thunderbolt crank socket drive install

Related:
Create New Tag

4/24/2015 6:49 AM

Hey,

Never had a socket drive crank before and I'm trying to install it now. I know they made these pretty simple to install, I just needed to know if I'm over-thinking this one. I'm trying to install a socket drive Tree Lite sprocket onto it but I can't get the chain-wheel on all the way. I was wondering if anyone had experience with these cranks, who could tell me weather or not this sprocket is on far enough. I'm just trying to avoid hammering the piss out of it, I don't want to bend a brand new sprocket. Here are some pics:

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

I mean I think I have it on there enough (more than half the sprocket is on) but there's still a little gap that bothers me. When I look on the other side of the crank (near the crank arm), there isn't much more room for this sprocket to slide on. That's why I'm guessing it might be on enough.

|

4/24/2015 7:13 AM

IANAE but my primo DSG is pressift and I couldn't get it to press and fit so I just put it in place enough where it stayed proper and shoved the wheel in my dropouts and tightened my wheel and it all just popped into place now when i take my wheel off it stays on and its no issues... so MAYBE instead of needing a hammer to fit it on, put your cranks on your bike and make them very tight and you should see the sprocket press into place just like my hubguard did...

|

The Trendy One
"You're Like The Dollar Store David Grant..."
xxohioanxx - "finger azn girl, finger comes out smelling like sesame chicken"

4/24/2015 7:49 AM

I'm not just pounding the thing with a hammer. I had a plastic sleeve that fit over the spindle and I was "tapping" it on. I think I'll just do what you suggested and tighten the crank on the frame and see what happens.

|

4/24/2015 8:04 AM

Did it come with any thing to tell how to installed the thunderbolt I say just take to a bike shop it will save you time. here the picture. Hope this help If you can't see just click on the picture and zoom in or just downloaded.cool

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

4/24/2015 8:21 AM

Looks fine. That's how mine is. The chamfer on the Tree sprocket isn't as big as it should be, that's why it doesn't fit right up against the arm.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

4/24/2015 8:33 AM

@acedog: no it didn't come with any documentation. Just a triangular box and a warranty card (bought from danscomp). Thanks for the picture(s) though.

@xxohioanxx: I figured as much, just wanted to double check.

Thanks for the help guys I guess I'll just go with it.

|

4/24/2015 7:03 PM

Remember its an interference fit too, its meant to have resistance to make sure there is no slop and not to wallow out your sprocket.

Enjoy, looks like a good setup.

|