Related:
Create New Tag
mutterbilk mutterbilk
4/14/2017 8:13 PM

First post on the Vital BMX forums smile I'm really bad at trying to construct this post into something that isn't like a high school essay, because i'm sure none of you want to read this much, so i'll just bold the important shit.

I started riding about 5 or 6 years ago when i was in 10th/11th grade, and rode for about a year until i moved to a new city+school for my senior year, where my Haro was stolen shortly after. Havent ridden(rode? grammar? english?) a bike until now, 4 years after graduating. I bought a new Fit, and i'm pickin up where i left off.Photo

So. I'm left foot forward, and i grind on the left side. A few weeks ago i was practicing feebles and double pegs on a flat ledge, when i broke the master link off my chain. Not a big deal, went to Empire, and my homie there hooked me up and installed a new one(cuz i have 0 knowledge on bmx repairs). He said that's just something that happens when you grind on the sprocket side, and recommended getting a chain that doesn't have a master link(idk what those are called. a full chain? a half link chain?). Am i just not supposed to be grinding on the left side at all?

Also, when doing flat 180's, i spin towards my left foot. But when i'm practicing airing quarters, airing towards my right(back foot) feels safer and more natural.

Coming from skateboarding, i see a lot of similarities in BMX, mainly in the way tricks are named(feebles,smiths,disasters, etc...), but there are basic things that i'm sure i'm missing that i'm hoping y'all could shed some light on. Like unwritten rules/guidelines of BMX for example, or general tips...

Thanks, and keep shreddin smile

grumpySteve grumpySteve
4/14/2017 11:08 PM

Yeah usually you'd have your sprocket and stuff on your non grind side, but for you that would mean needing a new wheel and stuff. That way you don't risk hitting you sprocket or chain as often. However, you could get a guarded sprocket, and hub guards, that should save you from landing on your chain. Plus, if you ever go with 4 pegs ideally you want your drivetrain on your regular grind side as you're less likely to slip off a peg on your natural grinding side.

As for which way you turn and what foot you have forward, it really doesn't matter. Chances are you'll pick opposite stuff up a lot easier, like opposite spins etc. It's all just about riding how you feel comfortable

GMGuinn GMGuinn
4/15/2017 8:10 AM

That looks like a Nordstrom. He's a local! +1 for all of your local support! Moving on...

Stay away from those granite sub boxes at House Park. They're death traps! I have no clue if that's where you futzed your chain, but it's good advice nonetheless. tongue

Master links are just for convenience, really. You can run chains without the master link if you so choose. You'll need a chain breaker to assemble the chain, but they're cheap enough.

Steve hit all your main points, but I'll emphasize the preference side of it because it bears repeating: Ride the way you feel most comfortable!

mutterbilk mutterbilk
4/15/2017 1:55 PM
GMGuinn wrote:

That looks like a ...more

HELL YEAH its a nordstrom1! :D i'm always either too early or too late when im at House Park to see Matt. I'll get back home and check Instagram later that day and see clips of him shredding. And YES those damn boxes are exactly where i wrecked my chain ahahah!

Dope man, if you ever see me with this bike and a grey beanie on, say whats up :D Thanks for the help

GMGuinn GMGuinn
4/15/2017 10:29 PM
mutterbilk wrote:

HELL YEAH its a ...more

Haha, yeah. The local talent... they're an elusive bunch!

Anywho, if I see you there, I'll holler!

pnj pnj
4/18/2017 10:20 AM

Grind side doesn't matter. If you only run pegs on one side you COULD get your chain/sprocket set up for the other side. I have always run 4 pegs and my right side was my grind side. We didn't have the option for left side drive way back in the day.

Left foot forward, right foot forward, spin left spin right, etc. Doesn't matter.

I think it's better when riders are different. It's going to lead to different tricks and a different style.

Just keep riding.

dave lawrence dave lawrence
4/18/2017 1:52 PM
GMGuinn wrote:

That looks like a ...more

If you run into a dude named Jake Demuth from Minnesota, tell him Dave says "What do you mean?" he will get it and either laugh or just look pissed. Either way, HILARIOUS.

He's a pretty rad dude who went down for a few months, then had to come back, but now he is down there again and picked up a job and rides house a bunch.

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

indyjps indyjps
4/23/2017 6:09 AM

If you skated for years, you should be fine, just learning the bike and getting comfortable. You can get your head into it and commit -not second guess.

Spend some time on You tube watching bike repair videos, if you ride hard you need to know how to service your stuff, and when things are going bad. You'll go broke paying a shop to take care of a bike that's ridden hard.
Wheel truing, changing tires, rebuild and lube rear hub, setting chain tension correctly.
Chain breaker is about $10, Allen keys, wrench set, spoke key $7, cone wrenches, will get most of what you need.

ggallin422 ggallin422
5/7/2017 9:04 AM

They told you that you needed to buy a new chain, if you didn't want to run a master link? That's actually pretty shady, and doesn't sound like a good friend. It's not true. They could have taken off your master link, then linked the chain with a chain tool. There is no special chain that doesn't have a master link. It doesn't exist. All chains are the same. You can use a master link if you want, or you don't use one. Sounds like they were taking advantage of you. I'd bring it up next time you see him, if your story is true. He lied.

CHILDISHGAMBINO CHILDISHGAMBINO
5/13/2017 2:01 PM

It's funny, coming from skating I still think of things as frontside and backside all the time and find myself trying to relate what's happening on my bike in relation to skating.

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals »

THE SHOP