A Few Questions...

Related:
Create New Tag

9/13/2018 12:39 PM

So, I'm tweaking a few things on my bike to make it run better. The chain needs tightening; the rear brake squeals even though they were designed to automatically toe-in; when I pedal it sounds like my cassette is loose but when I wiggle the rear wheel it does not have any play.

But, when I try to tighten the chain, I cannot seem to pull it back far enough to make it tense. How do I solve this without a chain tensioner?

The rear brake pads are Odyssey Ghosts, and no matter which way I face them, they always keep squealing and its starting to piss off my friends. Is it possible to fix this or are they just like riding clear pads?

Finally, the "loose cassette clicking noise." Would it be helpful if I sent a video of me riding the bike so you guys can hear it?

|

9/13/2018 2:30 PM

To move your wheel back, loosen both sides, push it to where you want it, tighten the drive side, then tighten the non drive side. If it's not as simple as that, something is wrong. You can wedge a spanner or something between your frame and tyre to lever it to where you want it though.

What colour rims do you have? Is everything clean and tight? Is there grease everywhere metal touches metal? Have you tried toeing the pads out instead of in?

Not too sure how a cassette can sound loose? If it makes a grinding sound, it could be that your driver or chain is worn, or your chainline is out

|

9/13/2018 6:57 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

To move your wheel back, loosen both sides, push it to where you want it, tighten the drive side, then tighten the non drive side. If it's not as simple as that, something is wrong. You can wedge a spanner or something between your frame and tyre to lever it to where you want it though.

What colour rims do you have? Is everything clean and tight? Is there grease everywhere metal touches metal? Have you tried toeing the pads out instead of in?

Not too sure how a cassette can sound loose? If it makes a grinding sound, it could be that your driver or chain is worn, or your chainline is out

I have fixed the chain, its because I have aluminum pegs and they double as my bolts. Didn't fix the noise, so I know its somewhere else on my drivetrain. Because when I pedal, you can hear a clicking noise. It stops once I stop pedaling, and doesn't make the noise when I go backwards. There is no grease whatsoever on my chrome rims, and metal does not touch metal in any spots.

|

9/14/2018 1:24 AM

Lose those pegs, you can't grind on them anyway (they won't slide and you'll bend your axles). Unless you're riding flatland?
Sounds like you might have a stretched chain or worn driver. But it could be driver bearings or bb too.
No grease on the rims! Ever! I mean on the break, where it mounts to the frame, and on the thread of the post. Also sand the pads a touch, and clean the rim. It might make it squeal more if it's really clean though. Are you sure you've toed the pads? So the front of the pad touches before the back? Have you tried toeing them out (so the back of the pad touches first)? The squeal can be 2 things. It's either air trapped between the pads/rim, or vibration. Ghost pads are soft and known for squealing though. Maybe chuck some black/harder pads on and see if it makes a difference. The brake might not work quite as well, but at least you can get rid of the horrible noise. And it should still work well enough

|