wallmart mongoose bmx upgrade?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/26/2014 8:51 PM

hey guys im new here and wanted to post a new topic about my mongoose bike,and i dont want to hear "mongoose is a trash just buy a new one"........so anyway i got this mongoose bmx around 2006-2007and moved to mexico, veracruz and noticed there are no real bike shop around or any legit shop for good items sad everything is no name bikes and pirated stuff not even local wallmart sells mongoose or other good bikes...so heres the thing i want to start freestyle bmx and need lightweight upgrades for my heavy mongoose..dont know were to start

|

7/26/2014 8:58 PM

Cranks sprocket bars and forks and then stem and later wheels then frame oh and seat because it's probably railed.

|

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. (‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭12‬:‭7‬ KJV)
Sold to: storeboughtchild,Maximusbikes,cro tec,Showtime402,Kevinbrock338,dktechethan,Robinson79
Traded: livefreeordie2332(x2), Aebasher.
TXT Me (480)340-7551

7/26/2014 9:13 PM

Mario.villegas90 wrote:

Cranks sprocket bars and forks and then stem and later wheels then frame oh and seat because it's probably railed.

why not the frame first since its what weighs the most ?

|

7/26/2014 9:34 PM

Mario.villegas90 wrote:

mrwaffles98 wrote:

If you have the money go for it but if it's a walmart mongoose you going to have to change pretty much everything at once .if it a 1 piece crank and standard non integrated headtube.

|

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. (‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭12‬:‭7‬ KJV)
Sold to: storeboughtchild,Maximusbikes,cro tec,Showtime402,Kevinbrock338,dktechethan,Robinson79
Traded: livefreeordie2332(x2), Aebasher.
TXT Me (480)340-7551

7/26/2014 9:43 PM

Back wheel

|

7/27/2014 5:19 AM

go look at dans comp online. i live in the sticks too. no bikes shops for 50 miles. i have to get all my parts, frames, ect through dans comp. i think dans will ship to mexico?

|

i ride to stay young

7/27/2014 11:34 AM

Mario.villegas90 wrote:

mrwaffles98 wrote:

Mario.villegas90 wrote:

If you have the money go for it but if it's a walmart mongoose you going to have to change pretty much everything at once .if it a 1 piece crank and standard non integrated headtube.

how about a old school huffy or gt chromoly frame?

|

7/27/2014 12:17 PM

how old is it?

|

i ride to stay young

7/27/2014 1:39 PM

Im going to be honest with you. You will need to buy a new bike. I would recommend picking up a walmart Dk or something else. I am telling you from experience. If you check out my Bike check in my Sig. You will notice its really a ghetto build, and that's because I bought a new set of forks for my mongoose that i bent the forks on, well the mongoose uses a 1" headset rather then a 1 1/4" headset that quality bikes use. So i was unable to really even fit the forks into the frame. Mind you i looked at buying a 1" headset and it was about $40 more expensive then the 1 1/4". So i bought a new frame that would fit the forks.and i figured ill keep my cranks and everything else. Well the bottom bracket doesn't even come out of the mongoose. But I managed to get the cranks out, well they dont even match a standard size of crank. so then I had no way to get my cranks thru. so i needed new cranks. I got new cranks and then went to put it all together and the axles on the mongoose rear wheel are smaller then the common axles size on quality bikes. From my knowledge with the walmart dk bikes you get everything you need to start with. and atleast they are upgradeable.

Yes you could upgrade a mongoose, but you will end up spending more money on each part and have a much more limited selection. your better off ordering a entry level or box level bike online.

|

7/27/2014 1:41 PM

kikcer2 wrote:

Im going to be honest with you. You will need to buy a new bike. I would recommend picking up a walmart Dk or something else. I am telling you from experience. If you check out my Bike check in my Sig. You will notice its really a ghetto build, and that's because I bought a new set of forks for my mongoose that i bent the forks on, well the mongoose uses a 1" headset rather then a 1 1/4" headset that quality bikes use. So i was unable to really even fit the forks into the frame. Mind you i looked at buying a 1" headset and it was about $40 more expensive then the 1 1/4". So i bought a new frame that would fit the forks.and i figured ill keep my cranks and everything else. Well the bottom bracket doesn't even come out of the mongoose. But I managed to get the cranks out, well they dont even match a standard size of crank. so then I had no way to get my cranks thru. so i needed new cranks. I got new cranks and then went to put it all together and the axles on the mongoose rear wheel are smaller then the common axles size on quality bikes. From my knowledge with the walmart dk bikes you get everything you need to start with. and atleast they are upgradeable.

