Bunnyhop help tailored

Related:
Create New Tag

10/23/2016 3:32 AM

Hey guys!
I have been riding for two months now and i am pretty comfortable with my bike. Two days ago I went outside and gave bunnyhops a real serious go, and i managed to jump! But only like an inch. I am going to attach a video of me, please dont say suck the back end in and point toes down, because when i do this and jump my feet come off the pedals.
Thanks
My bunnyhop attempt

|

10/23/2016 4:33 AM

You need to lean back more (like doing manual), pull whole handlebars to your body and then push them forward. Watch some videos, you'll get it, don't worry smile

|

Land it or go home

10/23/2016 6:03 AM

Try to compress more before the jump, like when you want ot jump without your bike, you bend your knees first to drop closer to the ground en then spring up right? Try to do the same with a bunnyhop, compress, push your handlebars into the ground then pull them up as hard as you can and what jacki said, lean back, then start to level your bike out by scooping up the back end with your pedals and by moving your weigth forward again.

What helped me to get higher and better bunnyhops was to learn how to loop out, like pull up so hard that the bike flips out underneath you. And to bunnyhop but have the bars hit your lap whilst doing the bunnyhop.

Good luck!

|

Check out SeckClothing.com ! Awesome BMX clothing and parts! For any questions you can message me wink

10/23/2016 7:54 AM

Seck wrote:

Try to compress more before the jump, like when you want ot jump without your bike, you bend your knees first to drop closer ...more

Thanks, but when you say lift up with your pedals. I can lift the back up when flat and not trying a hop but when it comes to the hop i try and combine them but when i scoop the back end my feet come off pedals

|

10/24/2016 10:37 PM

Don't think of it as 'lifting with your pedals' as much as 'lifting your feet WITH your pedals.'

After you get the front end up (you've got that down pretty well), push the bars sort of up and forward. if you werent on the bike, the back end would just lift up, but since you are on the pedals, you have to bring your legs up with them to get height.

the trick is in the timing. your arms go up and forward at the same time as your legs come up. You are very close.

|

10/27/2016 2:50 AM

HibbityHop wrote:

Don't think of it as 'lifting with your pedals' as much as 'lifting your feet WITH your pedals.'

After you get the front end ...more

Thank you!
I will post another progress video with your advice in mind then see where I am, thanks man!

|

10/27/2016 6:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2016 6:24 AM

You'll get it. Just remember that the force is mostly in your arms (it's not a lot of force since you are lifting your feet at the same time).

If you are still having trouble, watch a few videos of people doing hops. Think about what their arms are doing with the bars. Watch their feet and remember that their feet aren't pulling on the pedals.

Once you get that back wheel off the ground, re-read the first couple of replies ITT to get your hops higher.

|

10/27/2016 1:08 PM

HibbityHop wrote:

You'll get it. Just remember that the force is mostly in your arms (it's not a lot of force since you are lifting your feet at ...more

How long did it take you?

|

10/27/2016 1:27 PM

HibbityHop wrote:

You'll get it. Just remember that the force is mostly in your arms (it's not a lot of force since you are lifting your feet at ...more

I watched the videos and it seems as if when they pull up to their waist, the bike naturally comes off the ground and then they just bend their legs and the bike comes up with them? Im so confused sad

|

10/27/2016 2:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2016 2:51 PM

HibbityHop wrote:

EwanBMX wrote:

I watched the videos and it seems as if when they pull up to their waist, the bike naturally comes off the ground and then ...more

I learned how to bunny hop in an afternoon riding with friends many years ago, but it took me a while to get high hops because of how weird it feels to pull the bars up high at first.

when they jump in the vids they bend their legs, but the bike doesn't naturally lift up in back. you have to push the bars up and forward as well.

Think of it as a seesaw that you are trying to get level. if you are standing on one end, you have to push on the other end to get it to lift up.

Your feet are basically the middle, and the bars are the other end of the seesaw, so once the front wheel is off the ground, push the bars up and forward. Watch some vids again, and look at their body position at the peak of the jump: They have their butts over back wheel and arms fully extended. If you make your arms go into that position and tuck at the same time...VOILA!! You're hoppin!

|

10/29/2016 6:22 AM

Hey EwanBMX, how is your progress?

Have you watched Adam LZ's instructional vid? I checked it out last night and it's pretty perfect. He explains all the movements and body positions in detail. Watch it until you get it and then go do some hops!

|

10/29/2016 8:07 AM

HibbityHop wrote:

Have you watched Adam LZ's instructional vid? I checked it out last night and it's pretty ...more

I have watched it like 5 times, i still dont get it. Yesterday i managed a bunny hop like 5 inches but it was both wheels at the same time. sad

|

10/29/2016 2:52 PM

HibbityHop wrote:

Have you watched Adam LZ's instructional vid? I checked it out last night and it's pretty ...more

EwanBMX wrote:

I have watched it like 5 times, i still dont get it. Yesterday i managed a bunny hop like 5 inches but it was both wheels at ...more

Try this: Instead of standing on your pedals, try it while standing next to your bike. pull back on the bars, and when you get your front wheel up. push your bars forward really quick. Do this until the back wheel lifts off the ground. Once you get that, do the same thing while standing on the bike. Just remember than when you are on the bike you have to time your leg-tuck to happen at the same time the back should be lifting up.

Be careful that you don't jam your pedal into your knee or shin trying this.

|

10/29/2016 5:02 PM

You got the right idea of lifting the front end up, but remember to jump with your legs and feet like you want to jump off the bike high. As long as you keep holding onto the bars, your feet will stay stuck to the pedals because pulling up forces the pedals' pressure into your feet. Think of like this: vertical, snap!. Vertical (bend knees while rolling, then jump while pulling the front of the bike vertical), then snap! (once you have pulled the bike as vertical as possible, then snap it level by simultaneously pushing the handlebars forward and sucking your knees up into your chest/stomach). Watch a skateboarding ollie in slow motion--it is the same exact physics. Good luck!

|

10/31/2016 1:05 PM

That LZ video skewed my youtube suggestions LOL!

This is mtb-oriented, but it's the same theory. it just doesn't feel the same when you do it.

|

11/3/2016 5:27 PM

Anyone ever pulled their bars up and for some reason forgotten to pull the back end up and absolutely eaten shit?? XD

|

11/4/2016 1:54 PM

mybikewantstokillme666 wrote:

Anyone ever pulled their bars up and for some reason forgotten to pull the back end up and absolutely eaten shit?? XD

Yup! XD

|