Finally Got FootJam TailWhips & HOW TO

Related:
Create New Tag

8/31/2013 8:42 PM

I've been struggling with this trick since last March. From day one, I was able to jump into them and make the bike spin...but my kicking foot would always drop straight to the ground. I scoured several forums and YouTube videos, but none ever specifically addressed my particular situation. After searching so long, I found that my problem of dropping the kicking foot to the ground seemed to be pretty common, yet never addressed when asked, so I thought I'd share what helped me out: JUMP, KICK, JAM, JUMP BACK WHEN FRAME IS AT 270, RIDE AWAY. **Do all this while watching your pedals!**

I was jumping and kicking at the same time, which messed up my balancing and it is why my kicking foot went straight to the ground after kicking. I literally go through the above sequence, saying it in my head while doing it, and it works like a champ. I now jump straight up, kick with my rear foot, THEN lean forward and jam in with my front foot and always land on my front tire with no problems from my kicking foot hitting the ground.

Even if my bike doesn't spin the whole 360 now and the back tire hits the ground and stops, I can still maintain my balance with my jam foot on the tire and my kicking foot in the air. If I don't land it completely now, it's only because I wasn't going fast enough before initiating the trick.

Hope this helps, and if not, just ask questions. I'm sure there are a ton of people here that can do these without thinking about it now.

|

Winter is over-rated

Click here to check my ride

9/1/2013 10:59 PM

Niceeee good advice but when you say jump do you mean you just jump off your pedals or are you actually supposed to bunny hop into it? Because when I try them my front wheel doesnt come off the ground.

|

9/2/2013 5:07 AM

AK95 wrote:

Niceeee good advice but when you say jump do you mean you just jump off your pedals or are you actually supposed to bunny hop into it? Because when I try them my front wheel doesnt come off the ground.

Yes, I'm talking about jumping off your pedals. No need to bunny hop into it unless you're doing it up onto a curb for example. Good luck!

|

Winter is over-rated

9/12/2013 1:13 PM

Thanks!!

I have the problem of slamming my 'kick' foot down! So you mean jump off both the pedals first? Then kick what part of the bike?

I want to try now but it's cold dark and wet here!!!!

|

9/12/2013 2:46 PM

KarmaRide wrote:

Thanks!!

I have the problem of slamming my 'kick' foot down! So you mean jump off both the pedals first? Then kick what part of the bike?

I want to try now but it's cold dark and wet here!!!!

I jump straight up into the air with both feet at the same time(just say "jump" in your head). Remember, straight up and not forward, or diagonal.

Right after you start your jump, say "kick" in your head). Since it goes from jump to kick so soon, your rear foot will kick the rear of your frame (mine usually hits my chainstay orthe bar above my chainstay). Remember, this all happens super fast, so your body is still jumping up as this is happening. With that in mind, your front foot WILL clear the toptube.

Now, it's time for the jam. I just essentially kick my front foot forward (not my body) so that it lands on my front tire and against my forks.
*Up to this point, my eyes have been focused on the front tire.

At this point, you'll be balanced on your front tire with your bike spinning around. You should now keep your eyes on your pedals. Once your bike gets to about 270, jump back onto your pedals. It may sound sketchy at first, but you'll get it if you commit.

Let me know how it works out for you and also if you need me to explain something better to you. Like I said, I have just started to get these consistently, so my explanation on them is still pretty in depth and detailed which can help others to fit the pieces together. Also, everyone has their own style or technique, this is just how I do it.

|

Winter is over-rated

9/18/2013 7:49 AM

Hi,

Got a chance to give it a go today and it made a hell of a lot of difference! Haven't landed one yet but pretty close! I find I'm mainly kicking the seat stay (that's where the foot marks are anyway!).

I've been trying for months and always put the kick foot down. I've found I can balance for ages if I don't kick at all just let the bike fall round. So I have started leaning slightly into the kick and It's working out with the jump then kick method.

Thanks for the tip really helped me!

|

9/18/2013 9:29 AM

KarmaRide wrote:

Hi,

Got a chance to give it a go today and it made a hell of a lot of difference! Haven't landed one yet but pretty close! I find I'm mainly kicking the seat stay (that's where the foot marks are anyway!).

I've been trying for months and always put the kick foot down. I've found I can balance for ages if I don't kick at all just let the bike fall round. So I have started leaning slightly into the kick and It's working out with the jump then kick method.

Thanks for the tip really helped me!

I'm pumped to hear that man, it sounds like you'll get your first one anytime now! It feels great to be able to balance on that front tire when you've been struggling so long with trying to keep your kicking foot from dropping straight to the ground; it completely breathes new life and motivation into trying to get the trick dialed. Good luck!!!

|

Winter is over-rated

9/21/2013 9:35 PM

Pulled one of these in my entire life. Trying to learn them and doing footjamb 180s seems to help. gonna try your tip and see what it does for me. My balance sucks!

|

In midschool bike rides you.

9/23/2013 2:32 PM

Hope it helps Drew. Being able to do footjam 180s should help you once you take your footjam whips to the bank or quarter too.

|

Winter is over-rated