to old for BMX?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/18/2016 1:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2016 1:25 PM

Hi guys, im Stephen, I run cyclemedic.net and I just put this together so thought I would show it off...

Photo

Its just a bit of fun and was built as a frame to hang those nice RaceFace Chester pedals on, not finished yet but Im having fun on it. The question is, after 50 years of riding road and MTB am I to old to start BMX?

Look up the web site for more pix and some review stuf.

Actually I dont care what you think... I already started.

|

The Cycle Medic - www.cyclemedic.net

Book it in - We come to you - You ride!

2/18/2016 1:06 PM

oops, meant to post this in the 'introduce yourself' thread! Sorry.

|

2/18/2016 1:49 PM

"...50 years of riding road and MTB..."

how old are you?

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

2/18/2016 2:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2016 2:05 PM

ticaleb wrote:

how old are you?

Old. But not to old!

Tell you what, I remeber when this bike was new and my son was riding it!

|

2/18/2016 2:08 PM

I just turned 35 and all I can say is as long as you enjoy it and take it for what it is, you can't go wrong. Take it too seriously or worry about how good you are and it'll soon lose its fun. This applies to anyone, of any age really but if you want to ride, ride!

|

2/18/2016 2:09 PM

Im probably half your age,,. But double everyone else age here....so I hope get used to falling... But at least ill try!
Go for it! You definitely have more experience than most in riding

|

2/18/2016 2:10 PM

ticaleb wrote:

how old are you?

CycleMedic wrote:

Old. But not to old!

Tell you what, I remeber when this bike was new and my son was riding it!

I wouldn't say anyone is "too old" to start. If you are looking for freestyle and such, this is the place.

I know a handful of local racers that are in their 50s still riding the local track. A couple do a little cruising and some wheelies and stuff outside of the track, but that's about it. Not too many doing much more locally.

As long as you have fun, that's all that matters!

Also I recall when that bike was new too, or at least similar models running the Triple Triangle.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/18/2016 2:16 PM

well i'm 28 and i plan to ride until my body won't let me or until i lose the passion, but i can't fathom that happening.

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

2/18/2016 2:19 PM

Thanks for the positive sentiments guys! I raced dual slalom on a rigid steel MTB in the late 80's but even then there were younger guys who were prepared to hurth themselves more than I was.

When Im not doing my day job working on them Im out there turning the pedals and jumping the kirbs!

|

2/18/2016 3:05 PM

I'm 30 and plan to ride until I physically can't or the motivation is gone. BMX has been my passion for more than 16 years, and I added road and MTB around 3-5 years ago.

The logic I have is that if I cannot ride BMX anymore due to injury or whatever, I will transition to singletrack, when that is no more, then road bikes, and casual cruising.

Assuming my body handles it. I added working out at the gym 5 times a week back in November and I can tell I am already a little better off than I was with BMX, BUT I am still slower to get back up than I was when I was 20.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/18/2016 3:06 PM

if you love something do it, not mater how old you are.

also welcome to the site

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

2/18/2016 3:49 PM

a 73 year old man won the men's 45 and up at the bluegrass nationals. NOBODY here has any claim to the phrase :To Old For BMX.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/18/2016 3:52 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

a 73 year old man won the men's 45 and up at the bluegrass nationals. NOBODY here has any claim to the phrase :To Old For BMX. ...more

Love it! There is hope for me yet.

|

2/18/2016 4:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2016 4:14 PM

I know a rider who is over 50 who got in to riding pretty recently. He's incredibly fit though so I'm sure that's a big help.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

2/19/2016 1:59 PM

ha, what a topic..

I'm half dudes age but probably DOUBLE everyones age here..

Lets jus say I was already OLD when Standard, SBC, were at the peak of their prime..

anyways, last night I hit up an indoor bike park..

1st time Foam pit, was hucking 180's like nobodys business.. sh*t was LIVE!!

Anyways funny thing happened, when I stopped and looked, maybe cuz it was a school night but about 95% of the people there were of the "older" variety probably 35 and up.. so yeah, guess YOUR(we) are not alone...

keep riding

oNe

|

2/20/2016 1:41 AM

Phabeon wrote:

ha, what a topic..

I'm half dudes age but probably DOUBLE everyones age here..

Lets jus say I was already OLD when Standard, ...more

Thumps up for the 35ers smile
Im off for a bit of riding and learning after i have my coffee

|

2/20/2016 10:33 AM

I don't think so. I'm turning 29 soon and am just getting back into BMX after being away for more than a decade. I have a lot of fun riding and learning new stuff. The only thing that is kind of a bummer is that most of my friends don't ride anymore, so I primarily ride by myself.

|

2/20/2016 11:08 PM

Never too old for BMX man!

"The day you stop riding is the day you start dying."

I'm 33yrs old by the way and plan to continue of course.

|

"STREET" all day, ere'day.

2/23/2016 4:08 AM

Just turned 30, it takes a lot longer to recover nowadays compared to when I was 15.

|

2/23/2016 7:30 AM

As long as you can walk you can pedal! Never too old. Welcome!

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

2/23/2016 8:14 AM

I'm 43, lost the passion for a few years but it returned with a vengeance! Have fun till it isn't anymore, or your body gives out as has already been said. I feel the best I have in years thanks to working out a few times a week plus riding on the weekends.

|

Free thinkers are dangerous