tightening parts

Related:
Create New Tag

8/4/2013 8:34 PM

how tight do you guys like your parts 2 guys i know like to over tighten their parts they call it horse tightening its pretty much them just tightening their parts like a stem till its pinched and stuff like that they came over to my house a little while back asking to use my tools to tighten one of their chains they started on it all normal except they had to put a load of effort into just getting the blots loose when i went over and took a look the chainstays look bent inward toward the wheel so they start adjusting the wheel and get it the way they like it then they just went complete ape shit on the bolts like it was making noises each time he tightened it i said one of these days your gonna snap a bolt or something they just insisted they like to horse tighten their parts so they don't fall off i just said what ever its your bike not mine. but with me and everyone ive rid with and have done maintenance on bikes with tighten the bolts and other parts just enough so they don't wobble or fall off what about you guys how tight do you like your parts and do you guys think its smart for them to be tightening their parts like this

|

Last words?
Just have fun on your bike.
- Jeremiah Smith

8/4/2013 8:39 PM

I tighten the shit out of everything but not crazy like that. Just tight enough that I know I can ride long distance and ride hard and have nothing to worry about. Never over tighten like that, you're asking for broken bolts or stripped parts.

|

Bikes. Cameras. Cars. Beer. NYx845

8/4/2013 8:48 PM

It isn't exactly smart to be tightening parts THAT much but tbh I'd still rather have parts too tight than too loose. I generally just tighten stuff until it becomes too tight to keep doing it by hand. Sometimes I will put a bit of body weight into it though to get that little bit of extra tightness.

|

My Old* Steed

Click here and follow me :D
Twitterrr

8/4/2013 9:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/4/2013 9:09 PM

Ressler711 wrote:

I tighten the shit out of everything but not crazy like that. Just tight enough that I know I can ride long distance and ride hard and have nothing to worry about. Never over tighten like that, you're asking for broken bolts or stripped parts.

yeah one of them tightened my friends from wheel while he went to the bathroom and bent his fork dropouts inward he didn't notice till he took his wheel off a few weeks later to change a popped tire he had to get his dad to help him get it untightened

|

Last words?
- Jeremiah Smith

8/4/2013 9:10 PM

I do it enough that it stays on and performs good but I can still get it off.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

8/4/2013 9:59 PM

I tighten the shit out of everything.. so my bike is dialed but not to the point i can't get it off or it stripps...

|

Ride Or Die
PrimoPro Hub All Day
Tan Walls above all

8/4/2013 11:02 PM

Not a good idea. Most of the fasteners on BMX bikes don't even require that much torque, and a fair few will causes mechanical issues if over torqued, lots of which most people aren't even aware of (for instance, it doesn't take much torque to warp a brake mount)

|

8/4/2013 11:47 PM

jawn wrote:

Not a good idea. Most of the fasteners on BMX bikes don't even require that much torque, and a fair few will causes mechanical issues if over torqued, lots of which most people aren't even aware of (for instance, it doesn't take much torque to warp a brake mount)

i've told both of them several times that its quite unnecessary to tighten it that much but they think their such hard riders that they need to i landed one of them a stem he gave it back pinched now it doesn't fit onto my forks i'm thinking for taking a blowtorch but i'm not sure if i want to go through the trouble

|

Last words?
- Jeremiah Smith

8/4/2013 11:51 PM

That's a real shame, but at least they'll be giving more money to the sport than necessary.

P.S. Don't attempt to repair the stem please, just be rid of it

|

8/5/2013 12:00 AM

yeah thats true even still its a shame to see the parts get fucked for no reason and with the stemi feel that if i blowtorch it it will just snap when i go to ride and i honestly have no clue how to dispose of it i was thinking of taking it to a junk yard or something to sell as scrap or maybe a pawn shop since no one will buy or trade it off me lol i tried giving it away for free but my friend wouldn't take it

|

Last words?
- Jeremiah Smith

8/5/2013 12:03 AM

Random public rubbish bin should do the trick, or keep as a momento, or hold onto to make a hang-5 bike eventually (bars forks wheel peg[s] stem and nothing else)

|