wheel building problem

Related:
Create New Tag

10/17/2014 2:54 PM

im building a primo n4fl v2 3x cross and i cant seem to rotate the wheel when im done doing the both of the nine on each side

|

10/17/2014 3:18 PM

They're tricky, I laced one before & ran into that same problem.

There's a way to get them all to stay facing the right way so you can rotate it easier, but I found it a lot easier to do all 18 spokes in one side, then do the rest of the 18 on the other side. It was much easier since the spokes didn't move around

That's just how I did it though cause I got tired of trying to make all the spokes turn the right way. I only ever laced one though but that's how I made it work.

|

10/17/2014 3:45 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

They're tricky, I laced one before & ran into that same problem.

There's a way to get them all to stay facing the right ...more

so could i just use another wheel thats the same 3x pattern and just copy it on each side or would that mess with tension or something

|

10/17/2014 4:04 PM

Silentman_Man wrote:

so could i just use another wheel thats the same 3x pattern and just copy it on each side or would that mess with tension or ...more

essentially, yes.

But what I did was did all of one side, then the other side.

So do your 9 spokes on let's say the left side, then instead of putting 9 spokes in on the right side, just continue putting the rest of the 9 on the left side. It's easier to do than it sounds. Just turn the hub so the spokes are facing the way they should, then put the 10th spoke in and angle it the opposite way the others are going, and go across 1 spoke, 2 spoke, then when you get the 3rd spoke, go under that spoke, and then into the correct nipple hole, then do this all the way around.

Does that make sense?

|

10/17/2014 4:26 PM

okay that helps a lot as i dont even have that i was gonna use as example so thanks a lot man7

|

10/17/2014 4:31 PM

Silentman_Man wrote:

okay that helps a lot as i dont even have that i was gonna use as example so thanks a lot man7

yeah no problem if you need any more help just post photos of how far along you are, and tell me where you got stuck.

|

10/17/2014 5:07 PM

You're trying to lace a flangeless hub 3 cross. That's your first problem

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

10/17/2014 5:43 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

yeah no problem if you need any more help just post photos of how far along you are, and tell me where you got stuck.

i just got home and started again does it matter where i put the tenth spoke?

|

10/17/2014 5:55 PM

tomdon wrote:

They are 3x, they are called 4x because there is a fourth cross that is normally hidden by the flange. Its the same pattern.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

10/17/2014 5:57 PM

Silentman_Man wrote:

i just got home and started again does it matter where i put the tenth spoke?

It doesn't matter where you start for that, as long as you go to the correct side's nipple hole.

When you start on the other side of the hub though, it will matter where you start the first 9 though.

|

10/17/2014 6:03 PM

tomdon wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

They are 3x, they are called 4x because there is a fourth cross that is normally hidden by the flange. Its the same pattern.

It's 4x not 3. They lace the same as an eject and I built a few of those. Each spoke crosses 4 others. That's 3x not 4

|

10/17/2014 6:06 PM

tomdon wrote:

It's 4x not 3. They lace the same as an eject and I built a few of those. Each spoke crosses 4 others. That's 3x not 4

A flanged hub crosses 4 times aswell. The fourth cross is hidden by the flange.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

10/17/2014 6:11 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

tomdon wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

A flanged hub crosses 4 times aswell. The fourth cross is hidden by the flange.

Only if laced 4 cross. when laced 3 cross they never cross a 4th time

|

10/17/2014 10:38 PM

tomdon wrote:

Only if laced 4 cross. when laced 3 cross they never cross a 4th time

This cross becomes visible when you take the flange away. You lace a flangeless hub the exact same way you lace a flanged hub 3x and there is no other way to do it otherwise the spoke heads wont sit flush in the hubshell. If you were to lace a flangeless hub 4x, the spoke heads would sit at an angle and there would be five crosses. Yes, most websites say flangeless hubs/wheels are 4x, but that is only because they are including the extra cross that you dont see on flanged hubs/wheels.

|

10/17/2014 10:38 PM

Photo

|

10/17/2014 10:46 PM

I'm actually really confused. My wheels are both laced 3 cross, and I can see in my wheel where you mean the flange hides the cross, but just because it hides the cross, doesn't mean it isn't there, so it's still a cross, and still 3 cross.

using photos off Google, you can clearly see 4 crosses in this 4x flangeless hub

Photo

4 crosses in this 4x flanged hub

[LINK TO IMAGE]

and 3 crosses in this 3x flanged hub

[LINK TO IMAGE]

So there's that, and you can still clearly see each cross so idk what you're trying to say haha

|

10/17/2014 11:01 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I'm actually really confused. My wheels are both laced 3 cross, and I can see in my wheel where you mean the flange hides the ...more

What the hell. I was comparing my wheel to.a friends wheel a bit back and saw that they both had the same pattern but one of his crosses were hidden by the spokes. Now that you challenged what i said i.look at my Vandero wheel and see it only has two crosses after the flange aswell. Everything ive believed in has been a lie.

Guess my friends wheel was 4x..

|

10/17/2014 11:05 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I'm actually really confused. My wheels are both laced 3 cross, and I can see in my wheel where you mean the flange hides the ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

What the hell. I was comparing my wheel to.a friends wheel a bit back and saw that they both had the same pattern but one of ...more

Thank god sunday found pictures lol. That's what I was trying to explain but as usual probably sounded like a conceited know it all asshole.

|

10/17/2014 11:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2014 11:10 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

What the hell. I was comparing my wheel to.a friends wheel a bit back and saw that they both had the same pattern but one of ...more

tomdon wrote:

Thank god sunday found pictures lol. That's what I was trying to explain but as usual probably sounded like a conceited know ...more

Fucking prick dont come at me with this shit ill fuck you up. Conceited* Asshole.

|

10/18/2014 6:37 AM

Tape?

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit