why are chrome rims better for brakes

Related:
Create New Tag

3/29/2014 7:47 PM

is there a "real" reason for this? and "how much better" does it work compared to hard ano rims, will i feel the difference?

|

3/29/2014 8:06 PM

Magic

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

3/29/2014 8:11 PM

No paint on the rim to catch the brake pads on, would be my guess.

Chrome rims are not painted/anodized so it's just the bare chrome making contact with the pads & nothing to slip on.
Polished/raw rims I would assume work just as well. Friend of mine has polished rims & they brake very well.

|

3/29/2014 8:16 PM

Science

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

3/29/2014 8:18 PM

Because God wants them to.

|

3/29/2014 8:40 PM

They're ballin that's why .....most people use salt while dave chapelle uses diamonds, same principle

|

3/29/2014 8:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/29/2014 8:52 PM

^^
Photo

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

3/29/2014 9:05 PM

The chrome has magical qualities from being recycled by Leprauchauns due to only wanting gold.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/29/2014 10:23 PM

Its because chrome spelled backward is emorhc

Exceptionally
More
Orientated to
Rotational
Halting
Circumstances

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

3/30/2014 7:44 AM

Chromium is a much softer metal than aluminum, so there will be ALOT more friction inbetween the pad and the chrome plating. I personally use a rim with raw sidewalls and its made from 7000 series aluminum and it really sucks. Pads just dont grip it at all.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/30/2014 7:58 AM

Because they're chromagical.

|

3/30/2014 8:07 AM

Fondue wrote:

Because they're chromagical.

this lol

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

3/30/2014 8:46 AM

handlebar-to-face wrote:

Exceptionally
More
Orientated to
Rotational
Halting
Circumstances

This.

But in all seriousness, it is because chrome is less likely to be contaminated but a little dust, plus it offers a better surface for gripping.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/30/2014 9:01 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Chromium is a much softer metal than aluminum, so there will be ALOT more friction inbetween the pad and the chrome plating. I ...more

Actually, Chromium is about 10x harder than 7000 series Aluminium.

|

3/30/2014 9:09 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Chromium is a much softer metal than aluminum, so there will be ALOT more friction inbetween the pad and the chrome plating. I ...more

BMX_Forever wrote:

Its more rigid then? I dont have my facts straight, its something along those lines. Has to do with molecular structure and friction. All I know is my chrome rim was like a piece of tape and my 7003 rim is like a stick of butter. My old 6061 rim even gripped really well.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/30/2014 9:13 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

BMX_Forever wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Its more rigid then? I dont have my facts straight, its something along those lines. Has to do with molecular structure and ...more

Probably more to do with how smooth the surface is (Which the material plays a huge part in). I'm not really sure haha.

|

3/30/2014 1:42 PM

handlebar-to-face wrote:

Exceptionally
More
Orientated to
Rotational
Halting
Circumstances

lol

|

3/30/2014 1:45 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Chrome rims are not painted/anodized so it's just the bare ...more

and thanks for the "legit" answer

|

3/30/2014 1:52 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Chrome rims are not painted/anodized so it's just the bare ...more

my_bike_is_rust wrote:

and thanks for the "legit" answer

What, magic isn't legit? Screw you, pal!!!

|