whats a good stem geo?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/20/2014 7:33 PM

im looking at getting a new stem cuz im just not liking the feel of the one i have now. i have a odyssey SXTN stem but its angled so far back that my bars are leaning forward quite a bit.i want to go to a front load stem. i tired riding my friends bike with a front load and i could hold manuals so much longer. im looking at the odyssey elementary stem but i wanna hear some feed back on it. i dont wanna get it and have it be slipping all the time. i had the chase hawk stem and thats what would happen it pissed me off. if not any recommendations would be good.

|

4/20/2014 7:36 PM

So you basically don't like your stem because its too far forward? Then move your bars back

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

4/20/2014 7:55 PM

I hear the animal jump off remix stem is a good front load stem

|

4/20/2014 8:03 PM

well i dont like it because the angle it sits at a very high point and it makes it to where the bars are too far back and my knees bump. so i have to put them forward and i feel like it=f i try to jump a high stair set or off a ledge they could slip and i would fall forward. the front loads seem alot better for 360's and manuals.

|

4/20/2014 8:18 PM

Only frontload I've ever rode was a colony official .... It was sweet

|

4/20/2014 8:46 PM

So the stem's reach is too short?

|

4/20/2014 8:53 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

i guess i dont really know too much about the reach or what it does. like if a longer reach helps a certain style of riding or not.

|

4/20/2014 9:43 PM

I was riding the cult salvation and i traded that stem for my friends ody sexton and i have to agree with you. my bars are way more forward than what they usually were. I am used to it now but maybe you will like the cult. I know the sexton is 48mm reach and the cult is 52mm

|

4/20/2014 9:44 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

enemy0fstate wrote:

i guess i dont really know too much about the reach or what it does. like if a longer reach helps a certain style of riding or ...more

You want a longer reach stem. Aim for 52+ mm.

|

4/20/2014 10:00 PM

bikect wrote:

I was riding the cult salvation and i traded that stem for my friends ody sexton and i have to agree with you. my bars are way ...more

im aiming more towards a front load stem

|

4/20/2014 10:02 PM

enemy0fstate wrote:

Cult Mind Control is front load & 52mm

I just got mine Saturday, & like it so far. I've rode a 51mm stem before this, so not much difference there but the stem feels solid at least.

|

4/21/2014 6:54 AM

get a s&m redneck xlt. i havent touched the bolts on mine for about 6 months. never slips

|

4/21/2014 7:08 AM

Sounds like you need a longer frame.

Getting a further reach stem wont change much unless you get something crazy like a 60mm+ which isnt really ideal for freestyle bmx other than maybe trails riding.

It being topload also isnt your problem, that doesn't make the bars sit any further back, if anything it holds them HIGHER and more out of the way of your knees.

Your friends bike probably has completely different geometry on it which is why you like it more, it probably has very little or nothing to do with his stem.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

4/21/2014 7:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2014 7:18 AM

I hate front load but i did like the animal jump off stem, that is front load

|

4/21/2014 7:18 AM

Also, the Elementary has the rise of a lower topload, so if youre aiming for a frontload you may want to look elsewhere.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

4/21/2014 7:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2014 7:35 AM

Couple things you could do to remedy your issue (and I'm suggesting these without knowing your full set up).

Spacers. Remove one or two and see how that feels. 1st cheap way to solve your problem.

2nd - Invert your stem. This will give you a drop of 1.5mm with the SXTN.

If none of that appeals to you, my opinion on the Elementary stem is that I don't have one. I've only had cheap stock stems that have never given me problems. But if I had to get a new stem right now and was looking a FL, I'd get the Subrosa Forever. It's only $40 right now at Dan's.

|

4/21/2014 11:00 AM

bikect wrote:

I was riding the cult salvation and i traded that stem for my friends ody sexton and i have to agree with you. my bars are way ...more

enemy0fstate wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Cult Mind Control is front load & 52mm

I just got mine Saturday, & like it so far. I've rode a 51mm stem before this, ...more

That

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

4/21/2014 11:01 AM

Fondue wrote:

Couple things you could do to remedy your issue (and I'm suggesting these without knowing your full set up).

Spacers. Remove ...more

i might try inverting it. but i really want to go back to a front load stem.

|

4/21/2014 11:05 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Sounds like you need a longer frame.

Getting a further reach stem wont change much unless you get something crazy like a ...more

my frame is fine. i ride a sunday 2nd wave 20.75 TT on odyssey 41 thermal dirt forks. its the stem. my friends bike is a sunday (idk which frame) 20.75 TT and it felt a lot better with a front load.

|

4/21/2014 1:32 PM

ive been looking around and im really liking the odsy TDFL stem or the cult mind control. the difference between the two is very minuscule but ill probably check them out in person before i buy.

|