why do people get smaller tires in the back than the front?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/31/2016 7:13 PM

I want 2.4 tires on both front and back but is that a smart idea?

|

1/31/2016 7:18 PM

it can change how your bike handles to a small degree. dont know of many pro riders doing 2.4's front and rear Dugan is doing 2.4/2.3 right now and thats the biggest combo im aware of.

honestly tire size isnt super important really. skinny tires are faster wider have more cushion for impact. so if you like to go high and you hand hard get bigger tires and keep your psi around 80ish. what style riding do you like? thats a big question when buying new tires....

do you even need new tires?

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

1/31/2016 7:21 PM

Its easier to fakie with a larger tire on the front.

|

Refs: Josh_Ketcham, mykneeshurt (x2), Brian_Griffin, aaron.samuel.green

1/31/2016 7:41 PM

Fakie sucks with a smaller tire in the front , less stable

|

1/31/2016 10:30 PM

It's more for racing or trails, skinny tyre on the back to save weight/less rolling resistance, wider tyre on the front for better grip in corners.
I personally don't like wide tyres, I've got a fit faf 2.1 on the rear and s&m mainline 2.1 on the front. The mainline is a fair bit wider than the faf

|

1/31/2016 10:59 PM

Back in the days I was riding a 2.25" front and 2.1" in the back, then, I started running 2.3" front and back, a bit weird at first but I finally liked better the bigger tyre at rear.
But one day I had buy a 2.4" to try the 2.4"/2.3" combo, but my (old) fork didn't fit it so I had stock the tyre for a while.
Now I have fork and frame to run 2.4" front and back If I want, so that´s what I did and I love big tyres, they make my bike feel more stable.
So the conclusion is than I will never downsize my 2.4" at the front, I love it too much, for the back something between 2.25" and 2.4" do the job, I think I prefer a 2.4" but the difference is small, it´s all about feeling....
About your initial question, a thinner tyre at the rear makes the bike faster.
Just never run a bigger on the rear, it feel fucking weird aha !

|

2/1/2016 3:14 AM

Watch for tire clearance on chain stay
My older frame was 20x2.25 max
Anything bigger rubbed chain stay

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

2/1/2016 5:24 AM

Brian_Griffin wrote:

Watch for tire clearance on chain stay
My older frame was 20x2.25 max
Anything bigger rubbed chain stay

Nearly all actual frames can fit 2.4"
But I remember my 2010 wtp complete couldn't fit anything over 2.3"
Also I had never read anything about tyre clearance directly on chainstays.

|

2/1/2016 5:54 AM

Bigger tire on the back makes for easier turning manuals as well. I'm running 2.1 rear and 2.3 front. Light and minimal rolling resistance. Bigger front hurts my foot less when doing foot jams as well.

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

2/1/2016 7:00 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

It's more for racing or trails, skinny tyre on the back to save weight/less rolling resistance, wider tyre on the front for ...more

This is true and is the reply to go by.

Generally, you want more grip in the front, because, hey, the bike needs to go where you point it...

For the rear, you can sacrifice a bit more, as you don't really want that much grip, but less rolling resistance...

Ive got a 2.4 in the front and a 2.3 in the rear...

I like big tires because I run really low-ass pressures, and I love the cushion on em...

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

2/1/2016 7:31 AM

im still pissed maxxiss doesn't offer white walls on their 20" line

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/1/2016 7:46 AM

I've heard that having a smaller width tire in the rear helps with locking into crooked grinds and makes spinning out of grinds easier... not really sure if its true.

I've always run 2.35 tires with medium tire pressure and never had any issues, my friends call my tires marshmallows lol

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

2/1/2016 7:51 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

It's more for racing or trails, skinny tyre on the back to save weight/less rolling resistance, wider tyre on the front for ...more

Skylight wrote:

This is true and is the reply to go by.

Generally, you want more grip in the front, because, hey, the bike needs to go where ...more

Yeap, if the back tyre slip, you still can re grip and keep rolling but if the front tyre slip... you'll eat shit.

|

2/1/2016 11:36 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

My 2.3 WLT's are inflated to smaller than my 2.2 Momentums.

I like the space for my front brake cable though.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/1/2016 12:19 PM

2.4 Hawks front and rear and Loving them!!

|

2/1/2016 12:30 PM

Francky wrote:

Nearly all actual frames can fit 2.4"
But I remember my 2010 wtp complete couldn't fit anything over 2.3"
Also I had never ...more

My Lacey was around a 2.35 max frame.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/1/2016 1:24 PM

I had a pair of fit faf 2.3 (ish?), felt like I was riding on balloons. I've never been a fan of wide tyres. 2.10 is the widest I've ever had and liked. I used to love a 1.95 primo dirt monster on the front. Those tyres ruled!
I had a pair of khe mac2's which I liked, but ripped a hole in one and lost all confidence in them. True story

|

2/1/2016 1:50 PM

1.95 front and rear 110 psi is the way to go , so much quicker

|

2/1/2016 3:31 PM

eskimojay wrote:

1.95 front and rear 110 psi is the way to go , so much quicker

1.95 animal asm + 2.1 glh was the ultimate combo
RIP normal sized tires

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

2/1/2016 3:54 PM

It's getting hard to find 1.95 , I don't think I'll ever go past 2.1 feels to slow and sluggish

|

2/1/2016 3:59 PM

eskimojay wrote:

It's getting hard to find 1.95 , I don't think I'll ever go past 2.1 feels to slow and sluggish

i was forced to get a 2.25 glh because i had to have the maroon sidewall. every time i get on my bike it feels like i have a flat it's so slow.

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

2/2/2016 6:09 PM

It's all about personal preference, rotational weight, riding style, tire pressure and did I mention personal preference?

|

2/2/2016 6:18 PM

bmxer_yoshi wrote:

I've heard that having a smaller width tire in the rear helps with locking into crooked grinds and makes spinning out of ...more

yep larger tires also drag sidewalls when grinding slowing u down. I run ody hawks 2.2 but they're realistically 2.1 front and back

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

2/2/2016 8:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/2/2016 8:27 PM

Depends on what you need to be doing.

I ran 2.1 front and rear for a bit, not terrible but feels twitchy and more turn-y sort of.

And now I'm back on 2.3 rear 2.4 front. Its way more comfortable for foot jams and better for stuff like manual 180s and stuff.

I really think I prefer either at this point. I can enjoy either one, but 2.3/2.4 feels right right now.

2.1 and stuff also feels lighter since tires are smaller there is less rubber. I actually think you grip better and stuff with them which may be weird to say.

To answer your question, it's because people couldn't run bigger tires with brakes for a long time. And now it's usually because their frame either has terrible clearance or they can't properly true a wheel..

Although some people prefer that feel of tire. If you have a 1.95 rear and a 2.4 front or something it actually makes the front end of the bike less "turn-y". Like you have a more slack head tube almost! So trailsy people will dig that since the bigger tire will also offer more of a smooth landing and the bigger tire has more cushion.

For me I would ride just two 2.25 aitkens but I don't need to buy those yet.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

2/3/2016 12:29 AM

I'll never run a 2.4 in the back of any tire because it rubs like fuck and ruins sessions . As well , 2.4 tires drag on grinds more , and if it's an aggressive 2.4 tire , it just makes grinds feel horrible .

I actually traded my 2.4 rear tire for a 2.25 tire , so much more clearance and less drag , plus if you pump it up it feels just as good as 2.4 .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short