whats the difference between female and male hubs

Related:
Create New Tag

2/1/2016 2:39 PM

???

|

2/1/2016 3:06 PM

Male hubs have a male axle, meaning it goes through the hub and dropouts and is tightened with a nut. Female axles stop at the bushes and have an internal thread. A bolt goes between the dropouts, into the axle, to hold it in place.

14mm male axles are stronger than 10mm male
Hollow 14mm male axles are less likely to bend, but more likely to snap.
Female chromoly axles are stronger than either.
Female alloy axles aren't intended for peg use. (all female are generally 10mm or 3/8ths)

|

2/1/2016 4:10 PM

Male axle hubs use an axle that goes all the way through the hub and are tightened to the dropouts using nuts

Photo

Female axles use a center axle that goes in the center of the hub and uses 2 bolts that thread into the hub to tighten to the dropouts

[LINK TO IMAGE]

A lot of people will say no matter what, female axles are always stronger than male axles but this is untrue.

3/8" male axles are the weakest
3/8" female axles (Both true female & shemale) are stronger than 3/8" male
14mm male axles are stronger than both 3/8" male & 3/8" female
14mm female axles are the strongest of all

That doesn't necessarily make 3/8" male axles complete shit though. They will hold up to average riding, and if you don't grind A LOT, they will last you quite a long time.

And I stand by my statement that 14mm male axles are definitely stronger than 3/8" female axles because I've bent 2 female bolts on my FRONT hubs, and have yet to bend or snap my rear 14mm male axle which is older and takes more abuse than my front hubs.

|

2/25/2021 11:19 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Male axle hubs use an axle that goes all the way through the hub and are tightened to the dropouts using nuts

Photo

Female axles ...more

I run 14mm In the rear and 3/8 in the front with peg bosses s&m ditchforks there 21 yrs old and still get er done and nvr broke an axel I think that's the best way to go

|

2/25/2021 11:38 PM

ralph troper wrote:

I run 14mm In the rear and 3/8 in the front with peg bosses s&m ditchforks there 21 yrs old and still get er done and nvr ...more

Thank you Ralph for digging up a 5 year old thread just to tell me this information

|

2/26/2021 1:23 AM

Male in the rear, female in front. Imo best setup.

|

2/26/2021 2:26 AM

Hiro wrote:

Personally, I'm down with 2 females, but whatever floats your boat.

|

2/26/2021 2:30 AM

Hiro wrote:

oldstreetthrasher wrote:

If you run 4 pegs, rear male is imo just simpler, more durable, easier in general, but femalenis easier to replace if stripped.

|

2/26/2021 4:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2021 4:02 AM

At least we know who the cuck is

|

2/26/2021 5:02 AM

BlangBMX wrote:

???

Your parents should have had this talk with you.

|

2/26/2021 5:21 AM

never done hanky panky i see

|

2/26/2021 11:40 AM

Did you just assume...

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

2/26/2021 12:37 PM

Hiro wrote:

oldstreetthrasher wrote:

Hiro wrote:

If you run 4 pegs, rear male is imo just simpler, more durable, easier in general, but femalenis easier to replace if ...more

Whooooosh... That was so fast, did anybody else see that ?

|

2/26/2021 12:41 PM

oldstreetthrasher wrote:

Hiro wrote:

If you run 4 pegs, rear male is imo just simpler, more durable, easier in general, but femalenis easier to replace if ...more

Cellmember wrote:

Male in the back and a stripped female in front :O

|

2/26/2021 12:44 PM

Hiro wrote:

Cellmember wrote:

Hiro wrote:

I'm with oldstreet on this.

|

2/26/2021 12:48 PM

Cellmember wrote:

Hiro wrote:

Cellmember wrote:

I'm with oldstreet on this.

I had a female in the back and broke it 2 times, also some hubs have like 3 types of axles for no pegs 2 pegs or 4 pegs.

|

2/26/2021 12:52 PM

Hiro wrote:

14mm female is stronger than 14mm male and you can run your back end slammed and not need to break the chain every time you get a flat

|

2/26/2021 1:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2021 1:01 PM

oldstreetthrasher wrote:

Hiro wrote:

HtownGetDown wrote:

14mm female is stronger than 14mm male and you can run your back end slammed and not need to break the chain every time you ...more

I don't know about the strength side since I haven't broken a male axle, but I have 2 female. I get your point about the flat, but that's depends on the frame.

|

2/26/2021 1:18 PM

Hiro wrote:

I don't know about the strength side since I haven't broken a male axle, but I have 2 female. I get your point about the flat, ...more

Snapping a female bolt is user error 98.7% of the time. It's caused from being over torqued, the same reason you end up with stripped nuts and bolts. When a bolt is over torqued, it's stretched past its elastic limits and that severely weakens its load capacity.

And that does not depend on the frame at all. Slammed means slammed, no matter what the rear end length is. A slammed rear wheel with decent chain tension always needs the chain broken when running a male axle, otherwise it is not slammed.

|

2/26/2021 2:37 PM

HtownGetDown wrote:

14mm female is stronger than 14mm male and you can run your back end slammed and not need to break the chain every time you ...more

Hiro wrote:

I don't know about the strength side since I haven't broken a male axle, but I have 2 female. I get your point about the flat, ...more

HtownGetDown wrote:

Snapping a female bolt is user error 98.7% of the time. It's caused from being over torqued, the same reason you end up with ...more

I run a halflink, as slammed as I can, it's the smallest I can go and still have a mm to get my chain off my sprocket without breaking it.

|

2/26/2021 5:26 PM

The difference is i’d never spend $300 on a nice dinner to see whats under the hood of a male hub

|

13 years old

2/26/2021 5:30 PM

Krooked wrote:

The difference is i’d never spend $300 on a nice dinner to see whats under the hood of a male hub

I'll give you 300 pesos for what's under your hood

|

2/26/2021 8:06 PM

Krooked wrote:

I can't imagine you ever spending $300 on a dinner for anything, I'd be surprised if you bought them McDonald's

|

2/27/2021 9:11 AM

BlangBMX wrote:

???

One has balls, the other one has babies. 💁‍♂️

|

2/27/2021 11:05 AM

Animal javelin hub only comes in male

|

2/27/2021 11:40 PM

Hiro wrote:

Animal javelin hub only comes in male

The internals of proper hubs are the same, so you can use the internals of a proper female hub

|

2/28/2021 10:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/28/2021 10:15 AM

female hubs will use less material (weight) to achieve the same strength as a male axle. i learned this in physics class. i also find that female hubs with threadless collars dont have problems slipping crooked in th rear drop outs

"Female alloy axles aren't intended for peg use. (all female are generally 10mm or 3/8ths)"
ive been running pegs on my 20mm thick ratchet hub for 5 years
then i ran pegs on my 17mm thick antigram hub for 5 years.
Im not a beast on pegs but i still ride and do grinds

|

wallride a bus everyday