worn cassette or crappy chain?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/12/2015 6:43 AM

I just put my new frame etc. together pretty much all new parts except the rear wheel. I put a new KMC full link chain on...cheap to get me going for the day. The rear wheel I'm using is a v3 odyssey hub laced to odyssey aerospace rim (USED). I know the chain may take a bit to wear in but the whole day it just seemed off. The cassette never slipped or anything just sounded bad compared to my old bike. Is it the chain or do cassettes wear out? I'm debating on buying a nice half link to see if that makes a difference since that's cheaper than a new rear wheel. Any thoughts? Just hate riding something that feels like crap with all those new parts together!

|

1/12/2015 6:57 AM

New chain + old cassette = noises etc until the new chain breaks in. Chains and Cassettes (and SPROCKETS) wear with each other somewhat, so replacing one of them may cause some noises.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/12/2015 7:08 AM

I was really hoping it was just the chain...I didn't notice any slips just sounded WAY different than my old bike. I'm going to try a new half link and keep the current one as a spare.

|

1/12/2015 7:46 AM

troyw wrote:

I was really hoping it was just the chain...I didn't notice any slips just sounded WAY different than my old bike. I'm going to try a new half link and keep the current one as a spare.

Dont go halflink. That will be even worse and then you will end up needing to replace your sprocket and driver anyhow when it eats the teeth off of them. Atleast thats what happened to me. Post pics of your sprocket and driver, most likely you just need to let the new chain wear in.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/12/2015 7:56 AM

It took like 4 months for my 710 to wear into the groove my amber 700,kmc 510 & odyssey full link had made. I know people who can't align chains for shit and have beat to fuck sprockets have better luck with half links, but the people who are the knowledgeable ones and don't take trendy faggots word for it mostly run full links, atleast thats what i see around here, i almost went half link but there's no need since i lube my chain and can still slam with a single halflink in my full.

|

"It's like riding someone's bike and they got the same frame" -Four
Refs:Four x4,tomdon x5,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

1/12/2015 8:03 AM

I ran a shadow half link on my old bike and it felt so much smoother right out of the box but I guess the full link needs to settle in maybe. The sprocket is brand new and the driver is in good shape (visually). The full link did get marginally better throughout the day but not much. I didn't realize half link chains were so bad but I did just start riding so I'm sure I have lots to learn. I appreciate the help guys.

|

1/12/2015 8:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2015 8:09 AM

troyw wrote:

I ran a shadow half link on my old bike and it felt so much smoother right out of the box but I guess the full link needs to settle in maybe. The sprocket is brand new and the driver is in good shape (visually). The full link did get marginally better throughout the day but not much. I didn't realize half link chains were so bad but I did just start riding so I'm sure I have lots to learn. I appreciate the help guys.

Half links aren't that Bad per say, some people have really good luck, then others snap 10 a year and still say they're good (i know a few people) But i have yet to be let down by a full link and most people i know who maintain their bikes properly don't have issues either, half links do wear different on sprockets though.

|

"It's like riding someone's bike and they got the same frame" -Four
Refs:Four x4,tomdon x5,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

1/12/2015 8:08 AM

troyw wrote:

Make sure your chain alignment is correct. Also, what chain are you running? Some heavy duty full links dont roll on the driver properly and you can feel and hear them rolling around the driver. Ive been running KMC 410Hs for probably 3 years now and they do it but haven't caused any damage so i dont bother with it. The noise/feeling doesn't bother me anymore.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

1/12/2015 8:20 AM

I believe it is the 410 chain because it was really cheap. I probably should have gone with the odyssey full link they had but lesson learned I suppose.

|

1/12/2015 8:24 AM

troyw wrote:

I believe it is the 410 chain because it was really cheap. I probably should have gone with the odyssey full link they had but lesson learned I suppose.

There is a difference between the 410 and 410H, 410H uses heavy duty outer AND inner links aswell as bushing rollers. The 410 is just your basic chain.

|

1/12/2015 8:29 AM

It was less than $10 so I'm sure its the basic one. I'll check the alignment tonight and see if that could possibly be the culprit.

|

1/12/2015 8:35 AM

troyw wrote:

It was less than $10 so I'm sure its the basic one. I'll check the alignment tonight and see if that could possibly be the culprit.

Theyre both the same price. But yes make sure you dont have any additional spacers between your sprocket and bb cone. Also, dont run your chain extremely tight, give it a little wiggle room at the least. Also check your driver bearings, they could be the problem aswell. Diagnosing problems sucks man! Downside of working on bikes.

|

1/12/2015 8:38 AM

All chains wear a little over time, and the driver and front sprocket will wear at the same rate so continue to feel smooth. With road and mountainbikes, most shops will recommend that you replace all the sprockets and the chain at the same time, or they will measure the chain "stretch" and if the chain isnt too bad you may get away with just changing the chain.
Traditionally, with a normal BMX chain, wear isnt such an issue because the chains are heavier duty and we dont do the same kind of miles, so a new chain is usually OK. However, half link chains dont just wear, they actually stretch, the bent plates try to straighten and they try to align each end with the direction of the chain tension so they become slightly diagonal over time and this too results in chain stretch. As the chain stretches the sprocket and driver will wear much much faster than normal as otherwise the chain cant distribute the stress over multiple teeth, and instead it all falls on just one or two (hence faster wear).

Ideally get a shop to check the "stretch" on your old chain and see if it is within the normal range, IF you are coming from a half link chain I would bet that it will be well outside this range, and you would be better off looking at a new driver and sprocket rather than putting more money into chains.

I hope this makes sense and is helpful.

smile
G.

|

1/12/2015 8:41 AM

I have a brand new chain and brand new sprocket the only thing used is the driver.....

|

1/12/2015 8:46 AM

But on a more serious note, whens the last time you replaced your grips? They could be causing improper wear.

|