tips for jumping a hip

Related:
Create New Tag

10/23/2015 8:58 AM

I'm from the old school where hips weren't as prominent as they are today. I have been practicing on a small hip but I just can't seem to get the landing down smoothly. I either land crooked on the landing (as if the jump was not a hip), or I land correct on the landing but my weight is in a weird shift.

I'm assuming you cannot just rotate your bike mid-air, since your trajectory will still be going straight. Do you guys carve the lip? Maybe I should be focusing on the landing and not the lip before hitting it? Should I shift my weight before hitting the lip?
Thanks.

|

10/23/2015 10:26 AM

Go straight-turn in the air-best way to do it

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

10/23/2015 10:51 AM

I come at hips at an angle near the top. Essentially on a 90 degree hip I come at the top around 45 degrees to make sure I have the ability to land decently, then I treat it like a straight jump. OR if I am spinning I try to land around 45 degrees from where I started angle-wise if that makes sense.

Photo

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/23/2015 10:59 AM

Make sure to go off the top of the hip and bounce both wheels off coping like airing a quarterpipe , carving always takes momentum away and youl have less amplitude the more you carve

|

10/23/2015 11:14 AM

Also just ride it a LOT. It will take practice to be able to boost the crap out of it and still land ok/with a solid pump. Learn to pump over it slowly, then apply the same motions to it as you go faster and faster.

What also helped me was nose bonking over the top of the hip, basically jump low and put your front wheel down on it, keeping your front wheel aimed where your momentum has you going will be very helpful.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/24/2015 12:12 PM

Motowhips help

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

10/24/2015 1:05 PM

Thanks guys.
Yeah motowhips. Thats next.

|