Fakie after 180

Related:
Create New Tag

4/27/2020 7:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/27/2020 7:59 AM

Hi, I'm not crazy into BMX, I came here from vitalMTB, but I do like to mess around on my BMX bike a bit especially now that we're all quarantined. One trick I really want to get is the 180-fakie-half cab. I can 180 just fine, I can half cab just fine, and I can often fake just fine. The problem I have with putting this trick all together is I can't seem to be able to fake after I 180. I don't have a freecoaster, so when I land backwards, my hub engages and I just stop moving, but I know you don't need a freecoaster to do this trick. Sometimes I can make it look/feel like a really slow fakie and roll out of it but I know I'm doing it incorrectly. I've tried starting to pedal backwards in the air and that helped a little, but it's still not good. What tips do you guys recommend to make that fake happen without a freecoaster?

|

4/29/2020 11:15 AM

Westeegarden wrote:

Hi, I'm not crazy into BMX, I came here from vitalMTB, but I do like to mess around on my BMX bike a bit especially now that we're all quarantined. One trick I really want to get is the 180-fakie-half cab. I can 180 just fine, I can half cab just fine, and I can often fake just fine. The problem I have with putting this trick all together is I can't seem to be able to fake after I 180. I don't have a freecoaster, so when I land backwards, my hub engages and I just stop moving, but I know you don't need a freecoaster to do this trick. Sometimes I can make it look/feel like a really slow fakie and roll out of it but I know I'm doing it incorrectly. I've tried starting to pedal backwards in the air and that helped a little, but it's still not good. What tips do you guys recommend to make that fake happen without a freecoaster?

This is a trick I actually just learned myself. I was in the same boat. No free coaster, can 180 back into a quarter or flat, can fakie from rolling backwards down a ramp. I spent probably over a hour in a bball court trying before I figured it out. I have found that at first I was leaning way too far into my 180 so when I would land my center was too far off to control the fakie. If I keep my hips centered to the frame and focus on only upper body and twisting my hips when I land I’ll still be centered on the bike to immediately start back pedaling into fakie. Another thing I noticed was my speed was too slow to keep momentum after landing the 180 and would basically come to a stop. Go a little faster, not too much, carving helps a lot and huck it. You will get it. Just don’t give up

|

4/29/2020 11:16 AM

Westeegarden wrote:

Also don’t pedal backwards in the air. Atleast not yet. That makes things harder. Ideally you will have enough speed so when you land the slight moment you aren’t pedaling backwards will only slow you down a little before your reaction time kicks in and you realize now is the time to back pedal.

|

4/29/2020 6:15 PM

Thanks dude, the encouragement is appreciated too. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that BMX is often very frustrating. I've managed to keep my cool on this trick however.

|

4/29/2020 7:37 PM

Westeegarden wrote:

Thanks dude, the encouragement is appreciated too. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that BMX is often very frustrating. I've managed to keep my cool on this trick however.

Post when you nailed it. I love when I read someone is having a hard time and makes progress. Without friends or tips on here there’s a lot I wouldn’t have learned. My buddy worked with me for 40 minutes helping me learn smith grinds

|

4/30/2020 1:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/30/2020 1:35 PM

/Users/rosemaryteegarden/Downloads/0430201546~2.mp4
Just got it today. I'm so f*cking stoked on it. The one I managed to get on camera isn't the cleanest, but it's something. Thanks a lot, the tips on leaning and weight really helped me.

|

4/30/2020 4:26 PM

Westeegarden wrote:

/Users/rosemaryteegarden/Downloads/0430201546~2.mp4
Just got it today. I'm so f*cking stoked on it. The one I managed to get on camera isn't the cleanest, but it's something. Thanks a lot, the tips on leaning and weight really helped me.

I tried your link, didn’t work:/ I’m glad you got though my guy. I myself have to keep practicing cuz I still can’t do it every single time, just more than 50% still. What do you want to learn next? I’ve been trying tuck no handers and trying to build the confidence to do a bar spin

|

4/30/2020 5:29 PM

Sorry bout that, yeah I thought I was putting a video directly into the comment, but it turned out to be a link, and I suspected that would happen. I don't know what I did this afternoon, but I kind of reinvented how I spin because now all of a sudden I can do a 270, and I could probably 3 a small ledge (I haven't tried, but I'm confident). I think before I did like 1/3 of my spinning while my rear wheel was still on the ground, and now it's all in the air. I love the feeling. Just look where you want to go and go there. I can put it all (180, fakie, half cab) together about 5% of the time right now, but that will just come with practice. What kind of bar spin do you want to do? I can do a lift bar spin but not a hop bar or off a jump. That's actually another thing I learned to do properly today. I used to bar spin with my forward foot on the pedal and my rear foot on my back peg. That was easier and less scary but didn't look as clean and was harder to work into a line than a regular both-feet-on-the-pedals bar spin so that was among the 3 things I learned this afternoon. I wound up having to put my knees stupid far back for my bars not to hit them. Now there's only one thing I desperately want to learn: grinds. I can kind of grind (pegs, feeble, etc.), but not really.

|

5/3/2020 4:26 PM

Westeegarden wrote:

Sorry bout that, yeah I thought I was putting a video directly into the comment, but it turned out to be a link, and I suspected that would happen. I don't know what I did this afternoon, but I kind of reinvented how I spin because now all of a sudden I can do a 270, and I could probably 3 a small ledge (I haven't tried, but I'm confident). I think before I did like 1/3 of my spinning while my rear wheel was still on the ground, and now it's all in the air. I love the feeling. Just look where you want to go and go there. I can put it all (180, fakie, half cab) together about 5% of the time right now, but that will just come with practice. What kind of bar spin do you want to do? I can do a lift bar spin but not a hop bar or off a jump. That's actually another thing I learned to do properly today. I used to bar spin with my forward foot on the pedal and my rear foot on my back peg. That was easier and less scary but didn't look as clean and was harder to work into a line than a regular both-feet-on-the-pedals bar spin so that was among the 3 things I learned this afternoon. I wound up having to put my knees stupid far back for my bars not to hit them. Now there's only one thing I desperately want to learn: grinds. I can kind of grind (pegs, feeble, etc.), but not really.

good Work on getting the 180’s down. I might have to try what you’re doing because I can almost get 270 but most of it is luck just pulling hard and hoping for the best. I wanted to try and learn flat bars first and skip pull up bars because I know people who are stuck on those. It’s looking like I’ll start with a true xup out of fly out then bar spins then flat bar spins. As far as grinds go, I just got pegs end of March and I picked up grinds pretty quick. I did get fucked up trying to smith this ledge the other day. And I’m afraid of rails because I lost the back oeg a few times and that hard sudden stop really sucks. I need to work on hopping out of a grind which I can do when I’m not tired and set up right. That’s how I fell was not doing a nollie out of the smith and went otb

|