worst parts ever

Related:
Create New Tag

5/3/2021 11:50 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

DK MPH headset circa 2005ish. Couldn't even install it without breaking it.

Primo Wall Tires. You couldn't install them ...more

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

How was cult created?

younggotti wrote:

i may be wrong but i believe he's talking about Robbie leaving fit to start cult and then snatching half the team at the ...more

I agree with Colony frames just being trash. Myself and many friends have snapped headtubes clean off (doing both bangers and literal flat ground 180’s).

The original Stolen freecoaster lasted me under 20 minutes just playing around in a parking lot.

That stupid wide Fly front hub blew out in like two sessions

Any KHE folding tire. (Yeah they were light, but they often exploded and sounded like a pound of C4 being detonated)

Any tree parts other than the pegs

I’ve never had good luck with eastern frames. The geometry is always great but the strength just isn’t there.

And last but not least the Shadow Conspiracy original cranks. I don’t remember the exact name, but I’ve seen at least four pairs shatter like a fucking lightbulb from people simply pedaling.

|

5/3/2021 11:53 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

KHE Reverse was great. One of the best hubs I've had.

Odyssey Elementary was great as long as you knew how to use it.

IGUS ...more

KHE reverse is catching a lot of hate, but it was really the first coaster that actually did its job. Granted they had a tendency to get a bit of a rattle, but they were still really good, especially for the time.

|

5/4/2021 12:21 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

How was cult created?

younggotti wrote:

i may be wrong but i believe he's talking about Robbie leaving fit to start cult and then snatching half the team at the ...more

Fit does both American and overseas made frames.. and the S&M made stuff is still top notch.

|

5/4/2021 12:25 AM

420530666 wrote:

Kink Viridian front hub
Primo N4FL front hub
Shadow, well.. pretty much everything.
KHE Reverse free coaster
KHE bar/stem ...more

adamantvagabond wrote:

How can a seat post clamp be shit?

It snaps in half or strips the first time you tighten it.

|

5/4/2021 12:37 AM

I find Kink/Cinema/Mission products to generally be whack and a high price. Maybe just me though?

|

Control of my bars helps me feel in control of my life.

5/4/2021 2:36 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Basically Robbie Morales and Chris Moeller had a disagreement of some sort. I don't remember all the specifics, I think ...more

Partially right.

Fit was Robbie's thing, and he asked Moeller to partner with him, and help set it up. Moeller brought in some established pros while Robbie sought out the next generation of riders for the team. This is why the younger ones left with Robbie.

For the first 7 years or so, everything was fine, but then Moeller started running the company he wanted to, not the way Robbie wanted to. In the end Robbie said "F-It" you can have the company all to yourself then, and I'm going to start a new one. Which he did.

I don't remember it ever being a touchy subject and, from memory, I remember most of the scene supporting Robbie in the break up.

As for the frame. They were all test frames, for lack of a better word, to see whether they wanted to go Solid (West Coast), FBM (East Coast), or overseas to Taiwan for their manufacturing. They obviously went Taiwan in the end, but have also gone on to become the biggest company in BMX, so it's clearly worked out for them.

|

5/4/2021 2:38 AM

Everyone out here talking about parts they don't like, and I'm still out here running a US made Animal parts from the mid 2000s, and a Skavenger frame from 2012. 😂

|

5/4/2021 3:44 AM

ohalistair wrote:

Partially right.

Fit was Robbie's thing, and he asked Moeller to partner with him, and help set it up. Moeller brought in ...more

Interesting, do you have a link to an article or anything on that? Not doubting you haha I just wanna read about it, I tried looking it up but only found the “Chase/Dak off Cult” articles and a fatbmx article that stated Moeller gave Robbie a call after hearing some shady rumors. Like I said I didn’t really know the specifics and didn’t pay much attention to it back when it happened but what you’re saying makes sense.

As for the frames thing, that also makes sense. I knew there had to be a reason but again I didn’t pay close enough attention to them at first, I just thought they wanted to offer different options of manufacturers for some weird reason. Seems like they were all a prototype of sorts to test which they’d ultimately go with in terms of strength/price.

Were you lurking the forums back in 2010-2014ish? Cause the hate wasn’t so much in the worldwide bmx scene, mainly just on Vital (and thecomeupboard when it still existed) so a much smaller scale… I just remember a simple “Is the Cult (insert part here) good/bad?” thread would turn into a multipage shitstorm on why Cult sucks or how they’re generic or how they’re basically just Fit’s sloppy seconds from kids who didn’t know Cult came from Fit… seriously, those were all arguments on here at one point and they were just as dumb as you can probably imagine they were haha

|

5/4/2021 4:00 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

cult was pretty cool back then, super edgy and street, but now it's garbage, making 12 inch camo vans tires ffs

|

5/4/2021 4:38 AM

My understanding of Cult's creation was that Robbie ran Fit. Moeller basically paid for it all. It did well for all involved-killer team, solid parts, huge following. Fit bikes were everywhere and considered one of the best. They marketed well to younger and newer riders VS S&M's following tending to be the older crowd.

