what is a ...

Related:
Create New Tag

6/5/2008 11:55 PM

casset hub? does it make a difference?

|

6/6/2008 6:34 AM

Its a hub where you have to pedal backwards while fakieing. its the opposite of a freecoaster with which you do not need to pedal backwards

|

AUGUST 1ST=GO BMX DAY!

6/6/2008 7:43 AM

Some of you haven't been riding long enough to remember freewheels. A freewheel screws over the hub and it basically has the same characteristics of a cassette hub as far as riding goes. A cassette hub works very much like a freewheel hub except everything is integrated into the hub instead of being external like a freewheel. A cassette hub has notches on the inside of the hub. The driver is a gear that has paws and springs, the paws catch the notches inside the hub and spin the wheel when you pedal.

The benefits of a cassette hub are better engagement and being able to run a more compact drive train.

|

I awarded myself infinite cool points. Breaking the rules has never been this cool... EVER! Forever.

6/6/2008 8:26 AM

To add onto what street Crime said, with a freewheel the smallest rear gear you can run is a 12 (if you can still find them, DK used to make them but stopped because the bearings are so tiny in them that they blow up really easily) or a 13. This means your most compact gearing that doesnt feel like shit is a 36-13.

with some cassette hubs, you can go as small as an 8 tooth in the rear, allowing you to run a 23-8. A smaller drive system is a lot stronger and a lot lighter. Just keep in mind your riding style though. The smaller the rear cog, the smaller the bearings are, and you can begin to encounter the same problem you run into with a 12 tooth freewheel - the bearings become really easy to destroy. I'd only recommend an 8 or 9 tooth driver for someone who is fairly easy on hubs, doesn't grind on their same drive side, and doesn't run a super tight chain. Chain tension also puts stress on your driver bearings, so if you want to run something mega-tight so your cranks don't spin or something, or if you're just really hard on hubs - stick with something like a 28-10. it's still a nice small, light drive system, but the bearings in the drivers are a lot bigger and a lot tougher to blow.

Hope this helps

|

6/6/2008 8:32 AM

it makes the bike GO FAST lmao

|

6/6/2008 10:14 AM

With the super tight chain to prevent cranks from spinning, I have just tightened my spindle bolts on my cranks a little more, and that does the same job, but then puts that stress onto the cranks instead of the wheel. Then your chain does not have to be stupid tight. Lately, i just ride it with a little slop in the chain, but since my chain is retarded hard to get off anyway (I run it as short as possible, my wheel is basically slammed in the dropouts) I don't worry about it randomly coming off. Works for me, maybe not for some of you. Just my 2 cents.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/6/2008 10:58 AM

14t freewheel is as small as it gets.

watch this. it shows all the diff. things beetween a casset and freecoaster.
|

Colony bmx 4 life!

6/6/2008 11:26 AM

joelikesbmx wrote:

14t freewheel is as small as it gets.

watch this. it shows all the diff. things beetween a casset and freecoaster.

odyssey makes a 13t

|

I am Mediocre!!

6/6/2008 11:29 AM

i have the 13

|

¡Odio patinadores!