyes, too. just imagine that instead of this text. oh look, there he is now!

1/13/2016 7:50 PM

you could just go full on volkswagen fanboism and make rust look cool. like in this
[youtube]

[/youtube]
|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

1/13/2016 8:01 PM

lmao that's great! i'm set to get some airplane paint stripper or a flame thrower, strip that paint off, throw it in the pond, and become the coolest on the block.

|

I can't upload a photo for my sig. it's that guy puking really hard, except it's coming out of his ears and eyes, too. just imagine that instead of this text. oh look, there he is now!

1/13/2016 8:02 PM

I've seen some people ride rusty frames for a while or even rust it on purpose for god know's why.

Unless you leave it to rust in the rain for a year, the strength of your bars probably isn't compromised at all and it's pretty normal to have a little rust on your bars, especially where they normally get scratches at the bend. If you feel OCD about it, there are rust converter products you can buy at most hardware stores and sealing off any scratches in the paint with nail polish or lacquer or whatever would be nice preventative maintenance.

|

1/13/2016 8:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2016 8:06 PM

|

1/13/2016 8:13 PM

SafetyFirst wrote:

I've seen some people ride rusty frames for a while or even rust it on purpose for god know's why.

Unless you leave it to ...more

thanks! yeah I have no idea why anyone would rust on purpose.

nah no OCD, I don't mind spots here or there. just I have a big rust spot on my car from ignoring a paint chip, and don't want to repeat my laziness. that spot grew overnight it seemed ; p paint peeling around it as it gets brown and orange. really should go fix that >_

|

1/13/2016 8:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2016 8:51 PM

Rust on a BMX is cool man! Not purposely rusting, I mean the little natural ones that show with age. It adds character like the grey strands in my hair, defining wrinkles on my face, or the random pimples on my butt; maybe that last one wasn't cool, but you get my drift.

|

"STREET" all day, ere'day.

1/13/2016 9:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2016 9:26 PM

Buzzbegone wrote:

Rust on a BMX is cool man! Not purposely rusting, I mean the little natural ones that show with age. It adds character like ...more

that mental image though lmao like a jpeg loading on dialup line by like to reveal a horror

i know what you mean though, looking forward to riding long enough to see those! just glad to know it won't become a rust bucket if i don't obsessively maintain it

note: a "less than" sign on the forum breaks a post. i want to test < (using & lt ; )

|

1/13/2016 9:42 PM

On my local shops distro site , every clear frame comes with warning saying now how raw frames can have "rust" but it's not a defect . A little bit of surface rust doesn't hurt , I even like my hand - rawed bars with a bit of surface rust . Just make sure it's not on a weld or something because it'll snap !

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/13/2016 9:59 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

On my local shops distro site , every clear frame comes with warning saying now how raw frames can have "rust" but it's not a ...more

That's true rust isn't necessarily harmful on the surface. It's kinda like it's a scab over a wound right? Doesn't the outer rust protect the metal sorta?

|

"STREET" all day, ere'day.

1/13/2016 10:13 PM

I kinda like when my raw frame gets those spider web little rust marks, those look so cool to me for some reason. haha

but i really dislike serious rust. It's annoying and bad for the frame at times. I like weld areas to stay free of real rust.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.