Brake tabs cut off frame

Related:
Create New Tag

2/17/2015 8:37 AM

Hello,
I'm looking at possibly buying a used bike. I found one that's within my price range with the specs that I need, but the owner says he cut the unremovable brake tabs off. Is there a way to remedy this or should I just forget the bike?

|

2/17/2015 9:50 AM

you can grind the original brake mounts if any are left down with an angle grinder, then, drill a hole in the upper, or lower stay bridge, and buy a U-brake plate from Dan's comp.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/17/2015 9:52 AM

https://www.danscomp.com/products/489057/990_Brake_Plate.html

this is it on the front forks, but it works teh same as on the back
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/17/2015 9:58 AM

I would also epoxy it to the frame with J-B weld, and use something like cloth Hockey tape to help keep it from moving around some, as I hear they do move some. but between the epoxy and the bolt. their shouldnt be any problem. if you dont want to use an angle grinder to clean up where the old mounts were(if you even need too) you can always mount it on the chain stay bridge rather then the seatstay bridge.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/21/2015 11:27 AM

I would rather spend 20$ more on a frame and not have to ride a frame with brakes glued on lol. Seeing how bad the flex on removable mounts can be, I can even begin to imagine a ghetto drilled plate, or glue and hockey tape haha

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

3/16/2015 5:31 PM

You can just grind everything down and ride brakeless or you can buy the bike sell the frame and then buy another. I also know danscomp sells brakemounts (just normal ones) and you could use those but I don't really know how they work sorry.

|