Can’t fakie out of 180

Related:
Create New Tag

7/15/2019 1:10 PM

Im thinking about quitting bmx at this point because this is taking all of the fun out of it. I love riding but I have worked for two summers at this, finally am getting my 180 literally every time. Front end up first, turns head, lift rear, full 180, and then can’t fakie out. I can fakie normally though. I just can’t seem to put the two together I’m pedaling backwards as soon as my wheel hits and Im traveling fast enough to roll backwards. I just don’t know. I need help please. Is there some magic word you have to say to make it work?

|

7/16/2019 12:27 PM

Over rotate slightly. And don’t carve too much. Carving too much will make you lean

|

8/2/2019 10:26 AM

bmx. wrote:

Im thinking about quitting bmx at this point because this is taking all of the fun out of it. I love riding but I have worked for two summers at this, finally am getting my 180 literally every time. Front end up first, turns head, lift rear, full 180, and then can’t fakie out. I can fakie normally though. I just can’t seem to put the two together I’m pedaling backwards as soon as my wheel hits and Im traveling fast enough to roll backwards. I just don’t know. I need help please. Is there some magic word you have to say to make it work?

Late, but in case anyone else has same problem: Your regular fakie may not be fast enough. Getting out of a 180 requires the speed of something like a hop fakie with front tire on the coping of a 6' quarter. That is the kind of speed you need to be comfortable with. So get faster at your fakies. If you can 180 out of fast fakie, you can do it after a 180.

|

New tech can't beat old school cool...or can it?
1987 O.O.S. Redline RL20II (Old Old Stock - this ain't no museum piece kids!)
2012 Norco Deviant
1996 GT Avalanche LE w/ Full 2002 XT upgrade and NE Total Air MZO fork

8/5/2019 9:57 AM

Turn the front wheel the opposite way you want to exit, carve, then apply pedal pressure with your front foot and turn your front wheel in the opposite direction. Easier said than done, but just practice over and over and over again. I'd practice your fakie outs first, just coming off against a wall, repeatedly until you get it. Don't quit and good luck!

|

8/19/2019 12:19 PM

personally i have found the best way to get out of a 180 is with a half cab but the idea could be used on a pivot. basically once you land your 180 go down and basically preload like your going to do a big hop. once you've done that just pull up as hard as you can and huck it out.use the same concept of looking over your shoulder and turning. the biggest problem i had with this was just taking my feet off during the cab. i am still working on training myself to just hold on for dear life

|

8/19/2019 1:05 PM

milozhinzbmx wrote:

personally i have found the best way to get out of a 180 is with a half cab but the idea could be used on a pivot. basically once you land your 180 go down and basically preload like your going to do a big hop. once you've done that just pull up as hard as you can and huck it out.use the same concept of looking over your shoulder and turning. the biggest problem i had with this was just taking my feet off during the cab. i am still working on training myself to just hold on for dear life

But if you full cab you’ll end up going backwards again, not really solving the issue?
Even with half cabs all you need to do is land with your bars turned a bit, then hop and turn them the other way. You can get away with only hopping 90 and still roll out of it. And that’s with a freecoaster. Backpedaling to half cab with a cassette is a whole different ball game if he’s got a cassette

|

10/7/2019 4:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/7/2019 4:20 PM

I actually learned how to fakie and half cab on a cassette yesterday. I had a cassette for one day and learned it because I had originally learned on a freecoaster. With the cassette it’s kind of difficult timing your crank position right to where you can turn and you won’t go into like a wheely. My advice is to lean back, it won’t happen unless your back wheel can pivot in a sort of balance point(learn this and switch half cabs are a breeze) as you lean, lean more to the opposite side you are trying to roll out (if you spin left lean to the right) you want to be almost sitting slightly to the right of the wheel almost like a manual. Finally you want to carve (just turn your bar in the opposite direction so that is rolls you sideways) a little bit like the guys said to the point where you’re anywhere from 30 to 90° angle. Then jerk (pull your bars in the direction you want to go) the bike to the left while turning your head. I recommend going on flat land, and just pull up and move your tire from side to side. Almost like a turn but just picking up and turning you and the bike just a little bit, it’s a similar motion to rolling out. This will also help later when you under rotate a half and need that little extra turn in order not to fall sideways

|

10/29/2019 10:18 AM

In the fakie, i like to lean back with my ass over my back tire and look at my top tube for balance. Carve shrp and use your pedal pressure to get the frnt end up and boom, half cab.

|