Robbie wanted to start yet another brand under the same umbrella of Fit/S&M, and Moeller said he didn't need another brand/want to pay for it. Robbie essentially threw a tantrum then left, and intentionally took half the team as a "fuck you I'll do what I want" aimed at Moeller. He lucked out that it worked.

Cult became a brand. The way it appeared split the opinions of BMX a bit-you either loved it or hated it. There was no middle ground. Cult's parts were generic catalog geometry/design aimed at the "edgy teens" knowing it would sell. It was all in their marketing. The parts themselves were (and for the most part are) nothing special. They partnered with Vans for the grips and tires-which was originally a gimmick-then they sold well despite wearing out fast and not being that great. They partnered with the Simpsons for some complete bikes. The bikes weren't anything special, just had Bart on them. Bart is largely why they sold so well.

They have a stacked team, but the parts are nothing special. They seem to have their popularity drop some, so they toss out a new theme or run of "limited edition" stuff with some collaboration.

To me, the intro into BMX is what killed that brand and any respect I had for Robbie. All I can say is that I hope that he continues to take decent care of his team. I don't wish failure on him, but I won't support him.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/4/2021 8:07 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Basically Robbie Morales and Chris Moeller had a disagreement of some sort. I don't remember all the specifics, I think ...more

Thank you for this nice explanation. Pretty much exactly what I inferred from various comments and posts over the years (#2010tilltheend lol). Fit was my favorite brand in high school, back in the aitken days. I had the original Fit Series 1 frame and recall how stacked a team it was back then. Pretty much everyone around me rode either Fit, T1, S&M, or FBM back then, and maybe SBC.

|

5/4/2021 10:58 AM

adamantvagabond wrote:

How can a seat post clamp be shit?

I take it you never owned a V1 FBM Hose Clamp. They all snapped in half.......all of them.

|

5/4/2021 11:55 AM

The newer style Animal seat clamp are crap. They are stamped steel and heavier than the old aluminum ones. and they don't hold the post tight no matter how tight the bolt is.

I had An Odyssey Reloader freecoaster that the slack would change by itself. one minute it would have medium slack then hardly any and then a full crank before it would catch. I had it about 2 months and went back to cassette.

How far are we going back? I had Bully plastic pegs in the early 90's and did one feeble grind and the plastic broke off the peg, leaving a little steel shaft. Junk isn't a bad enough description of them.

|

Free thinkers are dangerous

5/4/2021 1:21 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

My understanding of Cult's creation was that Robbie ran Fit. Moeller basically paid for it all. It did well for all ...more

This is pretty close, Moeller and Robbie didn't see eye to eye on how Fit should be ran for some time and Robbie wanted to buy Fit outright, Moeller refused because he felt that the direction Robbie wanted to take fit would damage the reputation of a company that Moeller backed, funded and ultimately owned so after a few years of back and forth, Robbie left to do Cult and took half the team with him likely out of both personal friendship and spite.. Moeller knew what was coming and that is the salty reason behind naming their last video offering as partners "STAY FIT".

I largely disagree with Robbies choice on a product quality level but gave them their chance.. after an encounter with Robbie at the (first?) Cult Clubhouse jam, I quit speaking to him.. at one time he had tried to get me hooked up with Primo then less than a year later he was kicking over rails and ending jams to keep me from landing something that would put his rider out.. I did it anyway but with a backpack on, a pair of grips in one hand and a tire around my neck..

I gave those things away as I was so bummed about what Robbie did.. 100% of my friends that were there or locals that heard about it got rid of anything Cult that they had and threw the parts away as did I, not one of us has changed our view.

I think Robbie had good intentions but I think his spite changed him and not for the better, I still have friends on Cult that I think are great but my overall view is that Cult is a big gimmick and Robbie has become a self righteous dick.

|

5/5/2021 7:20 AM

Surprised noone has brought up the McNeil conjoined cranks or the shadow hub forget the name but had the pawls in the hub shell and not the driver I think it was the shadow rant 2 they shattered hubshells any cult bars I've seen 4 pairs snap in under a month all by differnt riders and one at a pump track another dropping into a quarter primo power bites even the newest version has pedal insert problems the old McNeil hubs with the recessed flanges were know to break spokes because they were too stiff.

|

I believe in hub guard protection

5/5/2021 1:34 PM

420530666 wrote:

Kink Viridian front hub
Primo N4FL front hub
KHE Reverse free coaster
KHE bar/stem ...more

bro u trippin about shadow their parts are amazing

|

5/5/2021 1:41 PM

420530666 wrote:

Kink Viridian front hub
Primo N4FL front hub
KHE Reverse free coaster
KHE bar/stem ...more

makebikingcoolagain wrote:

Ehhhh

|

5/5/2021 1:56 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

How was cult created?

younggotti wrote:

420530666 wrote:

Fit does both American and overseas made frames.. and the S&M made stuff is still top notch.

S&m haven't been top notch for a long time now. I'd go as far to say the stuff they weld in house should be on this list.

|

5/5/2021 2:34 PM

threesomemist wrote:

Surprised noone has brought up the McNeil conjoined cranks or the shadow hub forget the name but had the pawls in the hub ...more

My initial post I mentioned it but didn’t add it cause I wasn’t sure if it was a thing they did or I just got unlucky.

Photo

|

5/5/2021 3:41 PM

ohalistair wrote:

Everyone out here talking about parts they don't like, and I'm still out here running a US made Animal parts from the mid ...more

I’m tryna see your build, it sounds straight ill

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

5/5/2021 3:53 PM

threesomemist wrote:

Surprised noone has brought up the McNeil conjoined cranks or the shadow hub forget the name but had the pawls in the hub ...more

I mentioned the Raptor hub but I think the Raptor v2 was the Q-lite version that snapped in half.

Powerbites pedal boss slip should have been fixed ages ago.

|

5/5/2021 3:55 PM

420530666 wrote:

Kink Viridian front hub
Primo N4FL front hub
KHE Reverse free coaster
KHE bar/stem ...more

You can't even spell "You" which is Shadows demographic.

|

5/5/2021 6:09 PM

420530666 wrote:

To be fair, he only stated they're "amazing".

He failed to clarify whether that meant amazingly good, or amazingly bad.

|

5/6/2021 12:36 AM

420530666 wrote:

40plusscooterkid wrote:

I did not trip, nor did my hub skip or slip or any of my other parts fall apart while I was commenting on my view of Shadow Conspiracy or their garbage products.. I'm offended that he thinks I would be prone to lack of physical stability in the face of a conversation where The Shadow Conspiracy products could not stand on one leg.

|

5/6/2021 1:25 AM

420530666 wrote:

yeah you're a fucking idiot

|

5/6/2021 1:27 AM

420530666 wrote:

I did not trip, nor did my hub skip or slip or any of my other parts fall apart while I was commenting on my view of Shadow ...more

idk man i had a pair of vultus bars for 2-3 years and they were amazing, all my friends run shadow parts and no one so far had anything bad to say about the company

|

5/6/2021 2:00 AM

420530666 wrote:

yeah you're a fucking idiot

True, but I know my bike parts.

|

5/6/2021 2:06 AM

40plusscooterkid wrote:

420530666 wrote:

I did not trip, nor did my hub skip or slip or any of my other parts fall apart while I was commenting on my view of Shadow ...more

idk man i had a pair of vultus bars for 2-3 years and they were amazing, all my friends run shadow parts and no one so far had ...more

I'm curious...

How were the bars amazing?

Surely handlebars are supposed to provide places to put your hands a predetermined distance from the stem, while not breaking, deforming or causing injury to the user.

If they can do that, they're acceptable.

If they can do that and be comparatively light/stiff/pretty coloured, they might be good.

If they can't do that, they're bad. If they do something like bend while fitting grips I would say they could be amazingly bad...

To be amazing (ly good) they'd have to do stuff like bring me coffee.

|

5/6/2021 2:24 AM

40plusscooterkid wrote:

I'm curious...

How were the bars amazing?

Surely handlebars are supposed to provide places to put your hands a ...more

yeah they just lasted a really long time, the geometry was perfect and the paint held up well too, plus they were cheap

|

5/6/2021 4:28 AM

idk man i had a pair of vultus bars for 2-3 years and they were amazing, all my friends run shadow parts and no one so far had ...more

I've got a couple buddies who snapped their forks at the crown to leg welds. Another snapped dropout welds. One buddy snapped bars, another bent a set. I've seen their sprockets fold from pedaling, and hubs give out. But I have also see all of the above outlast other, more sought after/"better" brands.

I've got an original topload stem from like 05/06 that I still run. It's great. Never slipped. The rest of their stuff seems somewhat hit or miss depending on the item and the rider.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura