worst parts ever

Related:
Create New Tag

5/1/2021 11:54 AM

I got this idea today after my first session with the cult heavens gate grips, because they fucking suck. I have never in my life seen grips this slippery and thin. So what are some of the worst parts you guys have ever ridden, and would recommend everyone to stay away from?

-btw I know this is not the first thread with this idea, but the most recent one is from 2014 so yea

|

5/1/2021 1:04 PM

Kink Viridian front hub
Primo N4FL front hub
Shadow, well.. pretty much everything.
KHE Reverse free coaster
KHE bar/stem combo
First KHE internal gyro system (just because it's so damn ugly.
S&M Grand Slam fleXLT bars
Odyssey Elementary stem (sorta)
Fit blade forks
Tree Collet Stem
Premium wedge stem
Snafu everything besides the gyro and 13 cranks
Colony frames (I know where these guys make em and the price is a straight up outrage)
Eastern Grim Reaper (most of Eastern really)
Curb rider flow pedals
Spill juice suicide roller pegs
Odyssey Liberty pegs
S&M seat clamp
Sunday seat clamp
1 piece seat and post combos
Premium LoPez frame

And the motherfucking holy grails of garbage, the Eastern Ti Grim Reaper and the Black Eye Killorado frames.

And I know I'm just scratching the surface.. some of these products are so damn trash that I have requested a refund rather than replacement and/or quit even considering a single one of their products ever or ever again.

Black Eye deserves some harsh shiznit for that dumb ass Killorado frame, by far the most shit product in bmx.

|

5/1/2021 2:49 PM

Pr1mo N4FL front hub was horrible. Shit moved like crazy.

The original Eclat Fireball Tires (back when they were Stevies sig) sidewall tore with in a week.

I love Butcher but the Animal Butcher peg sleeve (the original) use to shatter on me.

Currently the Pr1mo Super Tendorizer Plastic pedals are horrible. The pins are almost all gone.

And also the Haro Lineage Grind Disc warped after like 3 sprocket stalls. The guard part of it wears down so fast too.

|

5/1/2021 2:51 PM

makebikingcoolagain wrote:

I got this idea today after my first session with the cult heavens gate grips, because they fucking suck. I have never in my ...more

Do the grips slip on the bar ?

|

5/1/2021 3:02 PM

the worst part i've probably ever had was stranger ballast 2.45 tires in white, got a set off a friend in pretty much brand new condition and wore all the tread down in under 2 months.

|

5/1/2021 3:02 PM

420530666 wrote:

Kink Viridian front hub
Primo N4FL front hub
KHE Reverse free coaster
KHE bar/stem ...more

That's it, thread's over.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

5/1/2021 3:23 PM

Anything UNITED is fucking dog shit

|

Control of my bars helps me feel in control of my life.

5/1/2021 4:14 PM

Cellmember wrote:

Do the grips slip on the bar ?

As in throttle grip? No, but they slip in my hand super bad, like one trick and its as slippery as ice.

|

5/1/2021 4:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/1/2021 4:21 PM

Odyssey hazzard hubs where trash back in the day , had the springs and pawls shit the bed in 3 of them in 6 months years ago

Snafu pedals

Any 8 spline 3 piece cranks

|

5/1/2021 4:33 PM

Going to add onto the Primo N4FL pile.

|

5/1/2021 4:34 PM

Flys Sbs and Ebs system, total dogshit.

|

5/1/2021 6:25 PM

420530666 wrote:

Kink Viridian front hub
Primo N4FL front hub
KHE Reverse free coaster
KHE bar/stem ...more

KHE Reverse was great. One of the best hubs I've had.

Odyssey Elementary was great as long as you knew how to use it.

IGUS plastic bushings are crap.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/1/2021 6:57 PM

-Wombolt V1 cranks, tons of people snapped them and George blamed it on user error
-first version of the Shadow slim seats. Rails popped out of the seat pan just looking them
-first version of MacNeil slim pivotal seats. Noses cracked and snapped off of nearly all of them
-any fork with 25h threaded steerer tubes. Either got crushed by the stem or sheared completely off due to thinness
-2hip Pork. Iconic frame and cool to look at but unnecessary on all fronts and rode like shit according to those crazy enough to purchase one
-any sprocket still made from 6061(my own personal bias as I've never kept a decent chainline with that soft ass aluminum)
-Mutiny Lucky Strike frames. Terrible QC/construction. Rippled top and downtubes, cracked headtubes galore.
-first version of Odyssey 7ka rims. Good thought but just weak overall.
-Odyssey Duralectra rims. Promised better braking on par with chrome but failed miserably to deliver on that. Nearly twice the price of regular black Hazard lites but didn't brake better at all.
-first version of FBM Outsider frames. Triangular downtube gusset cracked on most of them. Got updated pretty quick and the problem was eliminated

Some good lists in this thread so far.

|

5/1/2021 8:38 PM

420530666 wrote:

Kink Viridian front hub
Primo N4FL front hub
KHE Reverse free coaster
KHE bar/stem ...more

Do you mean the Fit Shiv fork? I remember the Blade fork being alright, but the v1 Shiv was so skinny and a lot of people were cracking them.

To add a couple more, and try not being biased on parts I've broke in ways that they really fucking shouldn't have (IE snapping the drive side flange off a Shadow hub, which Shadow then claimed was my fault due to the grind damage on the non-drive side...?)

-Eastern Pro cranks. Those things were notorious for snapping, and Eastern parts in that era were already notorious for snapping
-Eastern Medusa Lite sprockets. Those things broke all the time.
-Any of the Eastern wedge stems. You know what, we'll just say most of Eastern and be done with them.
-Odyssey Hazard v2 & v3 cassette hubs. No idea on the original, but soo many people were blowing those out
-Demolition Anorexia cassette hub. Again, soo many people had issues with the drivers including myself, and I snapped 1 axle and bent another.
-Primo Aneyerlator v1 & v2 stem. v1 used to split down the center on the top of it, v2 would split underneath. Broke mine there too.
-Primo Remix (the original Remix that replaced the Mix, aka the best hub ever). Tiny bearings, and I know of at least 2 people who snapped the hub in half, I have the one in my room somewhere.
-Odyssey Director fork. Nice concept, but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who rode them and didn't crack them.
-Fly v1, v2, and v3 cranks, probably the Dolmens too. Those things practically snapped if you sneezed while just riding down the road.
-Black Ops pc pegs. Cheap plastic with basically just a metal washer as a base. Real fucking genius design there.
-older Primo 7000 rims. Something was wrong with the way they were made and they were super prone to cracking. Primo even acknowledged this at one point.
-Animal rims. I think this applies to the old LM & LM-R rims, but like a decade ago the RS rims were apparently prone to splitting. I really hope they fixed that in the last 10 years cause I'm currently on a set haha.
-

|

5/1/2021 8:56 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Odyssey hazzard hubs where trash back in the day , had the springs and pawls shit the bed in 3 of them in 6 months years ago

...more

YOOOOO! I forgot about the Snafu pedals from the early 2000s. I put them on, did a wall ride, the spindle bent. Fuck them. Lol.

|

5/1/2021 10:00 PM

I got this idea today after my first session with the cult heavens gate grips, because they fucking suck. I have never in my ...more

I think the Heaven’s Gate grip is a great example of why LBS’ are so great. I bought a pair of these online last year because I like flangeless grips that are long and begin to travel around the bar radius. But when I rode with them my bars felt super hard (on landings) and slippery, especially when sweating...thought they were fashion over function and I trashed them.

if I actually got to see these and “hold” them prior to purchase at an LBS I never would have bought them.

|

5/1/2021 10:06 PM

I rode those begin grips and mowed through them they aren't very good lol

|

5/2/2021 5:18 AM

shadow little ones peg sleeves, i believe they are called slide or die sleeves, they are toast after an hour or just rip in half

primo hemorrhoid seat, everyone rode them back in the day and every single person ripped it within a month

|

5/3/2021 4:50 AM

DK MPH headset circa 2005ish. Couldn't even install it without breaking it.

Primo Wall Tires. You couldn't install them without trashing the bead, regardless of the rim. (Hazards and Supra E rims were the worst to install these on)

Odyssey Reloader freecoaster clutch springs. It was two weird metal spring things (similar to pawls) shoved into the clutch-no spring balls etc and if you opened the hub to clean it out, you wouldn't get it back together correctly. Period. You would trash them and ruin the hub. Follow that up with the parts being impossible to source within a year of the hub coming out due to the known issue.

Odyssey Grandstand PCs-I LOVE the pedal body, they come loose and it is super annoying. I plan to go back to alloy pedals once these are done. (Relearned pedal/sprocket grinds the other day, so it won't take too long). I struggle to find anything with a similar pedal body size.

Primo Powerbites-no pedal boss: Self explanatory. You ride them, the pedals didn't stay tight, then trashed the threads making them useless. Then they added a pedal boss, and it came loose on SO MANY people.

