A noob guide to detanglers

Related:
Create New Tag

9/9/2011 7:15 AM

Being as how the trend is brakeless, setting up brakes is a lost art. Add to that the confusion of a detangler and it can be a headache, so I thought I'd post up a "how to".
What you need:
1. Brake lever and upper cable... I recommend the Odyssey M2 lever. It's designed specifically for running a dual upper detangler cable (included with purchase).
If you are using any other lever (designed to run a single cable) you have two options.
A) A split cable with a junction.
This design hooks up to the lever like a regular single cable.
or The Snafu Astroglide upper detangler cable (recommended)
This design connects to the lever the same as a regular cable, but it has a second cable that runs outside the lever and barrel adjuster and a metal piece that goes into the barrel adjuster at the end of the lever as a stop for both cables.
2. Upper gyro plate. There are a few different brands of these all made to work with a specific stem, but just buy the cheapest one and flip it upside down if it doesn't fit with your stem.
3. Detangler. I run the Snafu Mobeus
Another option is the Odyssey GTX-R (note: includes upper AND lower gyro plate... if your frame isn't pre-drilled for gyro tabs you will need the lower plate)
4. Lower gyro tabs (for pre-drilled frames) There are two types of these... 1 that works with Fly, T1, Failure, & Proper frames(pictured) and 1 that works with all other frames, so be sure to get the right tabs.
5. Lower detangler cable. I recommend a dual cable set up using a London Mod made by Odyssey
You will need a specific cable made for gyros because they have smaller knarps. SST - Oryg makes this one...
Or there is this one made by Snafu that includes their own version of the London Mod (although Odyssey's is beefier and better IMO)
At the brake you connect a seperate cable to each arm.
Again you have the option to run the split cable with the junction... this connects to the brake the same way a single cable would using a brake hanger.

From here you just dial it all in. I recommend having the barrel adjusters about halfway out when installing the cables so that you have adjustment room either way after everything is connected. Also, you want your detangler to float over the bottom tabs. In this pic it looks like mine is resting on the tabs, but it is actually just barely floating over them.
Remember to use clear pads on painted rims (helps to keep from wearing off the paint) and the pads should be pitched slightly so that they touch the front of the rim first. If they really squeal try placing a dime inbetween the back of the pad and rim when tightening down your pads.
Here are some pics of everything set up on my bike...
BRAKES FTW!!!!!!!!!

|

Photobucket

9/9/2011 6:36 PM

nice bike

|

Noah Farver

717-679-7588 Text me if you need me.

Sig

9/9/2011 10:07 PM

Nike iD wrote:

nice bike

Thanks. I just finished it last weekend. I only have one ride on it so far, lol.

|

Photobucket

9/11/2011 1:06 PM

Love how your using an Iphone to prop it up :L

|

10/28/2011 9:05 AM

gyros are too sexy.

|

My Bicyclemachine.
|United Bike Co|Profile Racing|Odyssey BMX|BSD|Fit Bike Co|Cult|Dub BMX|Nike 6.0|Unit 23 Skatepark|

10/28/2011 1:13 PM

How do you like those Evo's?

|

Photobucket
Refs: ScramHype, Wade, jwnolte, beastassdick, ///digitalme, iridebmx2122

10/28/2011 1:33 PM

tankbob wrote:

How do you like those Evo's?

They're good... I have Fly brakes on my Eastern that cost twice as much and I'd say the Evo's are just as good. I have the red Ezra wheels now and clear pads so they squeel like a mother, but work awesome! LOL... I haven't done a lot to try and change the pitch of the pads or anything to cut down on the squeeling cuz they grab so good!

|

Photobucket

10/28/2011 1:37 PM

tankbob wrote:

How do you like those Evo's?

bmx214 wrote:

They're good... I have Fly brakes on my Eastern that cost twice as much and I'd say the Evo's are just as good. I have the red Ezra wheels now and clear pads so they squeel like a mother, but work awesome! LOL... I haven't done a lot to try and change the pitch of the pads or anything to cut down on the squeeling cuz they grab so good!

Sick, as for the clear pads you can adjust them and they will grip just as good just no squeeks. For my eclat clear pads I just flipped them and bent them with some plyers(they are moldable). The squeek is cool at first but it gets soooooo annoying.

|

Photobucket
Refs: ScramHype, Wade, jwnolte, beastassdick, ///digitalme, iridebmx2122

10/29/2011 9:29 AM

tankbob wrote:

How do you like those Evo's?

bmx214 wrote:

They're good... I have Fly brakes on my Eastern that cost twice as much and I'd say the Evo's are just as good. I have the red Ezra wheels now and clear pads so they squeel like a mother, but work awesome! LOL... I haven't done a lot to try and change the pitch of the pads or anything to cut down on the squeeling cuz they grab so good!

tankbob wrote:

Sick, as for the clear pads you can adjust them and they will grip just as good just no squeeks. For my eclat clear pads I just flipped them and bent them with some plyers(they are moldable). The squeek is cool at first but it gets soooooo annoying.

yeah, I'll mess with it eventually, but I haven't hardly ridden my Kink since I got done with the build.

Hard to find time between full time job and family duties!

|

Photobucket

11/3/2011 4:05 AM

will the bottom plate of a Odyssey GTX-R gyro work on a Cult O/S with integrated head tube bearings mate? does a washer go between the bearing and the plate?

need to know asap so i can throw in an order

|

11/3/2011 6:40 AM

i'm liking that bike stand

|

vital's redneck

11/3/2011 1:31 PM

lukegoh13 wrote:

will the bottom plate of a Odyssey GTX-R gyro work on a Cult O/S with integrated head tube bearings mate? does a washer go between the bearing and the plate?

need to know asap so i can throw in an order

Not sure man... I'm guessing it would, but I haven't ever had to use the bottom plate cuz I've always had pre-drilled head tubes... you could always get gyro tabs and drill and tap the head tube yourself, that actually shouldn't be too difficult. You'll have to take your stem and stuff off anyway to set up the gyro so you can just pull your forks out, drill / tap it, clean it up and be on your way.

|

Photobucket

11/3/2011 2:31 PM

lukegoh13 wrote:

will the bottom plate of a Odyssey GTX-R gyro work on a Cult O/S with integrated head tube bearings mate? does a washer go between the bearing and the plate?

need to know asap so i can throw in an order

bmx214 wrote:

Not sure man... I'm guessing it would, but I haven't ever had to use the bottom plate cuz I've always had pre-drilled head tubes... you could always get gyro tabs and drill and tap the head tube yourself, that actually shouldn't be too difficult. You'll have to take your stem and stuff off anyway to set up the gyro so you can just pull your forks out, drill / tap it, clean it up and be on your way.

Here's a HOW TO

|

Photobucket

11/3/2011 2:36 PM

well i dont have a drill, thats my only issue, im in Australia and a long way from home (The UK)

Gonna just get my forks on (sweeet 990 lugs!!) and run a straight cable and stay old school no pegs

|

11/4/2011 11:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/5/2011 12:04 AM

Great write up here, bmx214, and it is refreshing to see a brake setup these days.

I've recently hopped back on the bmx wagon after a long 14-year hiatus. And when I used to ride back then a lot of tricks relied on brakes; front and back brakes. Well, I've got the itch to ride 20" again and am setting up a detangler as I actually prefer the look of a nice gyro system with duals over a single/straight cable or no brakes at all.

I too am installing an Ody M2 / Mobeus / dual lower Astroglides to a Fly brake on my new Kink and like how you routed your lower cables as you have em fastened to the top tube a bit tighter than typical. Do you find that the dual lower cables have increased friction from the tight-ish bends in your cable housings?

Also, what is the brass coupler lookin' piece that ships with the M2 lever for? Can't seem to figger that one out.

|

11/5/2011 10:25 AM

pork soda wrote:

Great write up here, bmx214, and it is refreshing to see a brake setup these days.

I've recently hopped back on the bmx wagon after a long 14-year hiatus. And when I used to ride back then a lot of tricks relied on brakes; front and back brakes. Well, I've got the itch to ride 20" again and am setting up a detangler as I actually prefer the look of a nice gyro system with duals over a single/straight cable or no brakes at all.

I too am installing an Ody M2 / Mobeus / dual lower Astroglides to a Fly brake on my new Kink and like how you routed your lower cables as you have em fastened to the top tube a bit tighter than typical. Do you find that the dual lower cables have increased friction from the tight-ish bends in your cable housings?

Also, what is the brass coupler lookin' piece that ships with the M2 lever for? Can't seem to figger that one out.

Thanks man... I was just like you! Got back into bmx after a lot of years out and as soon as I got my first bike I knew after about 5 minutes that I was gonna need to order forks and a front brake, lol. It just doesn't feel right to ride without a full brake setup!
The brakes are dialed and the bend in the lower cables isn't binding at all. Works flawless. Just as good if not better than any straight cable would. Just make sure to pull the cable out of the housing and grease it while installing your brakes. Helps keep everything smoooooth. I just put a little gob of grease on my thumb and index finger and then pinch my cable on one end and pull it through my greasy fingers. Slide the housing back on and install the cable.
As far as the brass thingy, it's just extra bushings for the lever (also has the screw for the hinge) incase you need to rebuild it.

|

Photobucket

5/12/2012 7:31 PM

thanks bro helped me with my shat

|

AMBER for life

5/26/2012 7:46 PM

nice kick stand

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

7/21/2013 9:47 PM

Im kinda new to BMX but can i do this with bikes with only rear brakes?

|

7/22/2013 12:44 AM

Nice bike man and the iphone kickstand thing is funny...is that how ppl are usin iphones now?

|

Don't tell me how to live my life!

I failed the life test...

4/4/2014 5:42 AM

since ive put my gyro and gyro plate on my stem compression bolt dosnt reach and my bar are wabbly and ive taken all the spacers out and it still dosnt reach please help thanks

|

10/20/2014 9:13 AM

So how would you install a gyro without the predrilled tabs? My Cult OS doesn't have tab holes. Would you just put the lower plate instead of using the tabs>

|