First bmx build

Related:
Create New Tag

7/15/2017 3:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2017 7:55 PM

Hey guys, i finally pulled the trigger and bought what i think is all that's needed for my build. I would like for you guys to look it over to make sure i didn't miss anything, or if there's anything that i should change. I'd also like some recommendations on wheels. I'm also unsure on what size cables i need for my gyro brake setup. I been looking at the Snafu Astroglide cables.

Here are the things i purchased. I should have till monday to change or add anything on my order.

Frame: HyperBikeCo Wizard 20.4"
BB: Odyssey Mid Bottom Bracket "19mm"
Cranks: Snafu mayweather "170mm"
Pedals: Snafu Anorexic
Sprocket: Tree Original 28T
Chain: Shadow Conspiracy Interlock V2 Half Link
Bars: Snafu Jackson "Scotty Cranmer"
Grips: Snafu Magical
Stem: Snafu Magical front loading clamp
Forks: Snafu Magical
Headset: Snafu Fontanel
Detangler: Snafu "Mobeus"
Gyro plate: Snafu
Seat Post: Snafu Pivotal
Seat: Snafu Signature padded pivotal
Brake lever: Snafu Anchor
Brake:Odyssey Evo 2
Brake Cables: I'm thinking Snafu Astroglide "Not sure length"
Wheels:? Undecided
Tube of Ti-Prep anti-seize compound

|

7/15/2017 6:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/15/2017 6:11 PM

If ur looking for good wheels I suggest a fit bmx oem free coaster wheelset ditch the gyro and run a long straight cable that's what I did. also snafu is a not half bad choice with redline flight locking grips hope this was helpful

|

7/16/2017 4:39 AM

dat_boi_bmx wrote:

If ur looking for good wheels I suggest a fit bmx oem free coaster wheelset ditch the gyro and run a long straight cable ...more

Thanks for the reply. Nice recommendation on wheels, but i'd like go with a cassette hub. As for the gyro, this is my first time ever using a gyro, i've always had the straight cable and want to try out a gyro. I can always remove it later on if i don't like it. I'll take a look at the grips you've mentioned. I notice that grips also have a length and some have flanges on them.

|

7/16/2017 8:51 AM

Never heard of snafu, probably because I'm from Europe, but if snafu parts are good than it looks like a really nice overral bike! So colorfull tho :D

|

7/17/2017 12:39 AM

That sounds disgusting to me. Where's the support for actual bmx companies?
Profile mini's and g sport rims for the wheels.

|

7/17/2017 4:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2017 4:29 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

No support? I been buying wethepeople completes and have owned some GT, Haro bikes before. I'd like to build my first custom bike, sorry i'm not supporting companies that you want me to support. But i like hyperbikes and snafu, i've never owned a hyperbike frame before "always wanted one", but i've owned some snafu parts, and the quality is amazing.

As for the wheels, i was looking into getting either profile mini hubs front and rear or tree hubs, and either G sport rims or Alienation. Still undecided on tires, spokes/nipples, tubes.

Thanks for the reply

|

7/17/2017 7:16 AM

What's your height btw? 20.4 frame might be small

|

7/17/2017 9:32 AM

jorgebernardo wrote:

What's your height btw? 20.4 frame might be small

I'm 5'7" and about 140lbs. Just a lil guy tongue

|

7/17/2017 12:15 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Because maybe the generic parts aren't bad and you don't need the most expensive parts to ever exist

|

7/17/2017 12:54 PM

Non of those companies are rider owned. There's plenty of rider owned companies out there making parts for the same cost.

I've got Alienation felon rims, I'm really impressed with them. They're awesome and a very average price compared to the G sports

|

7/17/2017 1:47 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Non of those companies are rider owned. There's plenty of rider owned companies out there making parts for the same cost.

...more

Are you using felon rims front and back? I'm leaning towards Alienation over g sport.

|

7/19/2017 11:39 PM

Yeah front and rear, built them up about 10 months ago and they haven't come out of true once. I rate them, but the bike snob in me wants g sport rims haha

|

7/21/2017 6:41 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Yeah front and rear, built them up about 10 months ago and they haven't come out of true once. I rate them, but the bike snob ...more

Nice, and I know what you mean. I want to go with gsport birdcage for the front and gsport ribcage for the rear. I'll probably go with Alienation though. I'm doing more research before making the purchase. Hubs will be profile mini or tree. Undecided on spokes.

|

7/21/2017 10:55 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Yeah front and rear, built them up about 10 months ago and they haven't come out of true once. I rate them, but the bike snob ...more

RedTurboMr2 wrote:

Nice, and I know what you mean. I want to go with gsport birdcage for the front and gsport ribcage for the rear. I'll probably ...more

The thing that made me go for the felons over g sport was mainly price, but for nearly half the price they've still got a lot of technology in them. Different grade of alloy compared to most other rims so they're stronger, nice box section, and the spoke holes are drilled at an angle with extra material around them so the nipples aren't being pulled at an angle.
I've got mini's, just got a new front one the other day, I'm bored of the shape of them, but they just feel nice and roll forever. Tree stuff is hard to get in the UK so I've never really looked at their hubs in great detail but the look pretty sick. I hear the front is a bit rubbish if you do a lot of grinds, but the same goes for mini's really.
I'm pegless so rarely snap spokes (think I've legit only ever snapped 2 in 20 odd years of riding) so I went with bsd double butted spokes to see if they'd last or make a difference. I really enjoy building wheels so if they start to snap I'll just get some cheap straight gauge and rebuild them.
Don't get ti spokes, they snap easily. If you get straight gauge they're literally all the same

|

7/22/2017 6:35 AM

I just made my final purchase hopefully.

Front wheel:
Rim: G Sport Birdcage
Hub: Black Profile Mini 10mm Crmo Studs
Spokes: Black Vocal Stainless Steel w/ nipples
Tire: KHE Street 2.1

Rear wheel:
Rim: G Sport Ribcage
Hub: Black Profile Mini Cassette 9T Crmo LHD 14mm hollow Crmo
Spokes: Black Vocal Stainless Steel w/nipples
Tire: Maxxis Grifter 2.1

And two tubes.

|

7/22/2017 11:47 PM

RedTurboMr2 wrote:

I just made my final purchase hopefully.

Front wheel:
Rim: G Sport Birdcage
Hub: Black Profile Mini 10mm Crmo Studs
Spokes: ...more

Awesome wheels!

|

7/25/2017 4:31 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

so are you telling us if FBM's owners stopped riding bikes you'd stop buying their stuff?

|

8/3/2017 11:04 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

weegaz22 wrote:

so are you telling us if FBM's owners stopped riding bikes you'd stop buying their stuff?

If the owners of fbm sold the company to business men that don't ride, yes I'd stop buying their stuff.

|