triangularized rim.

Related:
Create New Tag

2/16/2014 8:47 PM

Why hasn't any company made a double wall rim with triangular compartments? In the picture below the rim has three little compartments. If you made a wide, rim, bigger than the industry standard, say 1.80, and made four triangular compartments, the triangular shape would spread stress evenly. Has anyone done this?Photo

|

2/16/2014 8:51 PM

Something like thisPhoto

|

2/16/2014 8:52 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Something like thisPhoto

Just flipped over, pic is upside down.

|

2/16/2014 8:53 PM

Never seen it. Might be expensive to fabricate, but seems like a superb idea from an engineering standpoint.
Props for the thought process.
Patent that shit.

|

HardBMX_Tim wrote: I welded a peg to my pedal so I could do pedal grinds. I would rather wear a teletubbies speedo than a shirt with the word "Bitches" on it, or even worse, "Swag".

2/16/2014 9:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2014 9:11 PM

Weight, mainly. No one wants 25 ounce rims anymore. People REALLY overthink the whole "triangles are the strongest shape" thing. You can't just say "MOAR TRYANGULZ" and expect everything to be stronger. Plus, we have no problem with rim strength considering we have Ribcages.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

2/17/2014 6:26 AM

It would add a HUGE amount of rotational weight. Besides, this is already used by Odyssey, Alienation, etc. Only difference is they apply it to the rims appearance. Imo it wouldn't make much of a difference anyway since the rim is still a circle. It would still get flat spotted just as easily. Only strength factor it would effect is if maybe you felt like hitting your rim strip with a hammer for no reason, it would make the inner wall dent proof.

It would be a 5lb $200 rim with few, if any, benefits.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/17/2014 7:22 AM

Photo
|

2/17/2014 7:39 AM

The idea is there, but it would have to be figured out with a bunch of R&D to make it happen. Also, since every kid that rides is a weight weenie of sorts, it would have to be like 20 oz MAX. Hence the R&D.

Honestly the biggest thing about "stronger" rims is keeping your spokes tensioned correctly. If you true your wheels periodically (I do mine once a month in winter, weekly in summer) they last a LOT longer. Most of the reason rims bend/get damaged is spoke tension being off.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/17/2014 8:27 AM

That rim would be heavy and would cost more.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

2/17/2014 8:51 AM

Why don't companies make sprockets with paws so you have a freecoaster with a cassette with instant engagement?

|

2/17/2014 9:51 AM

Crevop wrote:

Why don't companies make sprockets with paws so you have a freecoaster with a cassette with instant engagement?

Might be pretty expensive

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

2/17/2014 10:13 AM

Not needed. Alex Supra rims will still dominate

|

2/17/2014 10:48 AM

Crevop wrote:

call mutant bikes up. lol

|

Refs: 360Xuprider, Hatebreeder, MrHavoc1988

Email: Shanebaker6969@yahoo.com

!!!My Bike Check!!!

2/17/2014 11:56 AM

Crevop wrote:

You realize all that would do is make the bike more complicated, heavier, and make the engagement slightly worse than the freecoaster on it's own right? Some trials bikes have a ratchet system for their sprocket but it's instead of the one in the hub and it's to make the weight more centered.

|