what you need to know about hubs

Related:
Create New Tag

8/16/2013 1:28 PM

can someone explain the basics that i need to know about hubs im completely clueless about them ,
can someone explain the difference between male and female ( i know people perfer female but why )
what to look for in buying a hub
how to determine if a hub will fit a rim
and them just some basic anatomy of hubs

|

8/16/2013 1:32 PM

Hub's are the only confusing part of a bike.. i would also like to know this!

|

ı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨

8/16/2013 1:46 PM

Obviously you can tell front & rear hubs apart.

Shells- usually aluminum Can be made of other material The less machining the better

Axles-Male is just a standard straight axle. Female is a 3 piece axle system with a center axle in the hub shell and bearings then a bolt that screws into the center axle. Female is stronger strength wise. The female is available with either 3/8 or 14mm bolts depending on what hub it is. Then there is what everyone calls shemale. It's a female axle but has 14mm stubs that stick out to go in the dropouts to lessen the load on the bolt. Shemale is usually only found on rear hubs.

Drive side- pretty self explanatory. Right or left side. Pick the opposite of the side you grind on.

Hubs are often overthought. they really aren't that confusing

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

8/16/2013 1:48 PM

So basically say.. If i run pegs on my left side i should run a right side drive?

|

ı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨

8/16/2013 1:51 PM

Chrisaustin wrote:

So basically say.. If i run pegs on my left side i should run a right side drive?

yeah, otherwise you will just risk fucking up your sprocket and driver and shit way more often.

|

8/16/2013 1:52 PM

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

8/16/2013 1:53 PM

Chrisaustin wrote:

trainwrex wrote:

yeah, otherwise you will just risk fucking up your sprocket and driver and shit way more often.

cool thanks :3 not as difficult as i though hubs were

|

ı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨

8/16/2013 1:58 PM

It's obvious what hubs are oriented at certain terrains though, like G-Sports are street not dirt and Profiles are the opposite. The beefier the peggier.

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.
I got refs