when you get injured

Related:
Create New Tag

5/15/2014 8:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/15/2014 8:21 PM

I took a big slam street riding doing a hop over a rail and clipped my back wheel on the way up at speed. I was sliding on my face before I could even get my hands up. anyway. got a black eye with 5 stitches and messed up ribs and bunches of scabs. Of course everybody goes "what happened what happened" and most people, when you tell them it was BMX, say "what that's stupid" one person actually went "oh..." like "oh, now I don't care" and my family wants me to quit riding so bad. I found the new Dans catalog in the trash LOL. they didn't let me see it. its jacked up. if I had said a fight or bull riding I would have got props.

|

5/15/2014 8:21 PM

Dam I love when that happens.
I broke two ribs because I didnt tighten my bolts once hahah
went to hop over a rail at speed and the stem just came off the forks and i was launched at the rail.
But yeah people always take it as oh a bike crash, you must suck ass, Or oh it couldnt have been that bad hahah. It's so shit

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

5/15/2014 8:54 PM

Of all things, I hate face and head injuries the most, and my parents would flip, that's why I occasionally wear a helmet. But then wearing a helmet just feels so weird and somehow throws off my riding. Especially with things that include you landing and working with the rear like fakie manuals or big 180's or just fast ones in general, including manual 180's and full cab's. I hit my head for the second time and I'm always paranoid about it.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

5/15/2014 9:05 PM

My parents accept injuries as a part of life. They do want me to be careful, and i am, but that doesn't mean i can't huck myself of some steps! The only time i actually broke a bone my mom was like " oh cool, you're in the club now! Let's go to the hospital." Totally chill.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

5/15/2014 9:07 PM

Oh i just remembered, a couple weeks ago i kept tearing up my leg from pedal bite and my dad told i wasn't allowed to get pedal bite anymore. He was being totally serious. I told him i'd try hahahaha.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

5/15/2014 9:15 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

My parents accept injuries as a part of life. They do want me to be careful, and i am, but that doesn't mean i can't huck ...more

My family would ban me from BMX and anything else dangerous. It freakin sucks. They always use the excuse that my mom gave birth to me with no problems and I'll end up hurting myself and causing problems. Shit like that.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

5/16/2014 12:47 AM

Fuck it man. do what makes u happy, just try to be super careful and make Damn sure you are going to clear whatever you are going to clear b4 u do it. It's your life tho not ur parents, just be respectful to them about it and be safe.

|

5/16/2014 12:51 AM

Also to hell with what ppl think. Bmx is hxc lol idt the people telling you its lame that u wrecked on a bmx even know how hard it can be for them to even hop a curb.

|

5/16/2014 8:22 AM

Helmet.

Honestly if you need to a rock a full face, do it.

If your parents give you crap, explain to them that football etc (which they likely would be more okay with) could cause a LOT more head injuries due to literally running into people to stop them.

Injuries are a part of life, and they need to accept they cannot protect you 100% of the time.

Just show them how much you love BMX, and how it is a part of your lifestyle, and by them forcibly removing it, you will be upset, depressed, and start having issues with them, possibly resenting them over time, PLUS you will get less exercise, which as we all know is not healthy. Boredom will set in, and it could result in experimentation of drugs etc.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/17/2014 1:36 AM

im in my late 20s now and have found the best way to progress is to not crash

|

wallride a bus everyday

5/17/2014 1:37 AM

lasttime i crashed i did a big wallride transfer thing, super big, rode out victoriously then my front tire slipped out on a rock and i ate shit really hard

|

wallride a bus everyday

5/17/2014 1:40 AM

last time i cased a hop over my back tires\ miraculously just rolled over it
also last time i decided to hop over a chain, it was cuase it was like 6 inches high and no possibility of fucking up. i choked and barely managed a 7in hop

|

wallride a bus everyday

5/17/2014 7:58 AM

Just wait until your an adult and you tell people you're hurt from riding BMX. The condescending remarks and looks are ridiculous.

I crashed Hard on the opening day of Daniel dhers new place and tore all of the ligaments in my shoulder and have been out of work for 2 weeks now after having surgery. I'm getting it from all angles now to quit riding. Wife, family, non riding friends, work, everyone is talking shit about how it's time to grow up and stop riding. Not gonna happen...

|

BMX riding Cop... Let that sink in for a minute.

5/17/2014 2:02 PM

My dad told me one more injury and he's cutting my frame into many small pieces. I'm pretty sure he is bluffing about that but one more injury would be my last riding injury for sure. My dad doesn't like BMX.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

5/17/2014 3:06 PM

Just even everyday riding too. I do some back peg - ledge ride and my front peg caught the ledge and I faceplanted. Or I slip off a pedal doing a flyout 180 , or jumping stairsets and getting your ankle bruised up from hitting the cranks.

It's just part of riding , going big or not. Of course the fear factor and pain varies on the setup but theortically you go through it anyways.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/17/2014 5:01 PM

If your parents want you to quit leave your bike at a friends house, remember to tell your parents you quit, then pretend like you quit. Then start to get into something your parents consider worse like grafitti or cow tipping or something stupid like that or start hanging around with sketchy looking people. If you do it right and scare your parents enough they will be happy that you picked back up your bike again. It worked for me i chose to pretend to take up free running and if you see me you would know that im on the bigger side and lack coordination so me free running would be a terrible idea. One day i came home with roadrash on my face and told my parents i got it from trying to jump off a roof ( i really got the roadrash from riding bmx lol) and later that night my dad starts asking why i stopped riding bmx and that he thought it was cooler than free running. At that moment i knew that my plan had worked. A few days later i brought my bike back home and made some bs excuse to explan why i got it back, and now when i hurt myself my parents dont say boo.

|

5/17/2014 10:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/17/2014 10:33 PM

face injuries suck man. hope they heal soon! had to get stitches on my face from a big face plant once and i had a pretty shitty time.

"normal" people's reaction to a bike related injuries will always be "you fell off your bike? did you get hit by a car? oh no? you must be an uncoordinated idiot" and it gets even worse when you're older. that's just how it is, most people don't understand extreme sports and they'll always think you're stupid for doing what you do. they'll be even more surprised when they see you back on your bike again because they think "he crashed once and he didn't quit. mind = blown"
and i really envy people with parents who support their hobby. my parents tried to stop me from riding when they saw me limping because i rode too hard after a long break and my leg was sore -_-

|

You're never too old to have fun.

Bike
Summer riding