Yes you could upgrade a mongoose, but you will end up spending more money on each part and have a much more limited selection. your better off ordering a entry level or box level bike online.

fuck walfart shit
if anything get a decent complete or a used custom

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

7/27/2014 3:08 PM

kikcer2 wrote:

well....do i get a new frame to be able to upgrade everything? cuz like i said before i saw this gt mache full chromoly frame and maby i can fit the rest of my mongoose pieces into it

|

7/27/2014 3:10 PM

urebmx wrote:

how old is it?

i dont know i only saw it from a mexican site....i can give link for the frame i u want http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-455320700-cuadro-gt-bmx-mach-one-old-school-_JM

|

7/27/2014 6:09 PM

its old school allright... i like it but i like all the old bikes. that gt frame has 1 inch threaded forks and headset so make sure your mongoose is the same. it also has an american bottom bracket but im thinking your mongoose has that too. no brake mounts so youll be brakeless or you can run caliper brakes [old school]. not sure about the seat post size. some older frames have diffrent seat post sizes.

|

i ride to stay young

7/27/2014 8:00 PM

urebmx wrote:

its old school allright... i like it but i like all the old bikes. that gt frame has 1 inch threaded forks and headset so make sure your mongoose is the same. it also has an american bottom bracket but im thinking your mongoose has that too. no brake mounts so youll be brakeless or you can run caliper brakes [old school]. not sure about the seat post size. some older frames have diffrent seat post sizes.

ok well my mongoose is from the usa and i have been riding brakeless since i can remember .but how do i know how big is my fork? and headset?

|

7/27/2014 8:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/28/2014 8:37 AM

most threaded forks are one inch so are threaded headsets. if your mongoose has a threaded headset then it should work. a threaded headset works by using threads on the outside of the fork to provide compression. a threadless headset uses threads on the inside of the fork [star nut, welded star nut] to provide compression. some threadless forks use outside threads too but you should be able to tell the diffrence.

|

i ride to stay young

7/28/2014 1:58 PM

urebmx wrote:

most threaded forks are one inch so are threaded headsets. if your mongoose has a threaded headset then it should work. a threaded headset works by using threads on the outside of the fork to provide compression. a threadless headset uses threads on the inside of the fork [star nut, welded star nut] to provide compression. some threadless forks use outside threads too but you should be able to tell the diffrence.

ok and one last thing are my cranks going to work with that frame and is that frame i showed you meant for racing or can i use it for freestyle too?im worried the frame can snap or something im very concerned for the weight cuz thats my objective..to lose alot of weight

|

7/28/2014 2:21 PM

Your best bet is to get a used custom if you can, though like a couple post up, if you have to get a wal-mart DK, i do agree with steve that wal-mart bikes are no good at all but if its a last resort kind of thing get it... for the mongoose... i suppose i can't say anything that you have already pointed out, not to offend.

|

Refs: Four x4, Dolphin, BrokenBMX, Tomdon, ecuadevil...

7/28/2014 5:19 PM

TheRadDragon wrote:

Your best bet is to get a used custom if you can, though like a couple post up, if you have to get a wal-mart DK, i do agree with steve that wal-mart bikes are no good at all but if its a last resort kind of thing get it... for the mongoose... i suppose i can't say anything that you have already pointed out, not to offend.

wallmart in vercruz mexico dont sell bmx sad but ive seen a small group of riders in the beach maby i can get a frame with them people i dont know

|

7/28/2014 7:40 PM

Even putting parts on my 2008 fit is a struggle. I got the bike for free and have put $950+ into it. If I were you I would look at Dans comp online. They ship pretty much every where. The hard truth is the you will spend way less money this way and save yourself a lot of pissed off days after breaking parts and eating shit because of your Walmart bike.

|

7/28/2014 8:16 PM

TheRadDragon wrote:

mrwaffles98 wrote:

wallmart in vercruz mexico dont sell bmx sad but ive seen a small group of riders in the beach maby i can get a frame with them people i dont know

awh, maybe, but like jonathan above said you may have to order parts from dans, maybe empire for parts though i would look around if you can get a decent used frame and begin getting a hold new bike, doesn't have to be the greatest just something to start out with (minus the mongoose) then start adding better parts from there... hopefully those guys you mentioned are chill and won't give you any trouble too...

|

Refs: Four x4, Dolphin, BrokenBMX, Tomdon, ecuadevil...

7/28/2014 10:35 PM

as long as your mongoose cranks have an american bottom bracket it will fit. not sure what the frame was made for but im sure it will be fine. depends on how hard you ride.

|

i ride to stay young

7/29/2014 9:15 AM

you might not want to hear it but the truth is upgrading it is going to be near impossible and extremely expensive, you are much better off trying to get a second hand custom either off here or ebay, ect

|

7/29/2014 10:11 AM

urebmx wrote:

as long as your mongoose cranks have an american bottom bracket it will fit. not sure what the frame was made for but im sure it will be fine. depends on how hard you ride.

well before i moved to mexico i got the mongoose back at the u.s so i think so and that group i dont know but ill try to talk to them and see what happens....im 15 and their already adults.. i dont know

|