total begginer

Related:
Create New Tag

6/1/2012 8:00 AM

hello. i have a restoration bike i just bought for 20$. its a 2001 diamondback session. IDK anything about bikes, but what other parts are compatible with diamondback sessions. example being handlebars, sprochets? etc

|

6/1/2012 8:04 AM

i would think the only things that id be worried about is forks, headset and stem (if it is 1inch then it wont be compatible with many of the new stuff) and the other thing to look into is the cranks, you may need seeled american bottom bracket to be able to buy any new cranks

other than that you can pretty much buy any parts for it

|

6/1/2012 8:06 AM

yeah my fork had rust on it, i used CLR and it was like new!

|

6/1/2012 8:08 AM

Most parts should be compatible, but if you're just starting out then it would be way cheaper to just get a different complete. Personally I don't even know what your bike looks like and the search bar is a mile away.

Sorry I failed you.

|

The winners guide to tricks: Tuck-it, huck-it, or fuck-it!

My music:http://fxaudiorage.bandcamp.com/

6/1/2012 8:16 AM

haha no probs! I got it because I work on cars, i go to school to me an auto mechanic so this will be a good project to start outt

|

6/1/2012 9:13 AM

I would suggest buying a Premium, Sunday, or Untied complete bike. Its the best bang for your buck. Because you can drop $350 into a new frame and still have terrible parts on it, or you can spend $400 and get a pretty good all around complete.

|

6/1/2012 9:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2012 9:20 AM

SoCalShreds wrote:

I would suggest buying a Premium, Sunday, or Untied complete bike. Its the best bang for your buck. Because you can drop $350 into a new frame and still have terrible parts on it, or you can spend $400 and get a pretty good all around complete.

I think that would be veinbmx wink

But untied bikes sound pretty sick.

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

6/1/2012 9:47 AM

the frame believe it or not is actually mint haha. the handlebars are shot but my nephew is giving me a free pair. the chrome fork is a little bad but i clred it. and it needs a front tube and brakes

|

6/1/2012 9:53 AM

clements315 wrote:

the frame believe it or not is actually mint haha. the handlebars are shot but my nephew is giving me a free pair. the chrome fork is a little bad but i clred it. and it needs a front tube and brakes

If you are planning on actually riding it I'd give up.

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

6/1/2012 10:38 AM

If you just want it as a little project to fix it up and just cruise around you will probably be fine. If you're actually going to ride it i have a feeling that whenever you start putting some stress on the frame/forks/bars/cranks it's going to snap somewhe. I could be wrong though

|

6/1/2012 1:31 PM

according to bikepedia it has a chromoly frame bars & fork at least, 1 1/8 headset, buttttt it has a 1pc crank. meaning, most everything nowadays will fit, except for an integrated headset (unless you get the conversion kit), a 3pc crank (unless you get a sealed BB & newer crank, or unsealed crankset & hardware) pedals are different sizes but they still make 1/2 size pedals, your wheels are 48h so you need to make sure if you get new stuff for them that it's 48h as well, or a whole new 36h setup, oh and if the front wheel is 14mm you need a 14mm fork obviously, which is extremely hard to find nowadays since most all are 3/8

|

6/2/2012 12:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/2/2012 12:22 AM

just ride it and fix stuff as it breaks... the cranks will prolly bend once you get on to decent stuff... if i were you id just pick upa set of these because theyre 50 bucks off and definitely a steal for the price

and this bottom bracket

and these pedals so youd be all set with that section of your bike

you said your nephew is giving you bars so thats all set

and for brakes it depends on what you need... do you just need pads? arms? new cables? a lever? or the whole setup?

but as far as everything else goes i would just buy parts as they break/bend and whatnot or just with spare bucks every now and again... if not you can find more good deals at

veinbmx.com
danscomp.com
albes.com
sidewallactionsports.com
or even at a local bike shop

if you got any more questions feel free to ask

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "