would bearing grease work?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/13/2017 12:54 PM

I work at a dealership and my bike finally arrived.. was wondering if I could use a little bit of bearing grease (black thick grease) from the car parts department. would it be the same thing or do I have to go buy some grease at Wal-Mart? its a liberty complete from kink ... maybe it came with a small pack of grease inside but I highly doubt it

|

12/13/2017 12:59 PM

Manny Perez wrote:

I work at a dealership and my bike finally arrived.. was wondering if I could use a little bit of bearing grease (black thick ...more

That should work just fine.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/13/2017 1:00 PM

You'll be fine... I use a Mobile 1 synthetic grease from an O'Reillys auto parts store I believe... so yeah you'll be finesmile

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/13/2017 1:02 PM

I've always used blue wheel bearing grease and its always done the trick.

I've also greased my hub with Aquaphor and used tanning oil on my chain.

I don't think it matters too much on a bike. None of your bearings are going to be spinning very fast or reaching high temperatures or anything along those lines. Any lubricant should work fine, obviously you want something a little bit thicker in/around your bearings, so just keep that in mind.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/13/2017 1:07 PM

It's a complete so pretty much it's just putting
On the front wheel,bars,fork right. Just have to grease the headset and the fork steer tube right?

|

12/13/2017 1:13 PM

Manny Perez wrote:

It's a complete so pretty much it's just putting
On the front wheel,bars,fork right. Just have to grease the headset and the ...more

No need to grease the steerer tube.

I'd say to put a dab on all threads and a really light coat on your seat post. That way, there should be nothing that can seize up.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/13/2017 2:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/13/2017 2:54 PM

Yeah, I'd remove each bolt, one at a time- & put a small dab of grease on the threads. Then the seat post. You can also put a small dab on the spline s of the crank axle too but probably not needed.

|

12/13/2017 3:34 PM

thanks boys.. so no grease on the headset either?

|

12/13/2017 3:43 PM

Manny Perez wrote:

Yeah grease the bearings and the bearing races where they sit in the frame...

|

12/13/2017 3:48 PM

Manny Perez wrote:

Grease the cups and the outside of the bearings(no need to open them).

Just avoid getting any grease on the area where the stem will clamp.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

12/13/2017 4:25 PM

Ok!

|

12/13/2017 4:44 PM

I know someone said grease threads, but no one explicitly said pedal threads... so just to add to that, be sure to grease those threads as well. and the crank splines.

everything else was pretty much covered by everyone in here... basically just lightly grease all threads and most places metal comes in contact with pedal like the seat post, the headset bearing seats (I like to grease my BB shell seats but getting those out & in without damaging them can be a pain for some people so it's fine), the crank spindle.

do NOT grease the steerer tube or handle bar clamping areas though. stuff like that should be avoided. also don't grease your chain(or WD40), use an oil

|

12/13/2017 5:46 PM

Grease is grease. It's all exactly the same.
Why are we having this conversation?

|

12/13/2017 5:53 PM

Barillms wrote:

Not at all, there are many kinds of grease for many different jobs...

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

12/14/2017 7:31 AM

Pretty much everything besides the handle bars,seat post, and pedals were assembled, oh, and I had to put the brakes which were a pain in the ass, only thing I forgot was air for my tires smile

|

12/14/2017 8:29 AM

Just to compile all the info

Grease:
Headset area
Crank arms clamping area
All Bolts
All Nuts
Bottom bracket everything
Seatpost (lil bit)
Pedal threads
Brake posts

Do NOT grease:
Stem clamping surface
Bar clamping surface

Anything I missed?

|

12/14/2017 10:40 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Grease:
Headset area
Crank arms clamping area
All Bolts
All Nuts
...more

Yes, grease your nuts reaaal well silly

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

12/14/2017 11:14 AM

Barillms wrote:

Do you just use any oil in your car? It's all the same, right?

|

12/14/2017 11:46 AM

Barillms wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

It's very common for people to think that. Just another one of the many things people just assume without ever doing any research.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

12/14/2017 11:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2017 11:55 AM

Barillms wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

It's very common for people to think that. Just another one of the many things people just assume without ever doing any ...more

I'd like to think that people would, at least, question why there are different designations for motor oils, greases, etc..; I mean, yeah, for this discussion, for the most part, grease is grease. But that is not the case in the real world. You wouldn't want to use white lithium grease in a high-temp grease area. Of course, I know you know that.. I'm just talking for talking's sake. Mostly because I find those statements to be too ridiculous.

|

12/14/2017 12:51 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Grease:
Headset area
Crank arms clamping area
All Bolts
All Nuts
...more

p1p1092 wrote:

And the shaft...of the axle

|

12/14/2017 12:55 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Grease:
Headset area
Crank arms clamping area
All Bolts
All Nuts
...more

p1p1092 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Hahagrin grin

|

12/14/2017 12:56 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

It's very common for people to think that. Just another one of the many things people just assume without ever doing any ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I'd like to think that people would, at least, question why there are different designations for motor oils, greases, etc..; I ...more

Not the kind of thing most people would think about. I can't understand how anyone is content to just go on not knowing how something works, how it's made, how to maintain it and what different types of said thing do. It drives me crazy to not know or understand something.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

12/14/2017 12:58 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Grease:
Headset area
Crank arms clamping area
All Bolts
All Nuts
...more

p1p1092 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Maybe run the nuts in and out a few times to work the grease in deeeep silly

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson