tire psi to low???

Related:
Create New Tag

4/4/2017 5:49 PM

I have been riding street for about 5 years and just moved to Indy where we have major taylors so im riding a lot more park but ive kept my tires at 35 psi im 140 pounds all geared up. I know this is probably extremely low but i pumped my tires up to 60 and it felt awful it was super uncomfortable and i just did not feel right on my bike. I literally found a stick and let air out mid session it was that bad i couldnt seem to get the same hop or any grit on my tricks.. im pretty sure i hit rim pretty often and dont think thats very good lol. what do you think btw new to the site and forum

|

Crankflips are bae

4/4/2017 6:02 PM

35 psi? How is it working? Don't the rear wheel slide to much when jumping sideways,carving,or any sudden change of direction?

|

4/4/2017 6:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2017 6:04 PM

OldDudeCruisingAroundDoingStuff wrote:

35 psi? How is it working? Don't the rear wheel slide to much when jumping sideways,carving,or any sudden change of direction? ...more

actually i haven't had any issues unless going over like 5+ sets or drops its a bit sluggish which is annoying but im a pretty small dude i guess

|

Crankflips are bae

4/4/2017 6:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2017 6:15 PM

I mean,I never had tire pressure that low on bmx, only on my mtb. Maybe there's difference when the tire is bigger.
But at 30-35 psi on mtb a quick carve and bunny to the left or right ( imagine obstacle just around the corner,jumping instead of riding around the corner) and i end up sliding 2 feet straight ahead on my back wheel if not falling. It slides that milisecond that front wheel leaves the ground. And bmx is like 70 percent more riding maneuvers.
Well if it works for you. But yeah,it sounds like quick rim destruction.

|

4/4/2017 6:17 PM

but i like the absence of ''basketball'' sound when having lower pressure.

|

4/4/2017 6:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2017 6:43 PM

I also run around 35 psi. It works great for me. Any higher and, as you said, it feels uncomfortable.

|

4/4/2017 6:44 PM

You keep riding at 35 psi my man ! Bmx company's need to make money off riders breaking rims somehow ..........if it hurts your riding to slow or it hurts because your rims are bottoming out on the ground

|

4/5/2017 12:48 AM

Some tires are like that, though. When I run 80 PSI in my 1.95" Maxxis tires, it feels that way. I don't remember what model it was, but a friend had some super heavy, fat tires with lots of rubber, I assume, and he ran 40 PSI and felt like my tires.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

4/5/2017 1:08 AM

Keep them at 60 for a few days and you won't be able to ride 35 anymore. I used to be the same way, riding around 40 psi, then I moved up to 60, now I can't ride below 80. Your just asking for trouble running that low. No more flats either.

|

4/5/2017 5:23 AM

I myself run 80-90 on the street and around 60-65 on trails. My sweet spots

|

4/5/2017 5:42 AM

Anything below 105 is too low in my opinion. Everything just feels sluggish.

|

4/5/2017 6:06 AM

I would say if you're hitting rim you gotta get used to a bit more psi. I like mine as soft as possible without hitting rims. If I were still riding to spots I would pump them up harder just to make sure they get me home.

|

4/5/2017 7:50 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Keep them at 60 for a few days and you won't be able to ride 35 anymore. I used to be the same way, riding around 40 psi, then ...more

yeah I think ill try increasing small amounts and just see what happens thanks for the input

|

Crankflips are bae

4/6/2017 11:32 AM

I recommend, to put like 8 psi every 1/2 days and you will get use to it, thats how I did it

|

Wake up, ride, have fun, repeat.

4/6/2017 1:30 PM

That's not a question. You just said what you like,but doubt it. It's so simple.

|

4/6/2017 1:39 PM

I run 80, let it go until they hit 60 and back up.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/6/2017 2:21 PM

im so bad at keeping my tires inflated so its not uncommon for me to let them get super soft (like 25-35 psi min.) and them pump em back up. i hated how sluggish it felt. to each his own, i guess

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

4/6/2017 2:47 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

This ! Dave is the man . You'd like riding my bike .

My Animal tires say minimum 85 PSI , so I pump it up there ( around 80-90 ) and once it starts feeling soft , pump it back up again .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/6/2017 4:05 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

This ! Dave is the man . You'd like riding my bike .

My Animal tires say minimum 85 PSI , so I pump it up there ( around ...more

Same here, 80 to 90 PSI and every once in a while I pump them again. As long as they're somewhere in that range, I don't even think about it.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/24/2020 6:37 AM

I’ve stepped down from 80psi to 60psi to 40psi and I’m probably at 35psi today. From my understanding “high psi” tires actually hold together at lower psi than a low psi tire that maxes out at a low psi. Plus, I feel like I get WAY more grip in tech tricks on the street at park with low psi, I ride odyssey path pros 2.4”. Double tires on rails make more sense to me being done with a tire that squishes than something close to rock hard.

|

5/24/2020 7:19 AM

Low psi is a Gimmick!

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

5/24/2020 2:16 PM

Holy gravedigger

|

5/24/2020 8:19 PM

Nothing wrong with 35-40 psi at your weight.

|

5/24/2020 8:26 PM

Where's the guy who trashes on someone bumping a 3 year old thread?

|

Иди сюда и поцелуй меня