I never had issues with my Eastern. So they aren't as far down the line for me.

Fit: I saw a guy snap a frame THROUGH the chainstay wishbone. This is part of the reason I never got one.

Cult. I dislike how the brand as a whole was created, and dislike how many people think it is the "only brand worth buying from"-Stranger was the same for a bit too. It's catalog stuff. Nothing special.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/3/2021 9:32 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Primo Wall Tires. You couldn't install them ...more

How was cult created?

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

5/3/2021 10:00 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Care to elaborate about Cult's creation? I wasn't paying attention during that time but always wondered about it.

|

5/3/2021 10:13 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

How was cult created?

i may be wrong but i believe he's talking about Robbie leaving fit to start cult and then snatching half the team at the time..it really feels like fit has never fully recovered, when i quit riding back in the early 2000's fit was the company to ride because their team was outstanding

|

5/3/2021 11:36 AM

Primo VS rims. So soft and just wouldn’t stay true. Sunday current V1 tires are so squishy. Even at like 90 psi they still felt gross. Animal rat trap pedals feel great but I’ve bent a few pairs. And finally, Kink Brace cranks. They just come loose every session

|

5/3/2021 12:51 PM

Shakeds mum

|

5/3/2021 4:00 PM

d-Herz wrote:

Care to elaborate about Cult's creation? I wasn't paying attention during that time but always wondered about it.

Basically Robbie Morales and Chris Moeller had a disagreement of some sort. I don't remember all the specifics, I think something about Robbie wanted to do X, but Chris wanted to do Y? I really don't remember. But then Chase Dehart, Chase Hawk, Dakota Roche, and Trey Jones all just left, and I think they were still under contract too AND just came out with new signature parts including their own signature bikes, which fucked over Fit/S&M for obvious reasons. It was just super unprofessional to some people. Riders like Van Homan & Brian Foster stayed with Fit, and other riders got bumped up to pro to fill the gaps, but for awhile Fit just seemed almost dead. I mean they had Van fucking Homan so they obviously weren't going anywhere, but still. Back then in my opinion Fit had the most stacked team in bmx at the time.

After that, Cult was the touchiest subject in the bmx world for years. Anytime Cult was mentioned on here as being a decent brand or asked if it was good, it turned into a war zone. Didn't really help that at the time they were cookie cutter parts and were trying way too hard to be edgy. And I always thought it was odd they had 3 different frames, which I'm pretty sure all had the exact same specs... 2 American frames, one made by FBM (The Bad Boy) and one by Solid (Death Row) then they also had the OS frame which was made overseas and costed a little less. Plus a couple other things, so I see why they were hated, but not so much, if at all, anymore.

|

5/3/2021 7:06 PM

420530666 wrote:

Kink Viridian front hub
Primo N4FL front hub
KHE Reverse free coaster
KHE bar/stem ...more

How can a seat post clamp be shit?

|

5/3/2021 9:20 PM

Gonna get hate but éclat cortex coaster, odyssey clutch (both 1 and 2), federal amg guard sprocket, and last and most definitely least, the kmc kool knight chain

|

smile

5/3/2021 9:28 PM

PastaIsLitty wrote:

Gonna get hate but éclat cortex coaster, odyssey clutch (both 1 and 2), federal amg guard sprocket, and last and most ...more

I was thinking of the AMG as my next guard sprocket...what’s wrong with it?

|

5/3/2021 10:49 PM

PastaIsLitty wrote:

Gonna get hate but éclat cortex coaster, odyssey clutch (both 1 and 2), federal amg guard sprocket, and last and most ...more

vagabond wrote:

I was thinking of the AMG as my next guard sprocket...what’s wrong with it?

Folded that mf and also I somehow managed to bore? Drill out? Grind away? the sprocket bolt hole

|

smile

5/3/2021 11:47 PM

I agree with Colony frames just being trash. Myself and many friends have snapped headtubes clean off (doing both bangers and literal flat ground 180’s).

The original Stolen freecoaster lasted me under 20 minutes just playing around in a parking lot.

That stupid wide Fly front hub blew out in like two sessions

Any KHE folding tire. (Yeah they were light, but they often exploded and sounded like a pound of C4 being detonated)

Any tree parts other than the pegs

I’ve never had good luck with eastern frames. The geometry is always great but the strength just isn’t there.

And last but not least the Shadow Conspiracy original cranks. I don’t remember the exact name, but I’ve seen at least four pairs shatter like a fucking lightbulb from people simply pedaling.

|