Headset help

Related:
Create New Tag

12/21/2020 8:54 AM

This headset install doesn't appear right. This is a Sunday Wave C and fork using a Odyssey (Campy) headset. PhotoEverything is tight (no binding) and no play/wiggle. All frames that I see the bearing is fully recessed in the head tube. These bearings extend about 2-3mm above/below the head tube. The bearings contact the head tube properly. Do I need to get an 1 1/8 headset that has cups (Mission conversion/recommendation) or thinner bearings? Bought used, don't know the year of the frame. Thanks for any help.
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

12/21/2020 11:16 AM

You have unnecessary parts involved, pretty sure your fork has an integrated race, and it looks like you might be also running an additional race which isn't needed. Go to YouTube and search "BMX headset" you should find all your answers...

|

12/21/2020 12:56 PM

Black Swamp Ghost appreciate the response. You are correct the fork has a race. The parts I have installed are the fork, bearing, head tube, bearing, wedge, dust cap, spacer, stem then fork cap. I watched the Brant_Moore headset video on Youtube and followed his directions. Took a screen shot of the head tube from the Sunday site to compare to my Sunday frame. My head tube doesn't have the shoulders that go around the bearings. The 45' angle is at the cup edge not lower in the head tube. Photo
Photo
Photo

|

2/6/2021 11:07 PM

I’m look g at this headtube and it doesn’t look like an integrated headtube. The shoulders look short and not cupped like a campy style headtube. Strange...but looks like and older mid school frame with bearing press HT not integrated. This would be why the bearings do not fit. It should be bearing bottom, bearing top, compression ring, dust cover, and then any spacers. Bearings literally should pop right in top and bottom. This is a head scratcher.

|

3/31/2021 8:40 PM

Does anybody know how to put on a eastern throttle forks with a Sunday headset because every time I tighten it and do a bunny hop it becomes loosen

|