Front Wheel Dropout Alignment

Related:
Create New Tag

2/3/2016 7:09 AM

disclaimer: I've used the search bar, and google for forty-five minutes to look for a specific answer, but kept getting a wide variety of results, mostly about quick-releases and rear wheels (even though I specify front....unsure )

Where should my front wheel sit in the dropouts?

I'm assuming rule of thumb is they should sit in such a way where the front and rear are level for balance, and am also assuming preference comes into play, but what do you guys think, or have experienced?

Why I ask:
I installed pegs yesterday, and had a washer on there that forced the wheel to sit in a specific spot in the dropout using a small hole and a hook on the washer.

now that washer has been removed, I can freely adjust wheel position.

(I don't think having a washer against the axle and a peg over it is a good idea because i suspect it gives extra leverage to the peg, putting additional, and unnecessary stress on the axle. the washer inside wouldn't make much of a difference)

as it is now, they're all the way in the dropout, axle touching the bottom. I'm not positive, but I'm thinking having the dropouts poking so far out is asking for trouble. plus, rear wheel isn't slammed or anything.

speaking of...if you slam the rear wheel, in this instance should you push the front all the way into the dropout?

thanks!

|

I can't upload a photo for my sig. it's that guy puking really hard, except it's coming out of his ears and eyes, too. just imagine that instead of this text. oh look, there he is now!

2/3/2016 9:26 PM

It doesn't matter where your front wheel is in the dropout, just slam it.You're never going to notice a difference unless you're trying nose mannys and even then it's not all that noticeable. As for matching the two wheels, again, it doesn't matter.

Having the pegs right up against the dropout will increase the strength and stiffness of your front end significantly compared to having the washer between the peg and dropout for the simple reason the the peg has a much larger face than the washer.

If you have a lot of dropout sticking out then eventually if you're grinding, you're probably going the crush or bend the dropout. That said though, it's usually best to have that extra little bit of support from the axle/bolts contacting the back of the dropout. Means that if you bend or break the axle/bolt from grinding, it'll be a lot harder for the wheel to move enough to hit the fork and buck you over the bars.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/4/2016 6:16 AM

appreciate the feedback man. that's how it's set up now, so that's great. if nobody responded I was just going to keep it like that and follow-up for anyone who comes across this, glad to have confirmation.

i'll keep that in mind when i start grinding, watch out for the dropout, make it clean.

|

I can't upload a photo for my sig. it's that guy puking really hard, except it's coming out of his ears and eyes, too. just imagine that instead of this text. oh look, there he is now!