weird noise?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/8/2013 9:31 AM

So i just bought abrand new cult half link chain yesterday from my lbs and when i put it on it would start to make loud cracking noises when i pedal. the bike shop said that the chain needs to break in so is this true and if it is how long does it take to break in and is there anything else i can do to stop the noise? (please reply)

|

8/8/2013 9:35 AM

Did you lube it?

|

Mostly peaceful posting on vital.

8/8/2013 9:40 AM

bloghogs wrote:

Did you lube it?

x2

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

8/8/2013 10:12 AM

bloghogs wrote:

Did you lube it?

yup the bike shop did it for me

|

8/8/2013 10:30 AM

Eh,give it a few days.If it persists,take it back.

|

Mostly peaceful posting on vital.

8/8/2013 2:12 PM

it sounds more like a BB problem

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

8/8/2013 4:26 PM

I bet it is too tight.

Or your sprocket is too worn. Possibly your driver.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/8/2013 5:25 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I bet it is too tight.

Or your sprocket is too worn. Possibly your driver.

hmm really narrowed it down there champ....
just messing with you

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

8/8/2013 6:10 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I bet it is too tight.

Or your sprocket is too worn. Possibly your driver.

DeviantBMX123 wrote:

hmm really narrowed it down there champ....
just messing with you

Those are the 3 main things I have had chain noise from.

The last one would be dry or dirty chain.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/8/2013 6:32 PM

I'll go into a little more detail with you....

How tight is your chain? Can you physically push it up & down? Not huge amounts but enough that it moves? If its too tight it will be super hard to move & you will need it adjusted.

How old are the Sprocket & Driver on your bike? The Teeth on the Sprocket &/or Driver maybe so worn to your old chain that your new chain will never "break in" at all. Meaning you will have to replace the Sprocket & Driver which could cost a fortune depending on your Hub. I mean you could find a decent Sprocket for a bargain online but the Driver could be A LOT.

The other is lubrication, i mean i never lubricate my chains (committing a sin i know) It's not 100% necessary but when you put a new Chain on an old Sprocket & Driver i think its a must TBH.

Give it a few days & if it doesn't break in, take it back to the shop that fitted it explain what the issues are & you may possibly have to shell out for a Sprocket & possibly a new Driver too unfortunately.

|

8/8/2013 6:51 PM

Topsey wrote:

I'll go into a little more detail with you....

How tight is your chain? Can you physically push it up & down? Not huge amounts but enough that it moves? If its too tight it will be super hard to move & you will need it adjusted.

How old are the Sprocket & Driver on your bike? The Teeth on the Sprocket &/or Driver maybe so worn to your old chain that your new chain will never "break in" at all. Meaning you will have to replace the Sprocket & Driver which could cost a fortune depending on your Hub. I mean you could find a decent Sprocket for a bargain online but the Driver could be A LOT.

The other is lubrication, i mean i never lubricate my chains (committing a sin i know) It's not 100% necessary but when you put a new Chain on an old Sprocket & Driver i think its a must TBH.

Give it a few days & if it doesn't break in, take it back to the shop that fitted it explain what the issues are & you may possibly have to shell out for a Sprocket & possibly a new Driver too unfortunately.

THIIIIISSSS..
I usually have no more than 1/4 inch of play with my chain and that keeps it pretty quiet.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura