HOW TO LAND TRICKS???

Related:
Create New Tag

10/10/2017 9:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/10/2017 9:15 PM

Hey guys, yes I made a new account cause some how the number was changed in my username lol, dumb reason to start a new one IDC tho lol...
But what's up guys?? I'm 23 years old, im just getting back into riding BMX again after 6-7 years of not riding at all, I lost all my progress i had in BMX.. But anyway I used to be really good at BMX an I use to able to bar spin, 180, 180 bar spin, 360, 360 bar spin, tail whip an bunny hop decently high, at least onto a picnic table an a few other tricks..
So my questions for you guys are::
1.) Does the size of the bike have a lot to do with me not landing any tricks??
2.) Is doing and landing the tricks a 90% mental battle when it comes down to it??
3.) How to do a bar spin?? I get the concept of it, just can't do it...
4.) How do I get the bike to rotate 180 degrees?? An when should I spin the bars doing the 180??
5.) How to get the bike to rotate 360 degrees?? An when should i spin the bars while doing a 360??
6.) How to land a tail whip?? As in, how do I get the bike to go all the way around ((without spinning the bars)) quick enough before i hit or land on the ground??
Any advice, help, hints, or tips to land them would be really appreciated, thanks guys..
((P.S. I get the concept of doing all the tricks, but cant do them anymore, if that makes sense at all))

|

#BIKELIFE

10/10/2017 11:20 PM

1. Depends how big your bike is

2. You need to learn technique for tricks, but yeah, actually pulling them comes down to being committed.

3, 4, 5. Don't carve too much. Use your body to spin the bike, not the bike to spin your body. Just start to twist your body as you pull up, hop, continue turning your body. You around be at 90 when at your highest.
It's the same with 360's, but you spin faster. Usually you'll still only be at 90ish at you highest point, but drop your inside shoulder and continue to look over your shoulder/where you want to land.
Throwing a barspin into it comes with confidence. Usually you'd throw the bars when you're at or near the highest point of the hop.

6. Never been able to tailwhip myself. Got fairly close to whops once upon a time. Might actually get back on them. But they're so common I don't know if I can be bothered

|

10/11/2017 5:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/11/2017 11:51 AM

SengerBMX553 wrote:

Hey guys, yes I made a new account cause some how the number was changed in my username lol, dumb reason to start a new one IDC tho lol...
But what's up guys?? I'm 23 years old, im just getting back into riding BMX again after 6-7 years of not riding at all, I lost all my progress i had in BMX.. But anyway I used to be really good at BMX an I use to able to bar spin, 180, 180 bar spin, 360, 360 bar spin, tail whip an bunny hop decently high, at least onto a picnic table an a few other tricks..
So my questions for you guys are::
1.) Does the size of the bike have a lot to do with me not landing any tricks??
2.) Is doing and landing the tricks a 90% mental battle when it comes down to it??
3.) How to do a bar spin?? I get the concept of it, just can't do it...
4.) How do I get the bike to rotate 180 degrees?? An when should I spin the bars doing the 180??
5.) How to get the bike to rotate 360 degrees?? An when should i spin the bars while doing a 360??
6.) How to land a tail whip?? As in, how do I get the bike to go all the way around ((without spinning the bars)) quick enough before i hit or land on the ground??
Any advice, help, hints, or tips to land them would be really appreciated, thanks guys..
((P.S. I get the concept of doing all the tricks, but cant do them anymore, if that makes sense at all))

OK.... uh.... If you were "really good" 6-7 years ago, you should be able to pull tricks similarly than years ago, albeit on a lesser level. I didn't ride for 15 years & while slow at first, I quickly was able to get back to a reasonable basic level. My biggest hurdle was getting used to the new geos of the bikes today compared to what I once rode. While I did that, I am still experimenting with bike sizes, handlebar heights, etc... trying to dial in what feels best for me. THAT, for me anyway, has been very helpful! Once you feel comfortable on a bike, tricks are much easier as the bike is more a part of you than a hindrance. I think you are in a similar but different situation. If you are 23 now & last rode 7 years ago, there's a great chance you are a different size and have different muscle development than you did then. As such, riding the same bike you did then might feel completely foreign. So pay attention to that. If your bike suddenly feels small or that you have no leverage, maybe new bars are something to think about (I just picked up an 09 bike with 7" rise bars. it was nearly unridable for me as far as tricks were concerned. I switched them for 10's & it made all the difference for me).

As for the tricks, I'd advise checking this out:

https://riders.co/en/bmx/

THEN, TAKE IT SLOW! One trick (one part of a trick) at a time. Nobody pics up a bike as a noob and 180 bar spins immediately. First, get your hops good. Then get your 180's dialed (when they are mastered, start working on 360's). Then get your hop spins. Once those are mastered, THEN throw them (hop spins) into a 180 bar spin.

When doing whips, it isn't all about an actual whip. Once the frame is in the whip, you need to manipulate the bars to help spin the frame.

P.S. On another note, we are only 2 hours away from each other.

|

10/11/2017 3:12 PM

Grumoy Steve: Needless to say I'm 6'4" an it's to small for me I know that already lol... I try to use my body to turn the bike an when doing a 180 I only get to 90 degrees so I'm not using my body enough to get that full 180... Next time I'll have to try dropping my shoulder when I go to 180 or 360.. an I have a lot of confidence in myself but it's the mental battle screwing me on it all lol... I really wanna get these tricks down again...

Mishinn_Control: An I was really good 6-7 years ago, I just got another bike an just got back to riding, an I can pull similarity tricks just not as good as I used to be able to... Every one is different when it comes down to it, some ppl take longer to get the hang of doing the tricks again an some ppl can do it like it's nothing after not riding for a while... An yea size bikes an handle bars have a lot to do with it also, an my bike is was to small for me, an the handle bars are really small for me at the same time, I need a big bike like a 20.75" to 21.5" bike... An your right if an when you feel comfortable on a bike it will be much easier but I'm not comfortable with my bike cause it's way to damn small for me... 6-7 years ago I was 16-17 yrs old an was about 6 feet tall or so or maybe even taller an yea I do have a different muscle development now from then... An no I had a different bike back then compared to what I have now, an my bars are tiny bro like I feel like a hunch back on my bike, that's how small they are, an I need bars with a 8"-10" rise on them... Oh I bet it did make all difference, an I'm sure it would make a huge difference for me if I got bigger bars... I will check that website out when I can.. well I know that no noob will pick up a bike an 180 bar immediately, an yea I know I have to take it slowly but I just wanted some info on it all so I can keep all this in mind at the same time... Yea the whips is gonna be the hardest one to learn again....

Sweet shit, where you located at bro??? An I'll post a pic of my bike an bars Ina second...

|

#BIKELIFE

10/11/2017 3:15 PM

So here's a pic of my bike an my handle bars... An I noticed that my bars are to far forward too....

Photo

|

#BIKELIFE

10/11/2017 3:16 PM

An here's the barsPhoto

|

#BIKELIFE

10/11/2017 3:18 PM

Here's my other set of bars, not much bigger but they are wider....

Photo

|

#BIKELIFE

10/11/2017 3:26 PM

You find me on Instagram @sengerbmx553

|

#BIKELIFE

10/11/2017 3:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/13/2017 10:28 AM

Looks like the 7's I just pulled off that other bike. With your height, get 10's. Eastern has some that are only like $30. Also, I'm sure it's just you trying to compensate for the small bike, but those bars look like they aren't doing you any favors. Your weight is going to be too far over your front end. At MOST, they should be completely perpendicular to the ground. Best case, they should be aligned with the forks. There's are a couple frames for sale right now. Ones a 21.5'

|

10/11/2017 3:43 PM

Oh nice lmmfao... An yea I was thing about 9.75"-10" rise bars...
I kinda wanna try 4 piece bars just cause I never rode then before...
oh nice, I'll have to check eastern out Ina few minutes, but that's all Ima be able to do, cause I don't have any money to buy new bars...
An no the bike is actually small in person lol, an God no these bars ain't doing me any good at all what so ever...
An yea I know that one, my bars being to far forward don't help any either lol...
Yea I know that's how the bars are suppose to be an I have to realign my bars...
Oh nice an like I said ima only be able to look cause I ain't got no money to buy anything sad

|

#BIKELIFE

10/11/2017 3:55 PM

At eastern bikes website theres all this, there cheapest stuff for my size....
But like I said no money, so no parts for me sad

Throttle bars - 10" rise bars - gloss black - $29.94

Reaper X frame - 21" - gloss black - $369.95

Repeater frame - 21.169" - gloss black - $199.94

|

#BIKELIFE

10/13/2017 12:06 AM

The top tube of my bike measures at 20 1/4", ((if not possible)) then it would be 20 inches....
Minimum length I need from 20" to be comfortable riding is another 3/4" to make it 20.75" for the smallest bike I need....
Minimum length I need from 20 1/4" to be comfortable riding is another 1/2" to make it 20.75" for the smallest bike I need....
Maximum length I need from 20" to be comfortable riding is gonna be another 1 1/2" to make it 21.5" for the biggest bike I need....
Maximum length I need from 20 1/4" to be comfortable riding is gonna be another 1 1/4" to make it 21.5" for the biggest bike I need....
Then from the top of the seat to the middle of the bottom bracket measures to 11.5"-12" an I think thats to small too...
Measuring my bars from the middle bottom of the bars where they get clamped down to by the stem, to the top of the middle cross bar is 4 3/4" rise, so those bars are really to small for me...

|

#BIKELIFE

10/13/2017 10:36 AM

SengerBMX553 wrote:

The top tube of my bike measures at 20 1/4", ((if not possible)) then it would be 20 inches....
Minimum length I need from 20" to be comfortable riding is another 3/4" to make it 20.75" for the smallest bike I need....
Minimum length I need from 20 1/4" to be comfortable riding is another 1/2" to make it 20.75" for the smallest bike I need....
Maximum length I need from 20" to be comfortable riding is gonna be another 1 1/2" to make it 21.5" for the biggest bike I need....
Maximum length I need from 20 1/4" to be comfortable riding is gonna be another 1 1/4" to make it 21.5" for the biggest bike I need....
Then from the top of the seat to the middle of the bottom bracket measures to 11.5"-12" an I think thats to small too...
Measuring my bars from the middle bottom of the bars where they get clamped down to by the stem, to the top of the middle cross bar is 4 3/4" rise, so those bars are really to small for me...

Be sure you are measuring from the proper points. Typically, all measurements are done from the middle of the connecting tubes. So, for TT length, you measure from the middle of the seat tube to the middle of the head tube. Likewise, for handlebars, you measure from the middle of the clamp area tube to an imaginary line straight up that would go directly thru the center of the grips.

For reference (in case you hadn't already seen this):

Photo

As for frames, the largest frames that are generally available for the tallest of us is a 21.5. If you want anything larger, you either go with a 22" wheeled bike (they have longer TT options) or you go custom (which isn't cheap). S&M offers custom frames where you can pick nearly everything from TT length to chain stay length.

|

10/13/2017 3:45 PM

Yea I know where to measure it from lol, I did that last night an what I have above is what I got for measurements lol...
I don't want a bike any bigger then 21.5" that's the exact size I want, an I'm gonna custom build a 21.5" bike sooner or later an hell yea it's gonna be expensive as all hell...

|

#BIKELIFE