trimming bars

Related:
Create New Tag

7/24/2014 12:57 AM

I like my bars but they are pretty long. (670mm)Gonna get some pipe cutters and take off half an inch on each side.is this a bad idea? Or is this the norm way of doing this?

|

7/24/2014 6:23 AM

measure twice, cut once. You don't wanna end up lop sided

|

Ref: Mario.villegas90, Williambreathes

7/24/2014 8:36 AM

joshmpark wrote:

measure twice, cut once. You don't wanna end up lop sided

^^^^^^^

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

7/24/2014 8:51 AM

Thanks! Excellent advice u guys!

|

7/24/2014 8:56 AM

Personally i measure how much i want off each side, wrap a piece of paper around the bar and mark it all the way around as that way you get a straight cut without having to compensate for upsweep, cut with hacksaw file for a few seconds to take off burr.

I dont use pipe cutters as they are meant for soft metal, the blades dull very fast on HT steel.

|

7/24/2014 9:07 AM

I use one of these at the bike shop

Photo

Just measure, mark, and line up where the mark is and take a hacksaw to it and it'll cut it straight. Usually I'll clamp it in a vice to make things easier.

Whatever method you choose, always measure at least twice and be sure to file down the sharp edges and throw some barends in there afterwards.

|

7/24/2014 9:18 AM

A friends of mine recommended sliding my grips in a half inch and then measuring a few times to be sure and then cutting them. Doesn't seem like that bad of an idea to me if you don't have access to said tools and methods above.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

7/24/2014 9:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/24/2014 9:24 AM

I got this at oreillys auto parts for 8 dollars, cut thru 2 sets of S&M chromoly bars and my bb spacer and still works just fine. If you use them correctly they should last a while. Slow and steady don't get the blade too tight on the bar and it works perfectly Photo

|

7/24/2014 9:40 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i've used this shit on my forktube and countless bars, not to mention i got it used from my buddy who used it for welding projects and his bikes

|

Insta: @devicacy

7/24/2014 12:25 PM

^what is that exactly?

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

7/24/2014 12:28 PM

bmxfromma wrote:

^what is that exactly?

some sort of pipe cutter likely for heat treated metals?

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

7/24/2014 12:40 PM

It's a tube cutter, you can get them at most lowes/Home Depot/oreillys I got the one from oreillys because it said it's for steel, the ones at lowes said copper pipe cutter and I know chromoly is a lot harder than copper lol so I went with the one that said for steel tubing on the package

|