Budget mini ramp.

Related:
Create New Tag

3/16/2018 5:35 PM

I'm 29 years old, just decided to start riding again for the first time since I was 13! As a kid I always dreamed of having my own mini ramp, now as an adult with two acres of land it seems like it could be a very real possibility!

I'm a decent carpenter, I can source a lot of materials for free/cheap and buy the rest of what I need. I even have all my own tools, these days.

My biggest question is, wanting to do thos on the cheap, and with as much portability as possible, has anyone ever built/rode a mini ramp with a dirt flatbottom? I'm planning on building two 4ft quarters and just spacing them out at the back of the yard. Maybe add two more 6ft sections later.

If anyone has experience with this, what (if any) issues came up during construction, riding, or maintenance?

|

3/17/2018 6:40 PM

With a dirt flat-bottom, you're probably going to lose a whole lot of speed between. I'd definitely say to put a proper, wooden flat-bottom on it. It'd also reduce the amount of wood in contact with the ground if you raised it a few inches.

Keep as much of it off the ground as possible and use treated wood for anything that touches the ground, to prevent it from rotting away, very quickly.

I'd say to use fence posts(the type that drive into the ground) for the corners and build it on those. That way, you don't have to worry too much about leveling or the ground sinking; you just build it in place, level.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/20/2018 8:24 AM

2 acres?! Build some jumps! And a dirt bowl! With a log sub box!

|

3/20/2018 8:27 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

2 acres?! Build some jumps! And a dirt bowl! With a log sub box!

Wish I could! Most of my yard is dedicated to other things, like my welding shop, dog kennels, play area for the kids, and a small vegetable garden. But i do have room for a mini ramp at the back behind the kennels. Or maybe off the back of the shop.

|

3/20/2018 5:06 PM

Good. Cheap. Portable. Pick two.

You are basically building a deck, off the ground, with some curves on top. They are, by definition, not very portable. Where would you move them too anyway?

Get 16 4" quick posts, rent the post hole digger and go to town....

|

New tech can't beat old school cool...or can it?
1987 O.O.S. Redline RL20II (Old Old Stock - this ain't no museum piece kids!)
2012 Norco Deviant
1996 GT Avalanche LE w/ Full 2002 XT upgrade and NE Total Air MZO fork

3/20/2018 6:49 PM

Oldguyjon wrote:

Good. Cheap. Portable. Pick two.

You are basically building a deck, off the ground, with some curves on top. They are, by ...more

I was hoping to be able to shuttle them around the yard if need be. There may come a time when I need to add kennels, or extend storage space behind my shop (planning on purchasing a small tractor next year.) I was thinking 4 freestanding quarters with a dirt flatbottom would be much easier to load on a flatbed and pull to a new area than a full mini.

Have you ever had experience with a "dirt bottom" mini ramp like this?

|

3/24/2018 6:49 AM

Tango wrote:

I was hoping to be able to shuttle them around the yard if need be. There may come a time when I need to add kennels, or ...more

I have, and learned that dirt and wood dont mix. the dirt gets all over the ramp turning into a slick mess, even seemingly 'dry' dirt is slippery as hell on the wood. morning dew is enough to make a mess. so we threw some plywood down between the ramps, scrap we had left, but it sunk in oddly and left corners sticking up. this was 30+ years ago, and we had fun but we spent a lot of time rearranging wood and eating dirt. as an adult I wouldn't waste time like that and would strive to do it better.

use those concrete 4x4 post holders as a compromise? 4 pieces, 2 ramps, 2 flat that could still be re-positioned in a day if needed - but you need to relevel the ground each time too.

sometimes on my way home to my parents i drive by the house that had the ramp - the ramp s gone but the shed that was on of the vertical walls (and touching the shingles was the ultimate) is still there.

|

2012 Norco Deviant

3/24/2018 6:52 AM

|

2012 Norco Deviant