Barspin Help

Related:
Create New Tag

11/1/2014 10:00 PM

"Oh shit, another one of those goddamn kids needing help with doing hop bars"
Yeah well, I really need all the help I can get. Been trying this trick for about a year now, I've done everything. Indoor bike, throwing and catching etc etc But every freakin time I throw the bars I take my front foot off. Don't get me wrong, I'll throw and catch both hands every time, but my front foot will fall off. I taped my foot to the pedal, I caught one handed and fell. Please help as this trick makes my blood boil

|

11/3/2014 5:55 AM

Taped the foot tothe pedal... I love it. I just started trying too. I cant help, But I wish more people would jump in. the last good thread was like a year on two ago.

|

11/6/2014 9:16 AM

Follow up question for me. .how exactly does one get the knees back far enough to clear the bars? Even on xups I can't seem to get it most trys. Almost seems like you have to pinch defore and as you hop... But then you can't really get that high. and even as I feel like I'm pinching good, I still wack the far knee.

|

11/12/2014 8:19 PM

Try doing them smaller. Just hop about a foot and throw at the peak of your hop, stay committed. Lean forward and try to get your hands on the bars as they come around. The front end will probably land before you catch, but it just gets the feel for throwing and hopping. Then you can try and hop higher if you're comfortable, and then work your way up to catching in the air before you land. x up bars helped me because then I knew I could clear my knees with my feet on the pedals. Wear knee pads or shin guards so if you do hit, it won't hurt, thus giving you more confidence. Commitment is key! Try hopping and straightening your legs but sorta leaning your butt back a tad for clearance, or just pinch. and practice !

not my photo, courtesy of google. creds to him
obviously this is fly out, but the body positioning is the same
Photo

|

11/13/2014 6:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/14/2014 5:51 AM

good advice, thank you. Are these just way to. hard, should Just not be trying this yet? I feel like, I used to throw the manual bars always, off anything. and I always wanted to go for the real thing. But I never got close when I tryed. and I never spent the Countless hrs practice it takes. I was good in skates, and BMX Was a sidebar then. after 10 years, I have a new bike and am really putting the hrs in. Just got the 180s within range (1 in 10 ). And now I have my heart set on bunnydars. is it nopless this soon? Or is it the kinda thing you can just start trying over and over till it starts to make sense?

|

11/15/2014 1:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2014 1:24 PM

I don't really have any parks near me. seems like it would be easyer, but way scaryer, with all that speed and height...

I've been working on getting my manual bars back, and just J hoping straight, and trying to pinch the seat and get my body in position.

|

11/21/2014 7:49 AM

youre going to want to pinch your legs as much as you can without it feeling way unnatural, the key is commiting cos no doubt you could land it if you full on commited, i know you probably think you are commiting but you probably have some doubt, so clear that out of your head, when you throw it make sure your body is over the bike os you keep control, your front foot might come off and hovver slightly above the pedal but dont worry this is perfectly normal for people to do this, i still do it sometimes now, you just need to know that your foot will go back on.

Make sure your catch hand is ready to get the grip and try leasrning it by bussing the bar as much as you can.

|

11/21/2014 7:57 AM

also, with your legs when you pinch you want to straighten them as if you were standing upright on your bike but lean your body over, if youre right foot forward you need to throw with your right hand to make it easier and less likely the bike will drop, if youre left foot forward then throw with your left hand

|

12/16/2014 2:17 AM

At first, I did pull-up manual half barspins which hurt like hell, and I even decided to try them the bunnyhop way with like barely 5 inches off the ground and the bends would smack me in the fingers and I would never try them again. I always suggest throwing full bars or nothing. Half bars are a bad habit and I've known some people who have hurt their hands to the point of fracturing/breaking/jamming fingers, etc.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

12/16/2014 2:19 AM

I can barely hop barspin but I'm getting there. I'm trying not to throw them overhand. I don't do them x-up unless I try them switch, which I'm definitely not even going to attempt seriously. As of right now, I can hop like 5 inches off the ground either bitch hop or bunnyhop, and I can busdriver most of the time. If I try to do them overhand and get lazy, I catch weird and I miss.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke