this is the part nobody talks about

Related:
Create New Tag

2/7/2015 11:20 AM

the one part nobody talks about, rimstrip!

every company has one. odyssey has 2 different ones. what is the best rim strip you have ever used? i know for a fact not all are created equal! also im in the market for a rimstrip so yeah could use some advice.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/7/2015 11:29 AM

they dont matter at all if you use correct sized spokes, and tension them right
any old strip is fine, ive used duct tape before and never had a problem

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

2/7/2015 11:33 AM

Yeah, especially with double wall rims, any rum strip should do fine

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

2/7/2015 11:52 AM

I use electrical tape.

|

2/7/2015 12:29 PM

When your posts are more retarded than dk itself

|

13 years old

2/7/2015 1:30 PM

I've used Odyssey and Demo strips, they worked fine smile

|

My FBM bike check

2/7/2015 1:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2015 1:38 PM

Krooked wrote:

ya know Krooked, you actually we're on my good side until you posted that shit^ ,and I suppose drew Bezanson, Jamie bestwick, and BK(despite hes on gt now, he rode dk for i cant remember how many years so hes in on this too) are all retarded as well? aswell as the retarded team frames, social cranks, and alpha parts, and dk stems AND
I suppose ALL the OLYMPIC LEVEL race bikes are ALL "retarded" as well... well,

WELCOME TO MY SHITLIST YA LITTLE ASSFUCKER!

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/7/2015 1:35 PM

Flea wrote:

I've used Odyssey and Demo strips, they worked fine smile

thanks i'll probably just get an Odyssey strip since its an odyssey rim(seems only right)

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/7/2015 1:55 PM

Krooked wrote:

dkTechEthan wrote:

ya know Krooked, you actually we're on my good side until you posted that shit^ ,and I suppose drew Bezanson, Jamie bestwick, and BK(despite hes on gt now, he rode dk for i cant remember how many years so hes in on this too) are all retarded as well? aswell as the retarded team frames, social cranks, and alpha parts, and dk stems AND

1. Racing is stupid
2. They ride for dk for the money lmao
3. How come only stupid park rats ride for dk? No cool disciples lmao
4. Who cares that i'm on your shitlist

|

13 years old

2/7/2015 2:04 PM

I've got one of the odyssey tapes but like some guys say electrical tape works and is lighter. Only bad side is sticky shit I guess.

|

2/7/2015 2:12 PM

Krooked wrote:

dkTechEthan wrote:

Krooked wrote:

1. Racing is stupid

well, since your the only one whos still talking about it...

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/7/2015 4:08 PM

I personally use 100 mph tape it makes me go faster!! ( if you are retared i was just joking )

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

2/7/2015 4:37 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

I use electrical tape.

This.

|

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. (‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭12‬:‭7‬ KJV)
Sold to: storeboughtchild,Maximusbikes,cro tec,Showtime402,Kevinbrock338,dktechethan,Robinson79
Traded: livefreeordie2332(x2), Aebasher.
TXT Me (480)340-7551

2/7/2015 5:30 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

I use electrical tape.

anything but this. do not do this. especially with double wall rims. electrical tape is designed to stretch. under pressure, it dips into the spoke holes and deforms. this can lead to cuts in the tape, which lead to cuts in the tubes.

go to your lbs and ask for a roll of high pressure cloth rim tape for road bikes. they're usually rated to 160psi or more, last forever, and you just cut it to size for your rim. a roll can do dozens of wheels.

|

2/7/2015 5:32 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

Krooked wrote:

1. Racing is stupid

dkTechEthan wrote:

well, since your the only one whos still talking about it...

put them back in your pants, kids.

|

2/7/2015 5:46 PM

There is a reason no one talks about rim strips

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

2/7/2015 5:59 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

I use electrical tape.

Velo/Raptor wrote:

anything but this. do not do this. especially with double wall rims. electrical tape is designed to stretch. under pressure, it dips into the spoke holes and deforms. this can lead to cuts in the tape, which lead to cuts in the tubes.

go to your lbs and ask for a roll of high pressure cloth rim tape for road bikes. they're usually rated to 160psi or more, last forever, and you just cut it to size for your rim. a roll can do dozens of wheels.

Can do.

|

2/7/2015 6:22 PM

Shady~Piez wrote:

I've got one of the odyssey tapes but like some guys say electrical tape works and is lighter. Only bad side is sticky shit I guess.

Lol.... add one layer sticky side up first, then another sticky side down over it. Two or three layers of duct tape works fine if you need strips.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

2/7/2015 6:46 PM

Velo/Raptor wrote:

Electrical tape works perfectly fine and much better than the cheap rubber ones that some people use because the rubber wears out and will snap.

We use electrical tape at the shop I'm at and never ever run into any of the issues you mentioned, but probably cause we do more than 1 layer of it. 2 is usually enough unless it has a bunch of holes in the rim, then more is applied.

Actual rim tape & cloth strips are much better though, I just use the Danscomp ones I got with my wheels like 6 years ago and a Fit one that came with a tire since one of the Danscomp ones started getting small cuts in it. Works fine for me..

But as for the original question.. Is that even a serious question? Just pick a brand you like and go with it. They're nothing special, just pc strips with a vinyl covering.

|

2/7/2015 7:35 PM

I've been using Velox rim tape religiously for the last 15 years or so.

|

2/7/2015 8:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2015 8:34 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Electrical tape works perfectly fine and much better than the cheap rubber ones that some people use because the rubber wears out and will snap.

We use electrical tape at the shop I'm at and never ever run into any of the issues you mentioned, but probably cause we do more than 1 layer of it. 2 is usually enough unless it has a bunch of holes in the rim, then more is applied.

Actual rim tape & cloth strips are much better though, I just use the Danscomp ones I got with my wheels like 6 years ago and a Fit one that came with a tire since one of the Danscomp ones started getting small cuts in it. Works fine for me..

But as for the original question.. Is that even a serious question? Just pick a brand you like and go with it. They're nothing special, just pc strips with a vinyl covering.

electrical tape only works fine temporarily, and is fine on single wall rims (given enough layers and provided you dont twist the spoke nipples). the problem with it on double wall rims is the unsupported area of tape above the spoke holes. it stretches and cuts very fast. its not expensive to do it properly, so do it properly.

the fact you work at a shop doesnt give you much extra credibility. working at a shop is kind of a right of passage for most riders. myself, all the guys i ride with, and probably half the other guys on this forum work at or have worked at a shop. and if you work at a shop, i wouldn't go around telling potential customers you do that. even if it works for you, it makes your shop look hella bad. not trying to hate, just advice. i got in a lot of trouble when i started at my shop and a customer complained i used electrical tape instead of a rimstrip.

|

2/7/2015 8:50 PM

Velo/Raptor wrote:

electrical tape only works fine temporarily, and is fine on single wall rims (given enough layers and provided you dont twist the spoke nipples). the problem with it on double wall rims is the unsupported area of tape above the spoke holes. it stretches and cuts very fast. its not expensive to do it properly, so do it properly.

the fact you work at a shop doesnt give you much extra credibility. working at a shop is kind of a right of passage for most riders. myself, all the guys i ride with, and probably half the other guys on this forum work at or have worked at a shop. and if you work at a shop, i wouldn't go around telling potential customers you do that. even if it works for you, it makes your shop look hella bad. not trying to hate, just advice. i got in a lot of trouble when i started at my shop and a customer complained i used electrical tape instead of a rimstrip.

Every one of the people whose rims I've wrapped with electrical tape have never had any issues, and they're all double walled. Both of one of my friend's rims have been wrapped with the same tape for almost 3 years now with 0 issues, I think that speaks for itself that it does work long term. 1 layer? No, 2-3? Easily.

The tape does sink in, but not significantly enough to do so unless you're using really cheap tape or masking tape (Which funny enough, I'm currently looking at an old wheel in my room that has been wrapped in masking tape and none of the spoke holes are cut up.)

And I get that, but regular customers and potential customers alike are okay with it. The shop owner has been running the shop longer than some of the people on here have even been alive and if it didn't work long term, he wouldn't be doing it, same with a lot of people on this forum who have no issues doing so.

If someone were to request a rim strip. we'd certainly abide though.

|

2/7/2015 9:11 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Every one of the people whose rims I've wrapped with electrical tape have never had any issues, and they're all double walled. Both of one of my friend's rims have been wrapped with the same tape for almost 3 years now with 0 issues, I think that speaks for itself that it does work long term. 1 layer? No, 2-3? Easily.

The tape does sink in, but not significantly enough to do so unless you're using really cheap tape or masking tape (Which funny enough, I'm currently looking at an old wheel in my room that has been wrapped in masking tape and none of the spoke holes are cut up.)

And I get that, but regular customers and potential customers alike are okay with it. The shop owner has been running the shop longer than some of the people on here have even been alive and if it didn't work long term, he wouldn't be doing it, same with a lot of people on this forum who have no issues doing so.

If someone were to request a rim strip. we'd certainly abide though.

i can respect that. admittedly i used electrical tape myself with very few problems before i got my job, and the problem is much more relevant to road bikes than bmx bikes. it's just a ghetto trick, and one people at my shop are wary of. i figure if you saw me work, you'd find one of the ghetto tricks i use to be somewhat unprofessional. i guess it's all good as long as we keep our customers happy right?

|

2/7/2015 9:24 PM

Velo/Raptor wrote:

i can respect that. admittedly i used electrical tape myself with very few problems before i got my job, and the problem is much more relevant to road bikes than bmx bikes. it's just a ghetto trick, and one people at my shop are wary of. i figure if you saw me work, you'd find one of the ghetto tricks i use to be somewhat unprofessional. i guess it's all good as long as we keep our customers happy right?

True, I'm not too fond of it just cause I'm super picky about my bike and don't want the sticky stuff on my rims haha otherwise I'd do it too. But yeah the customer's satisfaction is what matters.

|

2/8/2015 6:09 AM

I use those cloth MTB tapes.

|

2/8/2015 11:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/8/2015 11:55 AM

US One Piece Rap Video:

Lyrics to US One Piece Rap
"There once was pirate named Gold Roger, whowas the King of the Pirates.
He had fame, power and wealth beyond your wildest dreams.
Before they hung him from the gallows, these were the last words he said.
"My tresure's up for the taking, but you'll have to find it first. I left everything I own in One Piece.
Ever since, pirates from around set out in search of One Piece, the tresure that will make their dreams come true."
Yo!
Ya-yo Ya yo!
Dreamin', don't give it up Luffy.
Dreamin', don't give it up Zolo.
Dreamin', don't give it up Nami!
Dreamin', don't gi-give it up give it up give it up give it up give it-no!
Here's how the story goes we find out, about a treasure in the Grand Line there's no doubt.
The pirates whose eyes on it he'll sing "I'm the King of the Pirates, I'm goin' to be King!"
Ya-yo Ya-yo Ya-yo, uh-oh.
His name is Luffy (that's Monkey D. Luffy)
Goin' to be king of the pirates.
He's made of rubber (How did that happen)
Yo-ho-ho, he took a bite of gum-gum
Ya-yo Ya yo
His name Zolo, he's like a samarai.
And a l.a.d.y, Nami's not shy.
Usopps doing that moksman,Sangis cooking,Choppers doctoring
Ya-yo Ya-yo Ya-yo, uh-oh
Set sail for One Piece, it's the name of the treasure
In the Grand Line.
Ya-yo, Ya-yo set sail for One Piece!

Arittakedo yume wo kaki atsume
Sagashi mono wo sagashi ni yuku no sa

One Piece